• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge (Ver. 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleet

Forum Lurker
    Years
    Okey Dokey, Think i'll do the water type challenge. If that goes well, i'll move on to something more challenging next time.

Update: Started the game and chose Totodile as a Starter as I plan to keep Feraligatr in my team.

Edit: Oops, sorry forgot this bit :P

Username: Sleet
    Type: Water
    Version: Heart Gold

Years
    Pokemon HGSS Monotype Challenge V2!
    Update #4

I really like this quote!

Effortlessly thrashed the two trainers. :)

Pidgey wasn't a problem.. Until the next one. )(*@&$*()&$ I thought it was Level 9, like in Pokemon Crystal (which I played a while ago)!

And that got my Furry down to zero health.
    "Winner, Falkner!"
    Don't worry Furry, we'll train harder and beat him!

Furry - Level 13 Sentret
    Hasty/Run Away
    - Tackle
    - Foresight
    - Fury Swipes
    - Quick Attack

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    I think changing the time is allowed. Who wakes up at 6am to play anyway XD And Ledian has crap attack stat. ><

That may be true, but considering no other bug type in generation 1 or 2 (to my knowledge), can learn a dragon OR ice type move, Ledian's kind've the only one truly capable of taking down Claire and Lance, XD

I take that back she can't learn them until after the move tutor :S And that's 32 BP each, nevermind, rofl. She'll be temporary, as unless I use Beedrill, she's the only bug type I'll have until Heracross. XD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2010
    um one last question is it okay if u hatch the pokemon in another game and then transfer it to hgss for example hacthing my houndour then tradinng it to hgss?

Sleet

Forum Lurker
    Years
    Update Time!! :)

So after picking the Water Mono-Type challenge I chose Totodile as my Starter as I may keep him as I want Feraligater.

I decided to name my Totodile "Haribo" for some reason but i've grown on the name now. I made my way to Mr Pokemons house pretty easily showing no mercy to the many Hoothoot's and Ratattas that dared cross Haribo and I's path.

When I arrived at Mr Pokemons house he gave me a pokemon egg to give to Prof Elm and sent me on my way. I easily beat my rival who i named Silver (Inventive isn't it)

So eventually I ended up in Violet City with Haribo at level 13. Unfortunatley I haven't been able to catch any additional water pokemon for my party yet but I do plan to so don't worry :P

I made it easily through Root Tower with Haribo now at level 15 and ready for my battle with Falkner.

The two trainers at the Gym were pretty poor and were all defeated in OHKO'S then came Falkner who was also pretty easy despite a scary moment when his Pidgeotto brought Haribos health down to 7 hp but I finished it off with one last Bite :)

So with Falkner defeated I decided to take a break and post an Update on here :D

I have to say I am enjoying this very much so far and am enjoying the challenge of only using one type and will update regularly :D

One thing I have to ask EJ, Is it ok if I transfer a Remoraid egg and Seel egg over to my HeartGold please?

My Current Team:

"Haribo" the Totodile
    Impish Nature
    LV 16
    -Scratch
    -Bite
    -Water Gun
    -Rage

Badges Obtained:

Last edited:

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    Nevermind on the Ledian Front... forgot they aren't TMs anymore, and BP are pretty much impossible to get to train her. :S I may have to temporarily use her though, as I have no

My team will be... (And Claire/Lance are going to be epically hard... I may have to Guillotine with Pinsir, XD)

Ariados (Spider vs Birds, epic first gym battle, XD)
    Heracross
    Venomoth
    Yanmega
    Pinsir

Forretress or Scyther~

Not sure if I want Forretress or Scyther, simply because I can't evolve Scyther on an emulator ._.; Whereas Foretress has the defensive stats to withstand some strong attacks...

Obviously, this will be HeartGold, and the bug challenge. :P

Years
    um one last question is it okay if u hatch the pokemon in another game and then transfer it to hgss for example hacthing my houndour then tradinng it to hgss?

I think you have to transfer the egg, so that OT will be you.

One thing I have to ask EJ, Is it ok if I transfer a Remoraid egg and Seel egg over to my HeartGold please?

Water types are really abundant so I don't think so. Not so sure whether you can capture Remoraid, but Seel definitely in the game.

Nevermind on the Ledian Front... forgot they aren't TMs anymore, and BP are pretty much impossible to get to train her. :S I may have to temporarily use her though, as I have no

My team will be... (And Claire/Lance are going to be epically hard... I may have to Guillotine with Pinsir, XD)

Ariados (Spider vs Birds, epic first gym battle, XD)
    Heracross
    Venomoth
    Yanmega
    Pinsir

Forretress or Scyther~

Not sure if I want Forretress or Scyther, simply because I can't evolve Scyther on an emulator ._.; Whereas Foretress has the defensive stats to withstand some strong attacks...

