• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Motivation

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    1. I probably have no right to talk of motivation, considering every hack I have worked on never had more than one town, as I quit before that milestone could be achieved. However, I can share the reason that I am not so motivated, and perhaps a cure, even though this so-called cure has not worked for me thus far.

Now, if anyone is like me, which is rarely the case, then perhaps they have had a similar cause for their loss of motivation which may have occurred. For me, I always quit my hacks that never even reach the forums because I get disappointed in myself. For example, I run into a major scripting problem that I can find no feasible way to fix, yet that script is vital to my hack. In that situation, sometimes I quit. Other times, I look back at my story, and I just think "This sucks" and throw the hack away.

So, what I think ruins me is my perfectionist attitude. I can not afford for an imperfection in my hack, no matter how small, in my head. So if and when I find so many imperfections, I decide that my hack is no good and abandon it. But what I, and possibly others, must figure out is that you can't dwell too much on what is wrong, even though I still find it important to be able to find flaw and room for improvement within one's own work. One must look at the project as a whole, then decide whether or not this one thing they do not like is actually a big deal or not. One must determine if this flaw they see is truly error, or just their own heads telling them that they are not good enough. One must remember that the best hack that is never finished, was never really good at all. Most of all, one must be able to persevere and continue to move forward in their hack, to make sure that no bump in the road slows them, or worse yet, shuts them down. Unfortunately, for me at least, that is far easier said (or written, rather) than done.

Putin

Anspruchsvolle Narr
    Years
  • I run into a major scripting problem that I can find no feasible way to fix, yet that script is vital to my hack.
    It sounds to me like you just need someone to help you.... I think it's silly for one person to expect to be good at every facet of something. I've seen many romhacks that are much better, in my opinion than the official Gamefreak games, most of which, while GF also has to build the engine, are based on the engine of a past game- Emerald and FireRed may be considered "official" Ruby hacks, or Platinum, HeartGold and Black all "official" Pearl hacks, as they are essentially based on those games. Gamefreak, meanwhile, has a large group of people working on these games and taking at least a year or two to turn one out, often more.

With us, we are working solo or with a small team and doing all the same things. I think that if you hit what seems an impassible wall and cannot figure it out on your own, all you need is someone that knows more about the issue to solve it.

Years
  • What motivates me?
    Well I just sorta like mapping areas right now not that they're amazing and there is obvious room for improvement but it's not like i can't go back and change it later. I'm getting at least one map per day done now but I'm not fussed on doing much else, When I finish what my world looks like I'll start writing a story and putting the story into effect later on.

What can we do for others?
    There are plenty of things for us tto do for everyone else, but what about things they can do themselves?
    If you're not fussed with getting it done by a specific time then take your time, set small realistic goals and then focus on one and just have fun with it.
    If it's not fun take a break.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
    Years
  • a) What keeps YOU motivated to hack?

The fact that people will play them, that I'm creating my own game. I started AR a few years ago and even though I failed completely, I still had the want. Another thing, is my support I get from three special ROM hackers, without them I would have gotten bored. They all teach me and encourage me through my hacks.

b) What do you think we, as a community, can do to motivate others to continue on their projects?

Give them space, don't lower their spirits, posting positive reviews. Criticize them even if you like it. You must make them work.

aperso

Please feel free to VM random fruit types.
    Years
  • what keep me motivated friends,

What do you think we, as a community, can do to motivate others to continue on their projects?well encoruging them, good comments as well as where they can improve,

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
    Years

I am actually really bad for being motivated in a hack. But regardless, I think what keeps me motivated is the thought of providing the community with a hack featuring some originality and that is overall fun.

b) What do you think we, as a community, can do to motivate others to continue on their projects?

I love the idea of a newsletter (magazine (I actually prefer the magazine idea)). About a year ago when I was still a lurker, I started hacking and eventually gave up due to lack of motivation, I took a break and returned earlier this year. When I returned, so much had happened I was not sure If I could even catch up ... I still havn't fully caught back up. Personally I would love the idea of doing a hacking monthly magazine for the community, to help keep people up to date and to give the community something to relax and read.

I also think we need more events. More 'Insert name' of the week. We need to reassure people that there is more than just hack of the year to be proud of. If someone is really bad at hacking but awesome at mapping, they should be praised for their talent. More social aspects such as more tournaments (where members can earn specific achievements or badges (or whatever they are called ... I forgot).

I think I am going to stop talking now because this is a huge post and I imagine you are all bored reading. If anyone wants to chase me up about the hacking newsletter / magazine idea (unlikely but still) just PM me.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 11, 2012
    I keep my hack going for the fun of it, and if ur like me, I think imagination is one of the greatest things in the world. Its really cool to see all of your hard work pay off too.

I guess we can keep everyone else motivated by telling them that their idea is original and encourage them to keep working on their OWN Pokemon game (which can be a encouragement in its own way). Liquid Twilight had a good idea, but we can make like a featured hack of the day or something for the homepage.

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Well, I don't wanna quit. Currently I have two hacks, and I am going to finish both of them.

Give them support, don't crush their motivation/confidence as hackers.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2019
    a) What keeps YOU motivated to hack?

a. Possibilities are what keep me motivated. I love game design -- environment design especially -- and seeing possibilities in regards to that... That motivates me. When you create even a single well-crafted map, you implicitly create the entire world in which it exists.

b. Provide helpful resources when asked, and provide ideas when needed. People discontinue a creative activity when they get stuck, frustrated, when it stops seeming like it's worth it, or when they find a creative activity with more potential. The former two can easily be prevented by being helpful. The latter two are harder to avert.

Shinypoliwrath

RMXP Noob
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2013
    A. What keeps me motivated is imagining myself playing through the finished product, after wanting to hack a ROM for four or five years now.

B. To welcome new hackers, there are already loads of tools to use, but not as many tutorials on how to use them. I've read a few tutorials when I first started and they confused me to the point that I nearly gave up, some of them are quite complex and complicated.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    A). The image in my mind of the completed hack. Also, learning how to do something that I couldn't do before. I like learning how to do new things for my hack :)

B). Good resources for new hackers, as well as taking the time to answer questions asked by newcomers/pointing them in the right direction. Basically, help keep frustration from setting in.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • I personally think I'd be alot more motivated to hack if people were more willing to help me out with things I don't know about. I think I speak for quite a few hackers when I say that.

Nothings worse than progress on a hack halting because you don't know what to do, or how to do it.

So I think it would be a good idea like OP said to have a one-to-one tutorial thread/system to help newbie hackers hack. Not saying we should be told everything and have everything done for us, but I think it could be the cause of , many good looking hacks dying.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    I'm motivated by the work of other people. The eagerness to create a hack never goes away, but boredom or other activities block that. So, watching others hack helps me overcome this obstacle by believing in them-and in extension to me.

To which point comes others' motivation. I think proving to others our love for hacks will help them motivate themselves.

Special thanks for my motivation go to: Spherical Ice

barkalar

My motivation, I like pokemon hacking so when I get bored and have time I work on a hack.

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
    Years
    • Seen today
    a) What keeps YOU motivated to hack?

The sense of achievement, and enjoyment of it! I loved the Pokemon games and still do, I just like to be creative with my own :)

Give them support obviously, give constructive critism and show ways to solve what you think is wrong or needs changing within the hack :)

Back