• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My personal thoughts: The older the season, the better & it's all going downhill

Are older or newer seasons generally better & is the anime getting better or worse?

• The older seasons are generally better

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • The newer seasons are generally better

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • The anime is getting worse and worse

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • The anime is getting better and better

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    See, she didn't do much in Johto, is the thing. There was the Whirl Islands and... well, that's about the only interesting thing that happened with Misty.

In regards to her mothering nature- that wasn't my point. Misty befriending/caring for a wild Pokemon in need is one thing (it makes for an entertaining episode), the writers using that as her main character trait is another.

Because THAT'S WHAT THEY DID. Of course it's the writers' fault, they used Togepi as a crutch to limp Misty along for about a hundred episodes. Before Johto, Misty was much more prone to getting into fights with Ash and having episodes centered around her. Constantly carrying a baby Pokemon and worrying about its safety limited what she could do.

Anywho, I said my piece, I don't think we should get too sidetracked here.

I don't know, not too long ago i watched Johto and Misty seemed pretty vivid there. She still had that passionate love for water types, romantic side falling for cure pokemon or couples(like when she trued to pair up Genaro and Ariene from Whirl Islands), had that adventure spirit trying out new things(like failed attempt at cooking in "Sick Daze", spinarak beauty treatment when they met Aya again etc), had sarcasm, temper etc. Only real change was that she wasn't violent as much like she used to be in early days, and im fine with that because it was sign of character development beginning to mature and becoming better friend with Ash(which is why they argued less, but they still had fights,like for Totodile for example and Misty never stopped teasing him). Even outside of Misty focused episodes, you will see her playing of great with several various characters adding to dynamic in Johto.

I also noticed she battled more often than she did in Kanto using Poliwag line, Staryu and Corsola in several battles whether it was when battling other trainers or Team Rocket. She entered various competitions (like Seaking catching contest or Alto Mare race)displaying her skills as water trainer,. She also had great dynamic with several characters like fire trainer Egan , Sakura with connection of both having older sisters becoming good friends and rivals in a way,Andreas from Seaking tournament etc.

Problem wasn't in character really or Togepi, but in not receiving enough focus to properly shine. That's why in some Johto episodes you can barely see her interact aside from few lines, its because she was in background not playing any role nor having chance to properly show her qualities. This happens to every character if he is in some episodes sidelined too much(Brock and even Ash had same problem there with writing for Johto being poor due to writers inexperience back than not dividing focus adequately). In hosos and AG appearances she was very intriguing finding right balance between tomboyish and girly side.

Last edited:
    Years
    The truth is that I've left the Anime altogether. I felt like it hit it's peak at the advanced generation season, in Hoenn. After that, Diamond and Pearl got boring (only the gym battles were worth watching) and Black and White... was not appealing at all. After the Hoenn series, the Anime grew worse progressively.

Yes, yes, yes. I do agree the anime got worse around when Hoenn ended. I stopped watching the anime altogether. I wish they'd just drop Ash and make a Pokemon Adventures anime with Red.

Danny Leo

The Best There Is!
    Years
    I stopped watching the anime when it got to Unova. Getting rid of Brock was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    After the Hoenn series, the Anime grew worse progressively.

Agreed.

I stopped watching the anime when it got to Unova. Getting rid of Brock was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Same here.

I wish they'd just drop Ash and make a Pokemon Adventures anime with Red.

Same here. And for all of you who doesn't like that idea, there's always the possibility of having two animes, as long as both generate enough profit and there's enough staff to produce both. And for all of you who like the idea of a Pokémon anime based on the Pokémon Special manga (aka Pokémon Adventures), look at my signature. ;)

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    Yes, yes, yes. I do agree the anime got worse around when Hoenn ended. I stopped watching the anime altogether. I wish they'd just drop Ash and make a Pokemon Adventures anime with Red.

There's a problem with Red though: people love to say he's unbeatable. If the writers dared to have Red lose at all, people would freak. People already hate when Ash loses a battle, imagine the hate that would come if Red were to lose even once.

Brock has been replaced once before, and was seemingly replaced for Hoenn. Tracey took Brock's place for the Orange Islands. In Hoenn, Brock made a surprise return after he, Ash and Misty all went their serparate ways.

