• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NASCAR, real sport?

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
Years
  • I've heard this wayy to much. "NASCAR isn't a sport, it's just 43 guys driving around in circles." They are right about the cricles part, but its a real sport peoples! I live in the NASCAR capital of the world, and wherever you look, you see something that has to do with racing. NASCAR or not, racing is still a sport.

Every heard of NASCAR???? If not, I feel sorry for you. Sure it's alot of waiting and walking to get to the race track, but it's worth it. My fave driver Dal Earnhardt Jr. He rox! Dunno who he is? Google it. His dad was a legend! Dale Eanrhadt Sr.

What do you think? Racing not a real sport? I wanna hear your thoughts!

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • I'd say no. I won't underestimate the amount of skill it takes to control a car at those speeds, but when it gets to that level it no longer comes down to who is a better racer than who, it comes down to who prepared their car the best beforehand.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • It takes more experience than you think. My friends dad works is on Michael Waltrips Pit Crew and he is gone weeks at a time fixing cars and testing. And racecar drivers are nicer than other sports people. They actually go out in public without bodygaurds or like a disguise on or something.

Where I live, you can walk into a store and see Tony Stewart buying stuff. I met his girlfriend before. AND his monkey! Yes Tony Stewart has a pet monkey.

Euphoric Magikarp

Magikarp ~<3
    Years
  • I guess it's a sport, but to me it's the most boring sport ever. I could watch a lap and be bored out of my skull. It's honestly to me not interesting at all.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    What do you think? Racing not a real sport? I wanna hear your thoughts!

The dictionary defines it as a sport, so what anyone thinks isn't going to change that. However, I do disagree with it being a sport. It's something like chess. Some people classify that as a sport as well because it challenges the brain. To me, that's what I think it is. It's something that challenges the brain. You have to know a lot about physics in order to really understand how to control your car, thus win a race.

To me, sports are about physical ability, not mental. But that's just one person's opinion on the subject.

I'd say no. I won't underestimate the amount of skill it takes to control a car at those speeds, but when it gets to that level it no longer comes down to who is a better racer than who, it comes down to who prepared their car the best beforehand.

I have to agree with this. However, I don't even believe the actual racecar driver puts as much effort in the car as much as the pit crew members, which is a shame because if it comes down to that, it's really the Pit Crew who make the win for the person in the car racing. They are the ones who treat the car and make sure it runs at it's best.

It takes more experience than you think. My friends dad works is on Michael Waltrips Pit Crew and he is gone weeks at a time fixing cars and testing. And racecar drivers are nicer than other sports people. They actually go out in public without bodygaurds or like a disguise on or something.

Where I live, you can walk into a store and see Tony Stewart buying stuff. I met his girlfriend before. AND his monkey! Yes Tony Stewart has a pet monkey.

I don't see why you're getting so defensive over it, you simply asked for our opinions on what we think. I wouldn't classify the whole racecar driver "community" as being nice because that's up to the person, not the sport. I don't see why you're describing what they do either. So many other athletes go out in public without bodyguards.

Overall, I enjoy watching Nascar, but to an extent. Some points are very dull and boring compared to so many other sports out their because all you do is, as many people think, see people driving around a racecar track.

ScyKinG

Can't Be Touched
    Years
  • Come on now =/ It takes no athletic ability =/ ... Then again neither does Gaming, which is highly considered a sport. (MLG)

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    I consider it a sport definatley. Think about it; you're competing against other racing drivers to get to first place, and whoever gets to the finish line first wins the prize. This is the same concept as in athletics, only you are using a vehicle. I can understand why people consider it not a sport since it doesnt require muscular training to compete. But it does require you to master a skill, which is driving at fast speeds while keeping in control of the vehicle. Which is highly technical. This is why its called motorsport ;)

And this is what sport means in the dictionary:
    1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    2. A particular form of this activity.
    3. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
    4. An active pastime; recreation.
    Makes sense to me. :) You have to physically move a gear stick to change gear, you have to physically turn the steering wheel when you want to turn, and you have to push pedals with your feet. It may appear lazy to some, but all who drive can tell you that driving for long periods of time is very strenuos on the body. Drivers are advised to pull over and rest from driving after doing so for long periods of time.

As much as I enjoy watching NASCAR. It isn't a sport. Why? You can't play it for leisure. And that's one of the reasons that makes a sport a sport

You can run for leasure without needing to compete in a race. The same applies to driving. You can go to open day circuits and thrash your car to bits. Or you can walk and get pleasure, the same as you can if you drive casually. It's still engagement in physical activity.

Not that I'd race in my embarrasing *erhem*.... ride! :P

To me, sports are about physical ability, not mental. But that's just one person's opinion on the subject.

Sports require mental preparation too. Mindsets play a great deal on how well you perform. Controlling the mind under great pressure can be much more physically demanding of the body than physical activity itself.

You see footballers when they shoot for goal; they don't just stand there paying no attention to the ball and then when the whistle is blown they run hit and hope. They focus themselves using power of the mind. To relax, keep calm, and channel their energy. They visualise shooting for goal and making it. They visualise where the ball is going.

Might sound all bogus to you, but it's true.

