• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Most Frustrating Gym Leader?

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I always thought Tate and Liza were the most frustrating =\ And Norman was really annoying to beat -___-

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    Tate and Liza took me ages to beat. I hated having to do it as a double battle.

Years
    I wud say Brawly was pretty hard for me, as i was training Torchic (at that time, lvl 12), Poochyena (lvl 11) and Lotad (lvl 11)...
    Couldnt do it, so first delivered letter, then, leveled until evolve, then Kicked his sorry b*tt

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Norman, I got is all of is pokemon down to red health and every time he would heal them, it was really annoying

ThePokemaster999

Master Of All Pokemon
    Years
    I'm curious to know which Gym Leader you found the most frustrating/difficult in Pokemon Emerald.

I had never let all(or even most) of my Pokemon team faint in battle until I fought Winona, the flying master of Fortree City. Most of her team wasn't too difficult, but her Altaria kept taking out my team using Earthquake. The Pokemon that I have who aren't vulnerable to Earthquake were vulnerable to Aerial Ace. It was so frustrating, and it took three attempts before I finally won using the right Pkmn in the right matchups. Poseidon, my Marshtomp claimed the victory against Altaria. :)

Who have you had problems battling with? Obviously people like the Elite Four and such are difficult, but I'm curious about all of the other in-game trainers/gym leaders. Anyone else had issues with Winona?

I did- my level 40 Manectric kept KO'd by altaria's EQ right before it ko'd altaria. other than winona i didn't have much trouble with the hoenn gym leaders

jammi567

For me, it has to be Watson. I Sapphire, i had an Aron at around level 20, and i thought i could pawn him (Electric being ineffective against Ground. It took me close to 20 trys to beat him. After that, i zoomed through the game. Even the bloosy Elite 4 weren't as hard as him, comparictivly speaking.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2008
    I have to say that Norman or Wattson. Norman is just difficult with his Slaking and Wattson was just hell to take down when I replayed the game and chose Treeko. Uneven training while fighting Wattson didn't help either. ><

Years
    Hmmm... lemme think...

Ruby: Brawly (Only cuz I had full offense, and no Special offense eheh)
    Sapphire: Tate and Liza because they, well they just pwned me!
    Emerald: Hmmmm... none. Haha I only use three Pokémon when I go through each game (with the exception of two HM slaves), which were Swampert, Alakazam, and Golbat (Golbat is surprisingly strong after it evolves from Zubat), and they all held tough against each Gym.

That's all.

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    In Emerald:
    I had a hard time defeating Juan. I couldn't manage to beat him, because of Kingdra. Therefore, I played "cheap" and captured Rayquaza with a few Ultra Balls in Sky Pillar (It opens once you do the miniquest of going to it and breaking the fighting with Groudon and Kyogre.)
    I beat him easily afterward.

Yani

Anime Fanatic
    Years
    hmmmm....I think I had trouble fighting with Brawly...Since my Marshtomp wasn't that strong yet...>.< but the rest were easy to defeat...^_^

ThePokemaster999

Master Of All Pokemon
    Years
    Tate and Liza? Now I'm curious to see what these people are all about. :D

I think my main problem with Winona was the fact that I was using:

*Tropius
    *Swellow
    ^^Both weak against Aerial Ace

*Trapinch
    *Magnemite
    *Aron
    *Marshtomp
    ^^All weak against Earthquake

All were between level 26-35. I've changed out Tropius to try out Kecleon for awhile. I love my team, but they all had a major weakness to one of her two best moves. Oh well, it adds a challenge I suppose. :)

Swellow's a flying type how's it weak against Aerial Ace?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 15, 2007
    I'm with you on Winona. Mightyena just couldn't do forever I suppose...xD...I'll admit, there was alot of revive and potions there..xD

Lapras1016

Water Poképhilic PKMN Master
    Years
    I must admit, I didn't find Tate & Liza hard. I did find difficulty with Wattson, though, seeing as my only resistant-to-Electric then was Grovyle, and it didn't even have moves good against Electrics. In the end my Azumarill's Defense Curl-Rollout combo ripped him apart. XD

Another one I had problems with was Norman, the player's dad. Since Slaking is the strongest non-Legendary in terms of base stat total, even a poorly trained one, as is with most AI players in the game, can be devastating. In the end, Rollout saved me again. Defense Curl-Rollout on Azumarill is really devastating if you have a Lonely (-Def., +Atk.) Azumarill with Huge (or was it Pure?) Power.

Lady Milotic

Ocean Princess
    Years
    I absolutly HATE Tate and Liza!They've put me off Claydols for life with that bloody overweight rock of theirs(No offense to people who like Claydols).My Seviper K'O'd so easy it wasn't funny.Poor Aquos(Azumarill) fainted like a Pikachu to a Sandslash too.

...I still haven't beaten them.Not in Emerald any way.

Another annoying Gym was Norman.If I didn't have my Breloom,Daddy would've pawned me.

Wattson was,ismy worst enemy.I eventually managed to beat him with my Almighty Aquos!Brilliant Pokemon,that!

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2007
    The hardest gym leaders

Liza and tate
    they battled well and they are really harder in emerald than in ruby/sapphire

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    tate and liza are really frustating but their combos should be praised

Back