• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Move deleter

Bludycomicsinc

If you can read this.....
    Years
    Okay so i went to the move deleters in pokemon emerald And I wanted to migrate my marshtomp to my pokemon pearl game.So I had to delete surf in order to make it able to migrate.So when I talked to the guy I chose surf on my marshtomp for the move to delete.
    But when i tried deleting it the move deleter said "It looks like your pokemon is not willingly to forget this move."So Can I somehow still be able to forget this move?Or is he stuck with this move forever?

Years
    Very strange. I must've been to the move deleter hundreds of times to delete mainly unwanted HMs and every time it's been fine. I wouldn't know what to suggest, sorry.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    For some reason, in Emerald you are forced to keep at least a Surf slave with you. So teach that move to some other pokémon in your party, and you should be allowed to delete it from your Marshtomp.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    Okay so i went to the move deleters in pokemon emerald And I wanted to migrate my marshtomp to my pokemon pearl game.So I had to delete surf in order to make it able to migrate.So when I talked to the guy I chose surf on my marshtomp for the move to delete.
    But when i tried deleting it the move deleter said "It looks like your pokemon is not willingly to forget this move."So Can I somehow still be able to forget this move?Or is he stuck with this move forever?
    You can't forget it because you need another pokemon
    in your party to know Surf.

Years
    Am I the only person that thinks Surf is a good move? xD

When I think of "HM slave", I usually think of the really bad moves; I.E. Flash, Cut, Rock Smash, etc. I always use Surf, since it is a pretty powerful move in my opinion, and it cuts down on the inconvenience of having to take your HM slave out every time you have to go over water.

Heh, but yeah, you have to keep at least one Pokemon in your party to know Surf. I believe that's the only HM that's required to do so.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    It must be your only surfing pokemon and the game wont let you do it for your own safety.

Clevink

Don't mess with Espeon...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    I don't associate surf with being an "HM Slave" move, either. It's very strong. 90 base attack power for an HM is awesome in my opinion. I always use it.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 23, 2022
    Surf, in my humble opinion, is too good to be counted among the HM slave moves, in fact, I think it's one of the best water moves out there...

But really, you can't unteach surf in emerald unless someone else knows it, that's kind of silly...

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    Yeah, just get like a Goldeen or some other water type, (or a Zigzagoon) & teach that surf, then you will be able to remove surf from Marshtomp

MrsMime

Humanshape Pokemon
    Years
    Am I the only person that thinks Surf is a good move? xD

When I think of "HM slave", I usually think of the really bad moves; I.E. Flash, Cut, Rock Smash, etc. I always use Surf, since it is a pretty powerful move in my opinion, and it cuts down on the inconvenience of having to take your HM slave out every time you have to go over water.

Heh, but yeah, you have to keep at least one Pokemon in your party to know Surf. I believe that's the only HM that's required to do so.
    I completely agree!

I've never regarded surf (or waterfall, for that matter) as an HM because it's such a powerful attack. I wouldn't have been able to sweep through Bertha and Flint in the D/P E4 without it! XD I've never considered fly to be one either, for the same reason; it's a really great attack, one a bird pokemon should never be without.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I completely agree!

I've never regarded surf (or waterfall, for that matter) as an HM because it's such a powerful attack. I wouldn't have been able to sweep through Bertha and Flint in the D/P E4 without it! XD I've never considered fly to be one either, for the same reason; it's a really great attack, one a bird pokemon should never be without.
    Couldn't disagree more about Fly. It is one of the most worthless moves a Flying-type Pokemon can have. Aerial Ace and especially Drill Peck are vastly superior as you can attack twice in two turns where Fly only attacks once. Plus, since Fly doesn't attack the first turn, your opponent can easily switch to a Pokemon the resists it (i.e. Swampert) and force you to switch out or eat an Ice/Rock attack.

I do agree that Surf is the only worthwhile HM to ever have on your team. There is no reason to ever use Waterfall over Surf (80 AP vs. 95 AP) unless the Pokemon can only learn the former and not the latter.

Back