• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

most hated gym

Draconian001

Pokemon tactician
    Years
    Watson. No bloody ground pokemon up until then... turns out that my misconception that Aron was ground/steel really boned me there. He was vicious! Never had so much trouble!

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
    Clair, her first pokemon were relatively easy, but I was stupid back then (really stupid) and I only trained a Geodude I caught into Graveller, yes it was level 67 (When I faced her), but surf took me out in one hit.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I think I have something in common with a majority of posters in this thread. Whitney was unbelievably hard to beat when all you had was a Geodude and a Quilava against her Miltank who destroyed anything in its path with a Rollout attack.

Master Jecht

Hmmm..
    Years
    Whitney is plain evil! She would use attract on my Pokemon(i always had boy Pokemon) and i couldn't do anything because it immobilized me. Then she would just spam rollout and own my team. It didnt help that 3/4 of my team was weak to rock.

Crocanaw, Butterfree, pidgeotto, and growlithe.

My first playthrough in blue, misty always would beat me with her starmie spamming bubblebeam over and over.

Years
    I'll sort these by regions again:

Kanto Gyms: Groan. Misty. At least in Fire Red, she was hard to beat. I thought I had a 1-Up on her by using Pikachu, but then I had to face her endless Water Pulse attacks. I came back later, better prepared with a Gloom. The results were a lot more in my favor that time around.

~~~

Johto Gyms: It's probably no surprise that I'm going to say Whitney. In Crystal, my team consisted of Quilava (female), Poliwhirl (male) and Weepinbell (male). Their levels all exceeded Miltank's, Poliwhirl's being the highest at Level 25. I had to use all three of those Pokemon to take down Miltank.

Quilava - I used her to repeatedly Smokescreen Miltank, shredding its accuracy. Had to send her back eventually, before she was creamed by Rollout.

Weepinbell - He was Attracted straight off. From then on, at least 75% of his attacks missed because of infatuation. He then failed to land two Stun Spores before successfully inflicting paralysis on Miltank. He was able to get in one more attack, a Vine Whip, before being knocked out. The only reason he managed to last this long was because Miltank was failing to land most of its own attacks (because of Smokescreen).

Poliwhirl - He, surprisingly, wasn't Attracted. By this stage of the battle, Miltank was in sad shape statwise, so it wasn't much of a threat anymore. Poliwhirl was able to quickly get it down with a few of his Water Gun attacks.

~~~

Hoenn Gyms: I'll say Norman for this one. I hated his Slakings! I had to over-level my Pokemon for quite a while before they were able to stand in the way of one or two of Slaking's attacks and survive.

~~~

Sinnoh Gyms: I can't really remember having much trouble with any of Sinnoh's gyms.

~~~

Overall: Whitney. No explanation needed. :D

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2014
    For Kanto, if we're staying RBY, probably either Brock (I normally picked Charmander or played Yellow) or Sabrina. Sabrina...man, she was hard. x_x If we're staying FR/LG, then still Brock. Most of my pokes in FR/LG had at least Bite/Crunch, plus my team was overall better suited for her. She still packs a punch though.

For Johto, no surprise...Whitney. I believe everyone else has pretty much summed up the problems.

For Hoenn, it was actually Winona. I haven't actually played through in a few years, so I'm a little fuzzy on why, but I remember that all three playthroughs, I had issues dealing with it. I specifically remember that that's what made me turn around and get a Pikachu from the Safari Zone. I hadn't been using one, since that's probably the most overused pokemon in history, but that just pushed me over the edge. She hit hard and she hit fast.

I don't really remember having any problems with the Sinnoh gyms. I blasted right through them, actually ending up about 8 levels below the average pokemon trainers' pokemon by the time I beat the 8th gym. Now, the gym leaders...that's a different story. >_< I've nearly spent 10 hours training, and still am having toruble getting through, mainly because I'm picky about when to use full restores and revives.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2008
    There really is no hardest, if you have trained your pokemon enough and have enough money for full heals and super/hyper potions. If I had to say something, it was probably that steel gym leader byron and his resting bastidon.

Duskfall

Hard-Headed Theologian
    Years
    Misty is incredibly annoying if you don't have Bulbasaur/Ivysaur. If you picked Squirtle or Charmander, you need to level the crazy hard-to-find Pikachu or Bellsprout. Ooh, and if that isn't bad enough, her Pokemon are level 18 and 21 while yours are (once you arrive in Cerulean sp.?) level 14! Good thing I picked Baulbasaur, Hehe...

Atomic Reactor

His ghosts always beat me >:(

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Kanto Gym Leaders: Brock(R/B only), Misty(R/B only), Koga(R/B/FR/LG)
    Johto Gym Leaders: Bugsy, Whitney, Chuck, Jasmine, Clair
    Hoenn Gym Leaders: All Gym Leaders
    Sinnoh Gym Leaders: Maylene

These are based on my first play only.
    I mostly lose on Fighting-type Gym Leaders.

*I don't hate any Gym, they are just hard to beat.

Last edited:

Elekid Kid

Banned
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    i dont recall having trouble with any gym. oh WATTSON manetric just spammed QA

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Kanto - Cerulean City/Fuchsia City
    Johto - Goldenrod City/Ecruteak City/Cianwood City/Blackthorn City
    Hoenn - Rustboro City/Dewford Island/Lavaridge Town/Petalburg City/Mossdeep City
    Sinnoh - Veilstone City

Not necessarily HARD, i just didn't like those gyms.

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
    I think I said in another thread that I hated Clair, because all I had (that was good) was a graveller, and Kingdra's surf destroyed me.

Sokai

s ♥ n e
    Years
    FireRed & LeafGreen
    Uh... I'd have to say Koga?
    I don't know, LG didn't really have any difficult GYM leaders.

Gold/Silver/Crystal
    WHITNEY.
    Oh my GOD, that Miltank drove my 9 year-old self insane.

R/S/E
    The hardest to get to would have to be Juan/Wallace and Winona.
    Norman would take some soft-resetting.
    But Tate & Liza...
    OH GAWD.
    Before, my Blaziken would be the last one standing with a sliver of HP and of course, I'd run out of Hyper Potions but now I capture two Sharpedos, teach them surf and their Lunatone and Solrock can't touch me. But of course, Emerald had to go and... give them more tough Pokemon. <___<;

Back