Personally, I like Brock more than Cilan, but Cilan is not bad, just different. Cilan is filling the same role as Brock did, being the gym leader than travels with Ash. (Iris possibly takes Misty's role as well, but I don't think Iris has been specifically said to be a gym leader in the anime.)

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
    I prefer Dent over Brock. He's a lot funnier than Brock. I love Dent's "It's _____ time!" more than Brock's "HOT GIRLS HOT GIRLS". I am even happy that they replaced him. He was fine in the first show, but in Advanced and Diamond & Pearl he hit the bottom. Max pulling his ear and Croagunk stabbing him was just annoying. I mean, what's their problem? I can understand Misty, but what's Max's problem?

I haven't completed neither Advanced nor Diamond & Pearl, so I can't be 100% sure about it, but I think that the show got better and better. Especially Diamond & Pearl and Best Wishes. Best Wishes tops the first show any time. And Team Rocket is cool again. Sadly, the only times they were cool before were the cooperation episodes. And of course in the movies.

The only thing I dislike is the fact that they put Iris instead of White in the show. Iris is a good character and I like her, but I'd rather have White in the show. Thankfully, they added Bel.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Here is my opinions:

Seasons 1-2: The best seasons because Misty is amazing and the plot's a lot more tolerable.
    Seasons 3-5: Meh. They were alright. Not that great but they were alright it started going downhill a bit here.
    Seasons 6-8: When Max came the show got worse. It went downhill even more.
    Season 9: Battle Frontier was alright. It wasn't great, but it was alright.
    Seasons 10-13: Terrible time for Pokemon. The seasons were crappy, stupid and horribly childish Pokemon was the worst around this time.
    Seasons 14-15 (current): Actually, I find B/W amazing and Pokemon went uphill when Cilan joined the crew.

Those are my thoughts please don't rant and flame me for this...

Pecilia

Best Witch
    Years
    I don't really care about the eye surgery, no what I'm really wondering is how he can start in Pallet town at age ten and the narrator explains that he's age 10 in the Unova region. Like, what the heck? No one can beat 4 leagues and the orange islands while being chased by a bunch of goons. Brock id better than Cilan, Tracey is better than Cilan as well, I'm not hating on him though he's alright. Now let's get to the annoying female companions. Misty, she's annoying from the first episode Ash meets her. May was better than Misty by far attitude wise. Dawn is kinda crossing the wrong side of the line and Iris? Oh come on! She's about as bad as Misty. I liked the older ones better, with the squirtle squad and the comedy. I will however say this. In Unova, when the heck did team Rocket get more BA? Oh before I forget, Gary Oak had something Paul will never be able to live up to. The fact that Gary has been Ash's rival since they were young. Okay I think I'm just rambling now. Anyways I like the first seasons better than the new ones.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I don't really care about the eye surgery, no what I'm really wondering is how he can start in Pallet town at age ten and the narrator explains that he's age 10 in the Unova region. Like, what the heck? No one can beat 4 leagues and the orange islands while being chased by a bunch of goons. Brock id better than Cilan, Tracey is better than Cilan as well, I'm not hating on him though he's alright. Now let's get to the annoying female companions. Misty, she's annoying from the first episode Ash meets her. May was better than Misty by far attitude wise. Dawn is kinda crossing the wrong side of the line and Iris? Oh come on! She's about as bad as Misty. I liked the older ones better, with the squirtle squad and the comedy. I will however say this. In Unova, when the heck did team Rocket get more BA? Oh before I forget, Gary Oak had something Paul will never be able to live up to. The fact that Gary has been Ash's rival since they were young. Okay I think I'm just rambling now. Anyways I like the first seasons better than the new ones.

At least Misty wasn't anything like the girls from the episode Princess vs. Princess, or the girls from Love Hina or the girls from Battle Vixens. I can't say the same thing about May or Dawn. I can't comment either way on Iris though, since I haven't watched any episodes of Black and White, and I haven't heard whether she had any similar situations as in Princess v. Princess.

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
    Years
    I was fine with Pokemon for a long time, it had slumps and bad moments over the seasons, but it was tolerable, until Black and White. They pretty much got rid of a decade of Ash's growth, and it was pretty irritating to see Pikachu lose to a Snivy with barely any experience...

To me, the high points of the series were in the first 2 seasons, Battle Frontier, and Diamond and Pearl.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    I never really watched the old episodes (Except from the first few) and I really think the Johto Season, which is noticeably older, is better.

Back