• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My girlfriend FINALLY started playing Pokémon!!!

Years
    We've been together 8 whole years, all of which I've been consistently playing each new Pokémon game. I've tried getting her to play a gazillion times, but she can never get past the beginning. She's not familiar with RPGs and didn't like the random battles.

Well, we're going to the NY Comic Con/Anime Fest this year and she's cosplaying as Dawn, so she figures she should play the games. So tonight she picked up a copy of Platinum!!!

She's liking it so far, and I have a feeling she'll like it a lot more once the game opens up and she has more to do. She's a HUGE animal crossing fan and loved trying to get EVERY item in the game, so I think she'll have fun trying to catch 'em all and decorating her secret base.

She says if she likes it, she'll get Silver or Gold next. I'm the happiest dude alive right now!!!

Anybody else try getting their significant others to get into Pokémon? Did it work?

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    Actually i got into pokemon gaming from my significant other

She said it was like chess, she tricked me!

Pokemon is way better than chess :P

Silver.Nova

Golden Smile and Silver Tears
    Years
    My gf and I have always been fans from the begining so I didn't need to get her into it.

It's really fun! I wish you both happiness. <3

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
    I dragged all of my classmates to play pokemon by lettng borrow my DS for a while and most of them got a DS and a copy of Platinum or HG/SS and some play Generation 3 on emulator

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2010
    You may be happy now, but once she get's very attached to it, you may have some competition. XD

Anyway, i'm guessing she chose Piplup since she was Dawn at that convention and she's probably get all of her Pokemon too, like Buneary and Pachirisu.

You should of got her to get a Johto remake though. It's way better.

Years
    You should of got her to get a Johto remake though. It's way better.

Yeah, I was telling her how each has its pros and cons, but there's more to do in hg/ss. She's mainly just playing Platinum because Dawn's in it and that's who she wants to dress up as. Hopefully she likes it enough to get HG or SS after she beats Platinum.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
    I bought soul silver and the next day i suggested to my gf to get hg. She actually loves all the pokemon games (keep in mind we're both 18 years old). We even battle in school wifi during class xD (well we used to before we graduated), same thing with my friends in class, i thought i was the only one with a pokewalker and the new game but i saw some of the class of '10 (high school seniors) have it. And to be honest, i can't beat my gf, not cause 'i don't want to'. She has better luck on battles -.- She carries Houndoom, Steelix, Arcanine, Typhlosion, Gengar, and Alakazam (All level 100s).

I got all the pokemons in National Pokedex and some in lv 100. But my ground team (not for ground type, just the team i carry for all my battles, sometimes i switch some pokes out) are Gardevoir, Glaceon/Umbreon (i switch them ecasionally), Tyranitar, Ferraligatr, Gengar, and Slowbro. I've won many battles, but I can't beat her :( honestly i try and try never have won 1 battle. But I know more about Pokemon, like abilities and weakness and more in depth and even she tells me I know waaay too much. But her team is just incredible. I'll beat her on my next match though hehehe.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2012
    When my girlfriend and I started dating I had quit Pokemon for a while. But just recently my cousin let me borrow his Platinum and I'm playing it a lot and shes noticing that. Ima try to get her into it when Black and white come out :p

Le Creep!

~don't act blonde.
    Years
    Well, I haven't had this ''girlfriend, boyfriend'' experience yet, but my friends had gotten me into Pokémon since I was 7. I have been happy ever since.

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    My fiance didn't really play pokemon all that much before he met me. He only played diamond. Then when he met me he has started playing as much as I do. Almost everyday. I have been playing pokemon for 10 years so I pretty hardcore into it. He loves it now:)

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
    My ex used to play my Platinum game, he used to want to know what the big deal with Pokémon was. Before that point he hadn't even played Red or Blue.

Years
    Seeing as how these responses and whatnot are kind of reflecting ~all~ games, I'm just gonna go ahead and move this to GPG ~

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    Only one 'significant other' was into the games, and that was many years ago back when I was in pre-middle school. My 'boyfriend' at the time was playing Pokemon Silver, and I decided that I was going to try it. That's how I got into Gold, and then I got hooked.

Other than that, I never really had a significant other get into the Pokemon games. Sometimes they would sit and watch me play it, or maybe watch one of the movies with me, but I can't think of anyone I have dated who has actually sat down and played a Pokemon game for over 3 minutes.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    My boyfriend and I were both long-established Pokemon fans before we met. It was awesome to finally have someone to share the purchase of a pair of games with again (I got Heart Gold and he got Soul Silver). We're gonna do the same with Black and White, too :3

chickenofunity

Confused Chicken
    Years
    My friends got me into pokemon in primary, and I used to play the pokemon card games with a friend in year 7. It has'nt happened since, but when another friend came over recently and saw my pokemon cards, he was pretty impressed. :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Since getting someone (back) into Pokemon isn't just relevant to the games, I'll move this to Pokemon General. As for the topic, I was dating someone about two years ago who I got back into Pokemon. I have their Diamond, though. They ended up losing their DS Lite, so just let me keep that copy.

Back