• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Scripting Question] Multiple encounters depending on version?

Years
    Isn't it a neat feature if you have Pokémon Heart Gold, you encounter Caterpies, and in Soul Silver you encounter Weedle? Or in X you can find Houndours, in Y, Elecktrikes? Is there an easy way to do this in essentials without having to make 2 separate maps?

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    I would imagine that since you'd have to have two separate games for two separate versions, you'd just change the encounter data for the maps you want to have different pokemon.

Years
    I mean, it would be a lot easier and a lot less time consuming to just make it in one game. At the start of the game, I made a switch saying that you have either one version or the other. I know if I make 2 separate games I could do it there, but I just want to know if I can completely change the encounters with just 1 switch WITHOUT having to make more than 1 map for the same location.

Years
    Just wondering but why even bother with that? Since you are making it all 1 game why not just make the game have all the encounters and scrap all the versions. Doing it for the sake of official Pokemon games doing it seems dumb, since official Pokemon games do it for marketing (you can't complete the Pokedex or get some Pokemon you might want without buying the other version or finding somebody with the other version), and it's not really as much of a "neat" feature as it is frustrating.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    If anything, I'd personally be frustrated at version differences in a fangame unless there would be a way to trade between the two, because then there'd be no completing the PokeDex. I suppose using the two game version you could alter the PokeDex to only have the version specific ones.

Back