• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emlam

Old School
Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Sure, but my point is you can beat the gyms directly before and after Misty with pretty weak Pokemon; Starmie seems disproportionately strong. :P

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • It is, but that's because
    a) Brock has no Rock type moves. And any intelligent player can get around Onix's Bide with growl or tail whip or something. This makes Pokemon like Butterfree usable (because if Onix knew Rock Throw it would be ridiculous).
    b) as you said, Lt. Surge is a joke if you have a Ground type Pokemon. The most commonly used is either Geodude or Diglett. If you have a Geodude, only normal type attacks hit, and are not very effective. If you have a Diglett, you take more damage, but are faster. His signature move is Thunderbolt, which doesn't effect either of those Pokemon.
    c) Once again on Lt. Surge, you are required to get the move Dig before you fight him. In Red/Blue, Dig is overpowered (100 Power, 100 Acc.). Many Pokemon can learn this move, including your starter unless you chose Bulbasaur (which you don't have because we're talking about how hard Misty is without a proper Grass type), so there is a good chance that at least one of your Pokemon can get near a OHKO on all of his Pokemon. But with Misty, there's just no way around her signiture attack, Bubblebeam, which has a base 97.5 base power (65 + STAB bonus). The only Pokemon that can resist this move that early in the game are Squirtle/Wartortle, Paras, or like Magikarp (which I doubt you will try to use unless you evolve it by then, which again, I doubt).

Edit: I changed the rule about no Ghost, Ice, or Dragons. Some of you guys (me included) are doing the Ultimate Monotype Challenge in various types, and I want the rules here to match the rules there. So, if you are using one of those types, hack it in at the beginning. Otherwise, no hacking. And with that, I am starting my Ghost Challenge!

Last edited:

TehYoshiNinja

Back, again.
    Years
  • Ah, sweet. However... due to my tendency to forget to save, and the suckiness of my laptop...

Riiiight as I finished up in the SS Anne, I kinda got a Blue Screen of Death -.-

Typing this on my friend's computer. Until it gets fixed, there'll be no updates, unless I start yet ANOTHER Monotype.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • well, i have a bit of time to play before dinner.

Part 1: The spooky beginning

Today was a big day. I turned 10 and got my first Pokemon. Professor Oak had three choices for me and his grandson, Spam. I got to choose between a Bulbasaur, a Charmander, and a Squirtle. I picked Bulbasaur, because I liked the vines that it could use. Stupid Spam chose the Charmander, I think just because it was strong against me. We battled afterwards, and I won. I went to the nearby city to buy some Pokeballs so I could start my adventure. But, the store clerk made me go take Oak a Package. When I got back, I got a Pokedex in exchange. Then, I made it to the city a second time. I bought a couple of Pokeballs and went to the nearby route, to catch some Pokemon. All of a sudden it got all cold. I could see a ghost up ahead, and it was looking at me. I sent out Bulbasaur for protection. Bulbasaur spit seeds at the ghost from on its back, and somehow they hit the ghost. It gave Bulbasaur a big lick on the face. How weird. Then, I could see the seeds sprouting all over the Ghost's body. Life force seemed to suck itself out of the ghost and into bulbasaur, which made it feel better. Bulbasaur couldn't hit it with tackle, so he had to just growl at it. Eventually, when enough life force had drained from it, I decided to throw a Pokeball. One wiggle. Two wiggles. Three wiggles. The ghost was mine. I decided to name it Reaper. Reaper and I started training. I realized he could lick opponents, confuse them, and use some weird attack that turned the air dark and hurt them. I decided to name the attack Night Shade.

Reaper and I trained and trained, all over the place. We beat Spam again and I realized how good Reaper was. Pretty soon after that, I found myself fighting a Gym Leader, Brock. But if this battle proved to be like any of the others, Reaper would once again be untouchable. He was. I went into a cave after battling a few trainers.
    Gave up on writing a story.
    Beat Spam, and realized that Ghost doesn't effect Psychic in this generation. WTF?
    Evolved Reaper on the slowpoke trainer.
    Got to Bill and got the ticket.
    Beat Spam.
    Got Cut and got the Bike Vocher.
    Went to fight Lt. Surge to try and get another move.
    Opened the doors on my first attempt (although the first switch was in the last can that I checked). This is a first.
    Got out of the Rock Tunnel paralyzed with 4 HP left. Phew.
    Beat Erika after getting psychic and one hitting the entire fighting dojo without healing. This completed my moveset of Psychic, Mega Drain, Thunderbolt, and Hypnosis.
    Beat Koga and Blaine easily.
    Sabrina gave me problems, but I beat her.
    Giovanni was easy, as was Spam.
    Got through Victory Road.
    Loreli was easy. Thunderbolt didn't kill dewgong, so while it rested i used mega drain and then another thunderbolt. Cloyster and slowbro fell to one thunderbolt each. Jynx and lapras took two each.
    Bruno took 5 hits. 3 were psychic and 2 were mega drain.
    Agatha was the toughest, and all of her ghosts took multiple hits. The other two did not.
    Lance couldn't touch me (I think, the battle went by so quickly)
    Had to use an elixer.
    Rival lost to thunderbolt, hypnosis thunderbolt thunderbolt, mega drain, hypnosis and a few psychics, thunderbolt, thunderbolt thunderbolt.

