• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Motherhen Challenge!

girlslikegirls

gamer, book lover, geek-nerd extraordinar
Years
    • US
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I just got past the third badge on my Motherhen Challange on Soul Silver. I've pretty much been playing Soul Silver since I started this Challenge.
    My team currently
    Glacieric the Glalie. Lv 50
    Haelstrom the Swinub Lv. 25
    Snowblood the Sneasal Lv. 30
    Frieja the Froslass lv 31
    Snowstorm the Snover Lv 28
    Frozenia the Lapras Lv 25
    It took me forever to get Glacieric to Lv 50

Wow, you've certainly made a lot of progress! Congratulations! How are you liking the challenge so far? It certainly looks like you've got a good team going!

Years
  • UPDATE
    Spoiler:

TEAM
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

girlslikegirls

Years
    • US
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    UPDATE
    Spoiler:

TEAM
    Spoiler:

Haha, yeah, it is a bit of a grinder's challenge but it'll be worth it in the end! It sounds like the hard work is already paying off based off some of the moves. :-) Good thought on trading the eggs before they hatched!

girlslikegirls

Years
    • US
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Current Line Up
    Spoiler:

I had to go back to grind a bit and I'm still in the process of taking one of my team to level 30 before I can challenge the Gym Leader. It'll take a while, but I'm really enjoying building my team! I want to look up what would be the best choices in terms of stats and moves. I want to have each of these bbs fully trained, with their friendship level fully maxed so I still have a long way to go. :-)

girlslikegirls

Years
    • US
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Quick secondary update before I go to bed. Yes, I know, it's like 4 in the morning and I should've gone to bed about 2 hours ago. I got distracted. lol

At any rate, I went through route 22 to level up through trainer battles. Other than that, I've mostly been grinding in the grass (which incidentally, is also helping me fill up my Pokedex).

Lilo & Sernin evolved!

Lilo is currently at lvl 17, knowing moves Mist, Fury Swipes, Absorb, and Nature Power. I find Nature power to be a really interesting move and am unsure why it's listed as a Normal type rather than a grass type move. Lilo also knows Rain Dish and is evolved into Lombre.

Sernin is at lvl 20 (yay! 2/3rds of the way to level 30!) and knows Leaf Tornado, Leech Seed, Vine Whip and Wrap. Wrap is one of the best moves to use in the beginning of an encounter, but only if you plan to keep the Pokemon in the battle for more than one or two turns. Sernin has evolved into Servine and I'm quickly falling in love with ALL of Seperior's evolutions. Snive is really beginning to be my favorite Pokemon as a whole. Ugh, how do I decide? I'd like to build a team with Sernin, Bulba & Leafeon one day but that's another play through... Sernin also knows Contrary, which makes stat changes have opposite effects. Which is convent.

The others haven't changed much. Fee is still Snover and I really enjoy using him as my last-chance type of Pokemon with his Snow warning. I dislike mist, although it's useful in group battles. Powder Snow is my favorite ice attack while I enjoy using Razor Leaf as the grass attack.

Pumpia is still Pumpkaboo at level 10 and kinda useless save for one or two moves. I use confuse ray the most, but I have the feeling she'll come in handy more later on in battle.

Mane is still Chespin, at level 11 and knows bite, growl, rollout and vine whip. I enjoy learning how to use Rollout the most, with Vine Whip being my close second go-to.

Foonias is still Fungus, but Effect Spore has come in handy a lot. At level 10, Foonias knows 3 moves (absorb, growth, and astonish).

I'm not really sure why these Pokemon are able to learn ghost moves, when only one is a ghost-type Pokemon. Chespin's ability to learn bite really confused me too. They were all bred with the same Ditto so I'm not really sure whats going on? Either way, it creates interesting interactions.

I'll be playing throughout the week, but big updates likely won't happen until next week on Tuesday & Wednesday (my days off). Happy challenge guys! I wish you the best of luck! I'll still be checking in, so feel free to post questions or updates as you go through the different stages. I'm still currently on stage 2!

Current Time: 5:54

Last edited:
    Years
  • Haha, yeah, it is a bit of a grinder's challenge but it'll be worth it in the end! It sounds like the hard work is already paying off based off some of the moves. :-) Good thought on trading the eggs before they hatched!

Yeah I'm using three pokemon that I love Milotic, Ninetales and Gardevior and then using Weavile, Tyranitar and Agron because I have never used them before and even with the grinding I am loving the challenge.

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
  • Yeah I'm using three pokemon that I love Milotic, Ninetales and Gardevior and then using Weavile, Tyranitar and Agron because I have never used them before and even with the grinding I am loving the challenge.

Yeah that's the same reason I why I chose my team. I've never really used the Pokemon I chose as by the time they become available i already have my team

Years
  • Yeah that's the same reason I why I chose my team. I've never really used the Pokemon I chose as by the time they become available i already have my team
    Yeah I like how I can use mons I don't often use. Also congrats I see that you are getting really far into this challenge, I haven't even gotten to take on the first gym yet.

girlslikegirls

Years
    • US
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Yeah I'm using three pokemon that I love Milotic, Ninetales and Gardevior and then using Weavile, Tyranitar and Agron because I have never used them before and even with the grinding I am loving the challenge.

