• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Most likely Uni talk, idk sometimes food and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    What's a Scantron? O_o

A sheet for tests that you fill out, usually for multiple choice tests. Then the teacher puts an answer key into a machine, and the machine scans the tests and grades them.

Most likely Uni talk, idk sometimes food and stuff

pkmin3033

Ohhhhhh. I've done a few tests like that before. MCQs are giveaway exams, if worse comes to worst you can just guess. xD

Years
    The internet has told me that many, if not all textbooks can be found for free on the internet, but the internet is known for telling lies.

Sirfetch’d

A few years ago I was taking an Anatomy class and the textbook that was 'required" was like 700 dollars(workbook included!!). Luckily, I had a friend who had already taken the class lend me his old textbook because that was such a ridiculous price to pay for something that was only going to be used for 4 months.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    The internet has told me that many, if not all textbooks can be found for free on the internet, but the internet is known for telling lies.

Up to this date, there's only one book I needed that the internet wasn't able to provide me with for free. ONE. In 9 semesters worth of subjects. Four or five subjects per semester.

pkmin3033

They get marketed as essential products for courses, which then lets retailers push the price up because students have no real choice but to buy them...or are made to feel like they need them, anyway.

Two of my lecturers at University actually wrote books themselves and then plugged them as essential reading for the course!

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    So, yeah my seniors said that books may be very expensive so there was an alternative choice! Second hand books or used textbooks, which is cheaper and the old books are don't have to be wasted.

Well, they said the uni community had a website where the old students can sell their items like lab coats or even bicycle to new students, to reduce the expense.s

Years
    Textbooks are expensive because the publishers pack them with copyrighted photographs and such. They also come out with new editions every year or so with minor changes and the instructors don't always realize they've changed editions and order the same title every semester, but it means that you can't use old editions because page numbers and things will be different. Sometimes they also package in with the books internet-based guides or whatever that can only be used once.

If you're lucky you'll have a teacher who will specifically order used editions so that they'll be cheaper. Also, often the school library will have a copy of each textbook, but that book will be pretty popular of course.

Years
    I feel this is the way to go 100%. Like, I could've saved myself hundreds if I just went to the school library and borrowed my textbooks for the semester instead of buying them outright. ;___; I just had no idea they actually carried textbooks until I bothered to look and holy crap did I feel dumb.
    My libraries wouldn't let you borrow them. They were at the reserve desk and couldn't leave the library. Someone would just never return it otherwise.

DarkestMidnight

[color=black][b][font=Shadows Into Light]Demon Sla
    Years
    $100 textbooks?! Jeez, that's insane. I've never had to pay for textbooks, they're always supplied through my school. Of course if I were to lose one of my textbooks, I'd have to pay for them, but I'm keeping them on my desk at home so I don't lose them. I almost never use them anyways, so it doesn't matter. Then again, I'm not in college yet. Heh, can't wait to lose all traces of social life, get buried in debt and sleep a few hours a week! Heh...heh...yep... But really though, I can't wait to study something I'm ACTUALLY interested in.

pkmin3033

I didn't even step foot in my University library until my second year...and in my third I raided it. During my postgrad I practically lived in it.

Google Scholar is your best friend for academic articles, though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back