And I won! 4/15 done.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Argh, I'll try this again.

I'll use pokémon Blue and go with Psychic type. To feel like a superhero, blasting everything away with Kadabra~

EDIT:

Kay update. I picked Bulbasaur, just to beat the first gyms quickly before I can get my hands on Abra and Drowzee. Though, I'll need to use Bulbasaur a bit more, since Abra doesn't learn any attacking move before evolving, right? :/ unless I'll get Drowzee before that... anywhoo.

Beat Rival, got pokédex, got through Viridian, beat Brock on first try.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Well... that was quick XD

Nice run. What level was Reaper by the end? Must have been pretty high.
    Just checked. He was at level 63. So yeah, pretty high. I'm doing the ultimate monotype challenge in every type, so now i'm trying to determine if i want to do all the gen 1 games first, or do it by type.
    Argh, I'll try this again.

I'll use pokémon Blue and go with Psychic type. To feel like a superhero, blasting everything away with Kadabra~

EDIT:

Kay update. I picked Bulbasaur, just to beat the first gyms quickly before I can get my hands on Abra and Drowzee. Though, I'll need to use Bulbasaur a bit more, since Abra doesn't learn any attacking move before evolving, right? :/ unless I'll get Drowzee before that... anywhoo.

Lol, I remember my psychic run. It was so easy. I thought I would be using Kadabra for most everything, but as soon as I beat Misty and the Pokemon Tower, I went all the way to Fuchsia and got a Starmie, then went back and completely destroyed everyone with it. But yeah, you can use your Bulbasaur to help train Abra, that's what I did.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010

Well, you can always teach it some stupid little TM like Mega Punch if you really want it to be able to attack. :P

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well, you can always teach it some stupid little TM like Mega Punch if you really want it to be able to attack. :P

It hasn't got that big ATK stat though, right? So it wouldn't be that great :p but yeah, I guess.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Oh no, its Attack is pathetic. :P I always taught it Mega Punch because it seemed slightly less useless that way, though. XD And that way if something big KOed my main attacker but had only a few HP left, I could at least use Abra's speed to swoop in and finish it for a big exp. bonus.
    Not that that happens very often in practice unless you try to.

AnjinMiura_PL

Challenger Extraordinaire (?)
    Years
  • Okay, last update before E4 ;)

Spoiler:

EDIT:

Okay, I started a epic battle with Elite Four ;) I tried to record it with GBA, but something went wrong and I've recorded only battle with Lorelei, in size 160x144 also :/ Anyway, if somebody wants I can upload it somewhere ;)

I didn't do any screens, because I thought that I'm still recording that. Damn :/ Only Hall Of Fame screenshots, to prove my victory ;) And short description also (WARNING: It's so long xD)

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2010
    Just defeated Erica, going to head onto the whole rocket thing now.

here is my current team after defeating erica.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Second update. Went to and through Mount Moon and reached Cerulean. Battled Rival PAMPERS.
    It was reeeeally tough with just Ivysaur. Lost once. I want to get my hands on Kadabra!

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2013
    I'd like to do Normal type in Pokemon Blue

Name: pleryt16
    Game: Blue
    Type: Normal

Chose Squirtle (to teach Surf)
    Beat DJ (rival)
    Got Pokedex
    Caught Rattata, Pidgey, and Spearow
    Trained them all to level 10
    Beat DJ again
    Trained Rattata and Spearow to level 13
    Trained Pidgey to level 16
    Beat Brock

Team:
    Rattata level 13
    Tackle
    Tail Whip
    Quick Attack

Spearow level 13
    Peck
    Growl
    Leer

Pidgey level 16
    Gust
    Sand Attack
    Quick Attack

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    *Third update*

Fought some trainers around Cerulean, but saved some for later.
    Went to Bill's.
    Found an Abra north of Cerulean! Kept using Ivysaur to train it though.
    Beat the gym and Misty, leveling up Abra a bit.
    Went to Vermilion and caught Drowzee!

Drowzee is low level and Abra can't fight... am I allowed to use Ivysaur to level them up at least against wild pokémon? I'd figure not, since it wouldn't really be in the spirit of the challenge... :p

Team:

Abra
    Lv 12

Drowzee
    Lv 12

Ivysaur
    Slave/training

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2013
    Well, I caught a jigglypuff and taught it bide and water gun
    I evolved jigglypuff to wigglytuff after it learned pound
    Got through Mt. Moon
    Trained team to 20
    Met Bill
    Beat Misty
    Caught Meowth and in progress of training

Team:
    Meowth level 18
    Scratch
    Growl
    Bite
    Pay Day

Pidgeotto level 22
    Gust
    Sand-Attack
    Quick Attack
    Whirlwind

Fearow level 22
    Peck
    Growl
    Leer
    Fury Attack

Raticate level 22
    Tackle
    Growl
    Quick Attack
    Hyper Fang

Wigglytuff level 23
    Sing
    Water Gun
    Bide
    Pound

Should I have Snorlax for last member or not?

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Snorlax is a slow grower, but it's tough ... and you can teach it Surf if you want. :P

I've always preferred Tauros because slow Pokemon bug me, but Snorlax is easier to catch without cheating.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Area 3 of the Safari Zone (or any right-side shoreline after visiting it) in Red/Blue, Area 1 of the Safari Zone in Yellow.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back