• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Movies in other languages

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Leon the Professional, City of God, Amelie; some of the best movies I've ever seen have been in a different language with English subtitles. As good as those movies are, I think I would have enjoyed them even more if they were in English. Can you sit through a 2 hour movie with subtitles; what are some of the ones you've seen?

If it wasn't for anime, I don't think that I would have the patience to see these (idk though). Also, some things that they say in anime or foreign movies are funny to them, but just not to us. I think it's just the language barrier or the culture. For example, I can't tell if Killer Bee's rapping is meant to be funny in Japan or awkward like they were to me the first time I heard it.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    yeah, some of my favorite movies of all time are in foreign languages, and it doesn't bother me one bit -- Chungking Express, Whisper of the Heart (and every Ghibli + Akira + Grave of the Fireflies + Evangelion + like all of anime), The Mirror (+ all of Tarkovsky), Hausu, Breathless..... etc. the list goes on. foreign cinema is really cool.

Years
    I never really watch foreign movies, likely because I'm not good at reading non-English languages. I'd need subtitles to even be able to find the film watchable.

Years
    I definitely need subtitles for watching non-English films but in that case I would watch any foreign film. Finding good ones is the hard part for me.

French and japanese(animation) films are my favourite just because majority I've seen are those two languages..

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 13, 2024
    I'm a little weird in that I always turn on subtitles for any movie that has it regardless of language, so I have no problem with foreign films since I'm used to reading along as I watch films anyway. One of my favorites is Let the Right One In.

Still, I prefer to watch movies in a language I understand fluently, simply because I know many things don't translate very well - like the other day I watched Kung Fu Hustle on Netflix and the English subtitles were so off in some places it was funny. It's not that the translators are bad, but some jokes, phrases, etc. just can't really be translated so I can't help but feel like I'm also missing out on those things when I watch a movie in a language that's foreign to me.

Back