The grinding is definitely the hardest part of the challenge. It's cool to see how it changes your interactions with Pokemon you don't use. I'm glad you're enjoying the challenge!

girlslikegirls

Years
    • US
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    a quick update. :-)

My friend caught & traded me a Cottene! I named him Mink! I'll be working with him as part of my final team from here on out. I've reached level 23 with Sernin, so I'm close to being able to Challenge the gym leaders! Not having the experience share has both been a godsend and a curse. It forces me to learn how to utilize moves I don't usually use when Sernin and Lilo became disruptive and disobedient. I'm still enjoying this play through. Once I get the experience share, it's going to be a LOT less grinding. For now, though, I'm still on stage 2. I haven't had much time to play other than to trade and breed on my copy of X. XD

HyperJono

Years
  • a quick update. :-)

My friend caught & traded me a Cottene! I named him Mink! I'll be working with him as part of my final team from here on out. I've reached level 23 with Sernin, so I'm close to being able to Challenge the gym leaders! Not having the experience share has both been a godsend and a curse. It forces me to learn how to utilize moves I don't usually use when Sernin and Lilo became disruptive and disobedient. I'm still enjoying this play through. Once I get the experience share, it's going to be a LOT less grinding. For now, though, I'm still on stage 2. I haven't had much time to play other than to trade and breed on my copy of X. XD

Since you're playing on Y once you get the EXP O-Power it will be easier for you to level grind levels or will you not use the the EXP. O-Power

Years
  • So whilst I was doing some late night grinding I actually found my first ever wild shiny pokemon, which was a Tailow, since I need a flyer later on I caught her for that purpose plus it has made me teach Lucius False Swipe in case I run into anymore shinys while training. Also I have decided that I want to write my updates in a way that makes it seem like my pokemon have their own unique personalities which will be in effect from this update.

Breeder Lucy's progress
    Spoiler:

TEAM
    Spoiler:

HyperJono

Years
  • Progress Update
    I got badge 4 and I will be heading off to EcruteakCity since my challenge is on Soul Silver

My team
    Spoiler:

I've spent quite alot of time on this possibly way to much time. Not that it hasn't been fine

girlslikegirls

Years
    • US
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Since you're playing on Y once you get the EXP O-Power it will be easier for you to level grind levels or will you not use the the EXP. O-Power

I haven't decided if I want to use the Exp. O power yet, but regardless you don't get it until you've gotten the bug badge. I just got to phase 2 of the challenge (in 17 hours! YAY!) so I'll be experimenting with it in Stage 2. :-)

girlslikegirls

Years
    • US
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    So whilst I was doing some late night grinding I actually found my first ever wild shiny pokemon, which was a Tailow, since I need a flyer later on I caught her for that purpose plus it has made me teach Lucius False Swipe in case I run into anymore shinys while training. Also I have decided that I want to write my updates in a way that makes it seem like my pokemon have their own unique personalities which will be in effect from this update.

Breeder Lucy's progress
    Spoiler:

TEAM
    Spoiler:

Thank you for such a creative way to update! I really love stories, and it's really cool to see how we interact mentally with our Pokemon. ^-^ It looks like you're well on your way, though! I like how you gave the team specific roles in the family. Your move set definitely looks interesting, and is varied enough to give you a bit of an edge. This challenge definitely requires a lot of grinding but it's really worth it in the end. Not only does it help you build intimacy with your Pokemon, it also helps you know their move set that much better!

girlslikegirls

Years
    • US
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Progress Update
    I got badge 4 and I will be heading off to EcruteakCity since my challenge is on Soul Silver

My team
    Spoiler:

I've spent quite alot of time on this possibly way to much time. Not that it hasn't been fine

You might be the first to beat this challenge! Snover is really cool Pokemon, I really love the way he works with my team. We've got some similar move sets, too! What strategies do you find you're using in battle? Are there favorites you find yourself working with the most?

HyperJono

Years
  • You might be the first to beat this challenge! Snover is really cool Pokemon, I really love the way he works with my team. We've got some similar move sets, too! What strategies do you find you're using in battle? Are there favorites you find yourself working with the most?

Well when I'm battling gym leaders or my rival I start off with Snowstorm as her Snow Warning ability is great for my Pokemon who half of them has a Hail related abilities and then just switch out to the best suited or weakest pokemon depending on the levels. And I don't really have a favorite.

The way I look at them is like a family
    Glacieric is the father he protects his children from the dangers of the world
    Hailstrom is the eldest child. He has lots of power but only uses it when the family is in danger
    Snowblood she is the second eldest child. She is quite mischievous and loves a good prank but will fight to protect the family when needed.
    Frozenia is the youngest child and cant quite keep up with the rest of her siblings but can hold her own when need
    Frieja is the mother. She supports her husband no matter what but is quick to punish her children when they do wrong
    And Snowstorm is the happy go lucky child of the family. She loves to help out in anyway way she can and will step back when she knows she can't handle it alone

Back