Anybody in sports will tell you... preparation is key. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    So to those who don't consider it a sport: Do you not consider horse racing a sport either?

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    I guess it's a sport, but to me it's the most boring sport ever. I could watch a lap and be bored out of my skull. It's honestly to me not interesting at all.

lol I find watching any form of motorsport doesn't cut it with me. I enjoy driving, I also enjoy playing racing video games, but I don't particularly enjoy watching it. If you enjoy driving more than watching it, being driven in a car is more boring than driving the car yourself.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • I have to agree with this. However, I don't even believe the actual racecar driver puts as much effort in the car as much as the pit crew members, which is a shame because if it comes down to that, it's really the Pit Crew who make the win for the person in the car racing. They are the ones who treat the car and make sure it runs at it's best.

Well, the driver is risking his/her life out there. Dale Earnhardt Sr. died racing. BUt it also is the pit crew that make the win.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Well, the driver is risking his/her life out there. Dale Earnhardt Sr. died racing. BUt it also is the pit crew that make the win.

It's definatley a high risk sport. Which provides many with the enjoyment and thrill of high speed, that's why they like to do it. Being close to death is said to be the moment of your life when you feel most alive. A step up from car racing is plane racing. Now that is brushing your facial hair right in Death's face ;)

And I agree, the team as a whole wins a race, not just the driver or the cockpit team. They have to work together to win. Quite simply without any driver or team its an automatic lose. If the driver accidentally crashes the car, they lose it as a team. If the front bumper falls off in a race causing the driver to spin, as a mistake of the cockpit team, they lose as a team.

But taking all into consideration, manufacturers have their advantages and disadvantages. You can win with any of them if the required effort is put in. Like a stratergy game such as Age Of Empries, even on the most difficult level you can win with any tribe as long as you play to the strengths that you have. Though of course, some manufacturers have better quality parts due to higher funding, resulting in higher performance.

Last edited:

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • I guess it's a sport, but to me it's the most boring sport ever. I could watch a lap and be bored out of my skull. It's honestly to me not interesting at all.

I'd beg to differ. Watch a few more laps, and someone is bound to smack into the wall or flip. Trust me, I've been there. People throw soda cans at Kyle Bush when he wins. He's a lying stinking cheater!!!

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
  • I'd beg to differ. Watch a few more laps, and someone is bound to smack into the wall or flip. Trust me, I've been there. People throw soda cans at Kyle Bush when he wins. He's a lying stinking cheater!!!

Um, HELLO? NASCAR has desperatly needed a "bad boy" like Kyle Busch. He races to win. Just like Dale Earnhardt did. He would knock you out of the way to win (ie Bristol '98. Tags Terry Labonte in Turn 4). NASCAR needs a guy like him. (But we haven't seen Busch do that to win, YET)

NASCAR has made this "sport" safer since Earnhardt's death. The HANS device, roof flaps (but they were invented before), and the safer barrier

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • Um, HELLO? NASCAR has desperatly needed a "bad boy" like Kyle Busch. He races to win. Just like Dale Earnhardt did. He would knock you out of the way to win (ie Bristol '98. Tags Terry Labonte in Turn 4). NASCAR needs a guy like him. (But we haven't seen Busch do that to win, YET)

NASCAR has made this "sport" safer since Earnhardt's death. The HANS device, roof flaps (but they were invented before), and the safer barrier

Well in my opinion, I don't lke Kyle Bush. We have diffrent opinions. But everyone in my family and all our friends don't like Kyle Bush for some reason. Probably cuz he played a dirty trick on Dale Jr.

Jr. was down, Bush was up next to the wall, Jr. was leading. Kyle Bush goes down and spins him out and causes a cation and goes back perfetly fine into place.

Dirty trick if ya ask me. But we have our own opinions, right?

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
  • Hey, as they say; it racein' (spelling?)

I didn't like Kevin Harvick for awhile. In the '01 Richmond race. He bumps the leader (and my favorite driver) Ricky Rudd out of the lead. Rudd returned the favor. Then a few years later, Rudd knocked Harvick into the wall, and how does Harvick repay him? By jumping onto his roof!

I don't really care about Kyle Busch, really

wolfie1177

PC needs to get more brutal!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    Racing in any form is NOT a sport. Any event that relies solely on how much money can be poured into a person's car to make them win is not a sport, it's a game of who can spend the most. They could probably pull a taxi driver off the street, give him a week's training, and if they put him in a Hendrick's Racing car he could place in the top 10. It's all about sponsor dollars.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • Racing in any form is NOT a sport. Any event that relies solely on how much money can be poured into a person's car to make them win is not a sport, it's a game of who can spend the most. They could probably pull a taxi driver off the street, give him a week's training, and if they put him in a Hendrick's Racing car he could place in the top 10. It's all about sponsor dollars.

No it isn't. They put a lot of time into these cars. And sure, maybe some drivers belive it's about the money *cough* Kyle Bush *cough* But for most of them, it isn't. A lot of drivers put lives at risk, they could die if they get in a crash:

NASCAR, real sport?

See? Car on fire? They don't crash on purpouse to get fans or attention or money. Just try to talk to one of the drivers, or vist one of their shops, you'll see it isnt about the money.

Back