• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Name change (no, not that name change thread)

Years
  • ya I'm taking my kid's names very seriously xD

But why wouldnt you want a lineage of your own name? I just wish I could be alive to see BadSheep XXV (obviously substituting BadSheep for my real name)

that would be sooooooooo cool
    But, like, kids gonna rebel for their independence, won't wanna have an "old person" name.

Sirfetch’d

I love my name! Or at least, I love the name Chase. Chase is actually my middle name but is the name that my parents chose for me to go by. I am not a huge fan of my first name, but I don't hate it.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2023
    I'm not sure if I'd change mine. On one hand, I've never really /liked/ my name, but on the other hand I'm used to it since it's what I've been called all my life.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • my name is already unisex so i suppose it works with me really. i like walden or abel though.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • idk if I would, I don't really like my name but I'm not sure I'd want to change it because everybody already knows me by my current name.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I'd change mine to Kimi since just about everyone besides family calls me that. XD I really like this name. My grandfather called me that before he passed away, and my mom used to really hate it.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • Yes to the irl name change, especially to one that doesn't look confusing in terms of spelling.

In fact, I don't get why this isn't more of an irl thing, as I for one am not usually satisfied with things that I did not decide on my own.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    In fact, I don't get why this isn't more of an irl thing, as I for one am not usually satisfied with things that I did not decide on my own.
    I suppose there might be a few reasons for it. The process to legally change your name can take a highly variable amount of time, and sometimes can take a long time, so that may be off-putting to some people. For some it might feel a bit unnecessary to legally change it when they've for a long time gone by a nickname and everyone has half forgotten that's not their full legal name. Others may feel self-conscious about or that it'd be a hassle or something to tell everyone they know to suddenly start calling them something else, and then potentially have to explain why when they might not want to. Maybe they just can't even think of a good new one.

of course all of this might not even be remotely correct, I'm just posting random thoughts again

Though you are right that it's a little strange how people are, for the most part, willing to accept a name they did not choose, but will not accept most other decisions being forced upon them. But then there's also the fact that like, babies can't really tell you what they want to be called either lol.

Years
  • I had a very small name change. (sort of)

So I was born in the US, but my parents being recent migrants from Mexico, didn't know the naming culture, so they named me Alexis. See, the thing is, in Latin America, Alexis is just a male name, unlike in the US where it is a girl name. I spent 12 years of my life shamefully saying 'here' whenever teachers called meAlexis.

I had my name changed years ago to just Alex. Now I live shame free haha.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • As for my name, I'd rather not change it. I've been referred by it for a long time, so I'm used to it.

Back