• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My First Layout

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    Someone pointed me here with the words "I've died a little inside now."

I agree.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Aoriaku said:
    Not to sound mean but.
    That is really horrid looking. ._.;
    Agrees. There's nothing that can even be edited to fix it.

[scurries away :<]

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    I'm sorry, but...holy crap that's horrible oO

The colors are awful. Times New Roman is...just no. Nothing's in line. The whole thing is terrible. Actually, it's probably one of the worst layouts I've ever seen, if not the worst. =/

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Morkula said:

The colors are awful. Times New Roman is...just no. Nothing's in line. The whole thing is terrible. Actually, it's probably one of the worst layouts I've ever seen, if not the worst. =/
    I think he knew that now >O

You're just rubbing salt in a wound ;-;

usami

biohazard
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Iowa
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    Morkula said:

If only I had a screenshot of your green layout. :P

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    It wasn't that bad. At least it didn't make your eyes bleed, then burn out of their sockets. ><

Mari-Ashley

http://www.ashketchum.nl
    Years
    I'm not a fan of calling things ugly or horribly, since that definitely won't help nobody. So I'll try to give some advice....
    The best I can think of is, try more. It's not that this layout 'sucks', it's merely a 'typical beginner's layout'. I've created layouts like that aswell. And asking around what people thought of it helped me improve. Big time. So it's only good you're asking for feedback aswell.

Despite that this layout isn't good, the only positive aspect is that things are pretty easy to see. I mean the navigation, the text.
    The colours overall don't match. So I suggest you try out using one colour and several tones of it. (Example: black, grey, white, light grey, dark grey, etc.) It'll start out matching, and later on you'll learn what different colours match together.

Your text: I personally don't care whether you write in Tahoma or Comic Sans, as long as I can read it. Most common fonts are Verdana, Arial, Tahoma.
    Also try and make sure the text fits into the borders, and doesn't hit the top of it.

Your banner: It's really of poor quality. The drawing is nice. As a sketch. But not the coloured one... If you can't colour and shade well, just use the sketch. Your first creation doesn't need to be your best creation. It could take a couple of try-outs untill you're satisfied with the way your banner turns on. Do be patient. Spend time on it and don't hesistate to ask for help, suggestions and other feedback.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    Okay, let me guess, you made that in Paint?

Paint is NOT a good paint program, and I'm afraid you're dead if you want to make an image-based layout in it. If you don't have a better paint program, you can make a neat, fast-loading layout just using solid CSS colors. There is nothing wrong with that until you either invest in something better or get a better free program - I'm told that The GIMP is good, and it's free, if you want to try it out. You'll probably not be able to make anything very good in it right from the start, though, so I really suggest that you use solid colors at the start.

Now, for the color choice, it's not a good idea to use any of the "default Paint colors", as in the ones that appear at the bottom of the screen in Paint. You should use colors that are easy on the eyes - generally you'll be better off with either a light color scheme with dark text or a dark color scheme with light text than any bright colors like that kind of red and blue - and generally you should only use colors that look good together. That means no combining red and blue. Pick one color, like green or blue or whatever, and then use different variations of that color, some dark ones, some light ones, some brighter ones and some duller ones... Sure, sometimes it can work to use, say, blue, and then include some green somewhere, but then you should usually be using black or white to make the blue and green more separated. (Remember that black and white go with almost anything.)

As for your banner - it's puzzled me for a long time why newbie webmasters always place pictures on a non-white background but aren't bothered by all those horrible white dots splattered around the whole outline and use it anyway. I know that using the blend mode Multiply on a layer with your sketch would entirely remove those if you were to upgrade to a better paint program. Then you could also color in the picture with the brush tool on a layer below, and it would not disturb the sketch.

Overall, I don't think you should use that layout. It will turn many people off your site.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    I sorta like the colors but lots of things aren't in line.

Overall, I agree with everyone in this thread.

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
    Colours, yes. Lack of graphical dynamism and incorrect font choices due to lack of a good graphics programme, no.

Hyster-ia

Hyster-ia
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2006
    Is that made with Paint?

Because this is not going to work as a lay-out.. Unforunatly.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    It's not that bad for a beginning layout. ^^

:3 the red and blue is a bit too strong of a contrast.

See, what you have there, including all the fonts, is a Conflicting Layout. There are three main types of layouts on today's web

1. Contrast
    2. Conflict
    3. Concord

Contrast is what any Web or Graphic Designer aims for. :3 It's a pleasent blend of colors and fonts that makes a layout nice to look at.

Conflict is a no no. Conflict is an unnatural blend of colors and or fonts that just makes the site unappealing.

Concord is using the same color scheme and fonts throughout the whole layout without really changing anything. :3 That's fine too, I prefer doing Concord because it's easier not to screw up.

^^ so it's a good try but we need to fix some things.

:3 Try using a Comic Sans-ish font, without hooks on the text itself. That'll make it a little better.

If you can, try fiddling with the transparency of the blue. It's just too bright against hte already bright red and your graphic itself needs a little bit of fine tunning.

It /is/ however, a good try. I've seen much much worse. ^^

Ethreale

Head of the Syndicate
    Years
    Ok thank you for all the criticism and advice. I will take this into note and hopefully create a better layout(for some reason I can't get it to appear on my site anyways). Anyone else feel free to comment on it, I don't care but I'd appreciate more advice. I know that it looks bad, probably mostly because I only put flat colors in there and that it didn't really take that long. I use Paint, Paint.net, and GIMP. Maybe I can work a miracle outta that.

EDIT: BTW, I didn't use Times New Roman

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    The GIMP as Dragonfree suggested is not good for beginners. It actually ends up being way to complicated.

https://photofiltre.com is an awesome free graphics program. I've used it for about four years now, and besides missing some features, it's a great image editor/creator =D

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    The layout itself isn't bad ^_^ Just the fonts and colours. The design would work.

GIMP is decent for beginners, PhotoFiltre is nice but lacks basic edit features IMO, I use it mostly for filters and stuff.

dark heart

i like making 3d games danmit!
    Years
    put in scenic background images mate, got to scapemaker.com from that u can make ur own landscapes, it's easy and free when ur done press c to take screenshot.

Back