• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Moveset for starters pokemon

asuraflameheart

Fire Breather
Years
  • Hi everyone, i would like to know your favorite moveset for each starter pokemon that you always use, up until you challenge the elite four.

Years
  • My main movesets for the Kanto starters in gen I tend to be like this usually:

Venusaur
    Body Slam
    Razor Leaf
    Mega Dragin
    Leech Seed

Charizard
    Flamethrower
    Fly
    Slash
    Earthquake

Blastoise
    Surf
    Earthquake
    Ice Beam
    Body Slam

Venusaur gets so little good moves/TMs, it's sad. :(

asuraflameheart

Fire Breather
    Years
  • My main movesets for the Kanto starters in gen I tend to be like this usually:

Venusaur
    Body Slam
    Razor Leaf
    Mega Dragin
    Leech Seed

Charizard
    Flamethrower
    Fly
    Slash
    Earthquake

Blastoise
    Surf
    Earthquake
    Ice Beam
    Body Slam

Venusaur gets so little good moves/TMs, it's sad. :(

That's true, venusaur start from gen 4 receiving more moves. Idk, in my opinion grass starter seems to be given less attention in gen 1 to 3. Nevertheless, thank you so much for your moveset list Janna 😆 noted

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    Venusaur:

Razor Leaf
    Growth
    Sleep Powder
    Leech Seed

Strategy is really simple. Put the enmy to sleep with SP, use growth a couple of times (sleep lasts anextra turn in gen 1 and maybe leech seed if RL isnt effective, then use RL and hope for a crit

asuraflameheart

Fire Breather
    Years
  • Venusaur:

Razor Leaf
    Growth
    Sleep Powder
    Leech Seed

Strategy is really simple. Put the enmy to sleep with SP, use growth a couple of times (sleep lasts anextra turn in gen 1 and maybe leech seed if RL isnt effective, then use RL and hope for a crit

Niceeeee 😆 hoping for crit is the best part yami, thanks a lot, noted

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
  • Niceeeee 😆 hoping for crit is the best part yami, thanks a lot, noted

Thankfully, it's Gen1 + Razor Leaf tends to crit most of the time, no need to hope! 😂

For me, it's Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, Razor Leaf + Solarbeam. I notice yall don't go for Solarbeam. Yea, I know it's 2 turns, but it's a heavy hitting skill.

Edit: Charizard: Fly, Flamethrower, Slash + Rage for the small fry. Blastoise: Surf, Bite, Skull Bash + Ice Beam.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    The move sets will vary slightly depending on if you are using these in game vs other people vs stadium.

For example, in game movesets will be odd if you take advantage of the Badge Boost Glitch. On Blastoise, WITHDRAW is a move you really should keep as using it will boost all of your stats for the elite 4. Just spam Withdraw on Pidgeot and you are then super faster, tough, and strong.

In game sets:

Blastoise:
    -Surf
    -Blizzard (90% accuracy)
    -Earthquake (or Dig since same power)
    -Withdraw

Charizard:
    -Fire Blast
    -Swords Dance
    -Earthquake (or Dig)
    -Body Slam / Slash

Venusaur:
    -Sleep Powder
    -Swords Dance (before you get the TM keep Growth)
    -Razor Leaf
    -Body Slam

These are also roughly the competitive sets outside of Blastoise. One thing to note is that the later two require the TM for Swords Dance, if you want another Pokemon with that move, you will need to use other moves. Fire Spin is an option for Charizard. You can pivot Venusaur for a Growth Sweeper with Mega Drain, but I wouldn't recommend it, probably easier to just slap a Hyper Beam on, you can never go wrong with Hyper Beam.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I didn't actually know about the Badge Boost Glitch until I started watching some challenge videos. Otherwise I would've made heavy use of it. As such the starter sets were not quite as good as they could be.

Blastoise:
    - Bubblebeam
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Bite (yes)

Venusaur:
    - Megadrain/Raizor Leaf
    - Sleep Powder
    - Toxic
    - Leech Seed

Charizard:
    - Slash
    - Flamethrower
    - Fire Spin
    - Fire Blast

Charizard is probably not accurate. I only rarely use it.

Years
  • Most of the sets I have used on Venusaur have already been submitted by other users. I thought it could still be helpful though to mention that growth only raises the special stat in gens 1-4, not the pokemon's physical attack. It's more like calm mind. So Sword's Dance is the best bet for anyone seeking to increase the power of moves like body slam or hyper beam.

Something else that might be worthy to add to the conversation is that critical hits do not stack with stat boosts in gen 1, so growth won't do additional damage for sets with razor leaf as the only special-based attacking move. I personally would only use growth if I was running mega drain to take full advantage of the special boost. Since mega drain is low base power I generally preferred razor leaf as Venusaur's stab because of the pretty much gauranteed critical hit with the ratio based around your speed. Still with growth you can gradually build up the mega drain's damage output (and your special defense due to special being a single stat) and get your health back. It's especially nice on stally set with things like leech seed and toxic.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    Most of the sets I have used on Venusaur have already been submitted by other users. I thought it could still be helpful though to mention that growth only raises the special stat in gens 1-4, not the pokemon's physical attack. It's more like calm mind. So Sword's Dance is the best bet for anyone seeking to increase the power of moves like body slam or hyper beam.

Something else that might be worthy to add to the conversation is that critical hits do not stack with stat boosts in gen 1, so growth won't do additional damage for sets with razor leaf as the only special-based attacking move. I personally would only use growth if I was running mega drain to take full advantage of the special boost. Since mega drain is low base power I generally preferred razor leaf as Venusaur's stab because of the pretty much gauranteed critical hit with the ratio based around your speed. Still with growth you can gradually build up the mega drain's damage output (and your special defense due to special being a single stat) and get your health back. It's especially nice on stally set with things like leech seed and toxic.

Even if you don't have a move that can utilize the power of Growth on Venusaur and Swords Dance on Charizard, its still worthwhile to have it to take advantage of the glitch that boosts all of the stats.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2021
    Venusaur with Razor Leaf, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, and Body Slam.

Charizard with Slash, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, and Dig.

Blastoise with Surf, Blizzard, Body Slam, and who cares I never chose Blastoise anyway. :P

Back