Obviously, this will be HeartGold, and the bug challenge. :P

I was really impressed by how one can use Ledian after reading the Smogon article; switch in on EQ, Encore, and start setting up. Power.

I took down Clair/Lance the first time using Butterfree (Sleep Powder + Psychic, Compoundeyes rocked my world). Once I got my Armaldo, Lance falls to Rock Slides.

You can 'evolve' Scyther through save file editing after you get the Metal Coat on the S.S. Anne, but Scyther himself is already powerful if you want.. Forretress tanked Outrage pretty well on my Bug playthrough.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    I think I'll be going with Forretress, just because I need some sort of defense, and Pinsir pretty much replaces Scyther xD

I am curious though: Where do you get a Claw Fossil? I might replace Ariados with Armaldo after I can get one o_o

Years
    I think I'll be going with Forretress, just because I need some sort of defense, and Pinsir pretty much replaces Scyther xD

I am curious though: Where do you get a Claw Fossil? I might replace Ariados with Armaldo after I can get one o_o

Forretress with Gyro Ball would be good. :) If you have time, you can breed Pineco with a Shuckle for Power Trick, which switches attack/defense stats.

Claw Fossil's in the Cliff Cave, Rock Smashable, after the National Dex.

-----------------------------------------
    Update #5 - Short Update

We said we're gonna train; and we did! Me and Furry trained hard at Route 32, defeating countless Rattatas, Ekans, and Bellsprouts (ran from Mareep o.o) to reach Level 14!
    And we got Falkner! Fury Swipes hit 4/5 times on his Pidgeotto :D Lucky me.

:)

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    List has been updated. If I missed somebody, let me know.

Sleet: I allow egg trading out of necessity, not preference.

Brownz boyz: Egg must hatch in-game so that it won't disobey you/make training easier.

This is a challenge, guys so just do what the rules say...you know unless the rules aren't clear enough.

Last edited:

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    I would like to be counted in for this challenge please. I will be starting in a few minutes on heartgold with steel type. I will be trading over to my soulsilver to evolve scyther and onix. I will also be trading over a skarmory egg from my soulsilver.

Years
    Update #6
    Picture heavy, hence SPOILERed.

Spoiler:

Next few updates will have less pictures.. Too hard to manage and I think too much pictures won't be as entertaining lol.

Last edited:

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    Ok, just started the challenge, unfortunately, I must go to bed, just wanted to get it started while it was night to get my true starter pokemon.

Yes, I will nickname my full team, XD Charlotte is obviously based on "Charlotte's Web" :P

Depending on if I can find a reliable recording software (Hypercam isn't very good >_>) I may upload videos of my gym battles/major battles to youtube, like I did for a bit with the Ultimate Monotype Challenge, before I was forced to remove them by youtube :P

Otherwise, I will simply upload pics, XD I will prob. not be able to get much progress until Sat/Sun, due to a busy week, but I shall try~

And a note as to why I chose chikorita: I wanted this to be a Challenge. By choosing Chikorita, my Rival has Cyndaquil, which is at an advantage to all the bugs that will be on my team. :)

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    If I do the Dark type challenge, I'm allowed to get a Larvitar / Seedot / Carvanha / Murkrow egg at the early game, right?

TotoPacMan

*insert witty title*
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2024
    I HAVE DONE NOTHING. literally, nothing. beat the kimono gals and ho-oh. grinding. then i got explorers of sky and.... well... currently on route 27. no Atila ;(. (needed waterfall slave)

Team:

Atila the Hardy Kangaskhan
    Lv.43
    Dizzy Punch
    Crunch
    Surf
    Outrage

G-rap the Serious Girafarig
    Lv.41
    Psychic
    Assurance
    Double Hit
    Charge Beam

Big Mama the Timid Granbull
    Lv.42
    Strength
    Flamethrower
    Bite
    Sludge Bomb

Arme the Docile Persian
    Lv.42
    Slash
    Fake Out
    Faint Attack
    Power Gem

Pam the Hardy Ambipom
    Lv.42
    Double Hit
    Screech
    Sand-Attack
    Astonish

TriHead the Hardy Dodrio
    Lv.42
    Pursuit
    Double Hit
    Tri Attack
    Agility

gonna get rid of Tri attack soon. TriHead's attack is 30 points higher than her Sp. Atk. T_T

baaaaaahhhh.... i need some inspiration. i might forget about here again

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2010
    UPDATE: i started the challenge with totodile as my starter got the egg from mr. pokemon and beat my rival so i can trade from my diamond and platinum(eggs) right now i have my sneasel egg, murkrow egg, carvanha egg and larvitar egg. i still have my absol and houndour egg but i want to know how many eggs u can have befroe the gym? and if i can trade my magmar over to help hatch my larvitar egg and maybe the others? ( 10,000 steps without a bike that early in the game is gonna take A LONG time xD)

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Yeah, early egg trading for larvitar, etc is allowed.

Totopacman: your Granbull makes me cry =/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back