• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help with my team

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2022
    Hi Everyone! Recently I created a Trick room/Sun/Grassy Terrain team and when doing some final checks I released I had 3 Pokemon weak to flying and no counter to them. I was wondering if anyone had any good opinions on what I should use to fill that counter, right now I like the look of emolga as it learns Tailwind and Thunder Wave if I decide against using a trick room play and also learns volt switch which can somewhat take care of flying types. Another option I thought looked good was a Heliolisk as it takes care of flying types and does not have a weakness to ice which already to of my Pokemon have
    My Team is as follows:

Torkoal @ Charcoal
    Ability: Drought
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Heat Wave
    - Solar Beam
    - Protect
    - Shell Smash

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
    Ability: Overgrow
    EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Growth
    - Giga Drain
    - Synthesis

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Relaxed Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Bulk Up
    - Brick Break
    - Horn Leech

Hariyama @ Aguav Berry
    Ability: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Knock Off
    - Wide Guard
    - Brick Break

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Ability: Trace
    EVs: 4 HP / 100 Def / 148 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    - Toxic

Sirfetch’d

Anyways, why Charcoal and no Speed investment on Torkoal? You'd be much better off running Shell Smash with White Herb and max Speed to reverse the Defense drops.

Also run Chlorophyll on Venusaur. While you will be Mega Evolving instantly almost all of the time, there may be instances where you need a Speed boost in the sun to get a surprise KO.

Idk what else to say about the rest of your team though tbh. Maybe invest into some Sp Def on Bulu and give your Porygon2 max EVs.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2022
    I'm assuming this is doubles?

Anyways, why Charcoal and no Speed investment on Torkoal? You'd be much better off running Shell Smash with White Herb and max Speed to reverse the Defense drops.

Also run Chlorophyll on Venusaur. While you will be Mega Evolving instantly almost all of the time, there may be instances where you need a Speed boost in the sun to get a surprise KO.

Idk what else to say about the rest of your team though tbh. Maybe invest into some Sp Def on Bulu and give your Porygon2 max EVs.

Torkaol, it's a trick room sweeper Torkaol for use under trick room so it would not be the fastest Pokemon on the field if a brought speed investments, It has Charcaol to get an increased SpA as it only has a base of 85. Must have made a mistake on Showdown with that Porygon2 my apologies, also I agree with that SpD investment on Tapu Bulu, might u give me a spread for his moveset. What do you think in terms of that flying type killer?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Torkaol, it's a trick room sweeper Torkaol for use under trick room so it would not be the fastest Pokemon on the field if a brought speed investments, It has Charcaol to get an increased SpA as it only has a base of 85. Must have made a mistake on Showdown with that Porygon2 my apologies, also I agree with that SpD investment on Tapu Bulu, might u give me a spread for his moveset. What do you think in terms of that flying type killer?

Shell Smash is pointless on something as slow as Torkoal, especially Trick Room variants. It should be noted that Eruption weakens as Torkoal weakens, so a backup Fire attack is ideal:
    -Eruption
    -Heat Wave
    -Solar Beam/Flamethrower/Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Protect
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SAtk
    Item: Charcoal/Flame Plate/Firium Z

Lilligant is something worth considering over Venusaur because it has After You to bypass Torkoal's bad Speed:
    -Leaf Storm
    -Sleep Powder
    -After You
    -Protect
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash/Grassium Z
    Ability: Chlorophyll

Tapu Bulu is better with offensive spreads to take advantage of its higher power:
    -Wood Hammer
    -Nature's Madness
    -Superpower
    -Stone Edge
    Nature: Brave
    EVs: 252 HP/192 Atk/68 SDef (survives Charizard Y's Heat Wave)
    Item: Assault Vest

or
    -Wood Hammer/Horn Leech
    -Superpower/Substitute
    -Nature's Madness/Leech Seed/Toxic
    -Protect
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP/196 Atk/4 Def/36 SDef/20 Spe (survives Pelipper's Hurricane)
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Wood Hammer
    -Horn Leech
    -Superpower/Substitute/Disable
    -Protect
    EVs: 244 HP/116 Atk/140 Def/4 SDef/4 Spe (greater chance of surviving Celesteela's Heavy Slam)
    Item: Miracle Seed/Meadow Plate

I'd say that Hariyama is the more expendable member of the team, given that it's been adding on unwanted Flying weaknesses. It's not a good idea to have Porygon2 be the sole Trick Room setter on the team as when it goes down, the whole strategy falls apart. You need a backup Trick Room setter, like Oranguru, which has Instruct to let Trick Room sweepers use their attacks again:
    -Trick Room
    -Psychic
    -Instruct
    -Protect
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/140 Def/20 SAtk/92 SDef
    Item: Mental Herb

I don't get the point of Porygon2's EVs; you're not even maxed out in HP. The ideal EV spread is 244 HP/76 Def/188 SDef.

If you're focusing on Trick Room, Emolga isn't exactly a good pick because Tailwind goes against the point of Trick Room; it's better to pick between one or the other. As you might need attackers outside of Trick Room, you might need Flying resistances to apply pressure. Nihilego is an example of a fast Rock Pokemon that can deal with Flying Pokemon (remember that it can't reliably switch in on them because of its bad Defense, so it should be used as a lead or sent in after a teammate has been KOed):
    -Power Gem
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Protect
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    You're probably trying to do too much at once, having this as a Sun+Trick Room+Grassy Terrain team. Stuff kinda starts to conflict with each other because of that, hard to make a coherent team. Stick with one thing for now.

As for the issue of flying types, Tapu Koko and Mega Manectric make for good offensive answers to them. For more defensive answers, stuff like Zapdos or some fat Rock or Steel type is usually good.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2022
    Shell Smash is pointless on something as slow as Torkoal, especially Trick Room variants. It should be noted that Eruption weakens as Torkoal weakens, so a backup Fire attack is ideal:
    -Eruption
    -Heat Wave
    -Protect

Lilligant is something worth considering over Venusaur because it has After You to bypass Torkoal's bad Speed:
    -Leaf Storm
    -Sleep Powder
    -After You
    -Protect

Tapu Bulu is better with offensive spreads to take advantage of its higher power:
    -Wood Hammer
    -Nature's Madness
    -Superpower
    -Stone Edge

or
    -Wood Hammer/Horn Leech
    -Superpower/Substitute
    -Protect

or
    -Wood Hammer
    -Horn Leech
    -Protect
    EVs: 244 HP/116 Atk/140 Def/4 SDef/4 Spe (greater chance of surviving Celesteela's Heavy Slam)

I'd say that Hariyama is the more expendable member of the team, given that it's been adding on unwanted Flying weaknesses. It's not a good idea to have Porygon2 be the sole Trick Room setter on the team as when it goes down, the whole strategy falls apart. You need a backup Trick Room setter, like Oranguru, which has Instruct to let Trick Room sweepers use their attacks again:
    -Trick Room
    -Psychic
    -Instruct
    -Protect

I don't get the point of Porygon2's EVs; you're not even maxed out in HP. The ideal EV spread is 244 HP/76 Def/188 SDef.

If you're focusing on Trick Room, Emolga isn't exactly a good pick because Tailwind goes against the point of Trick Room; it's better to pick between one or the other. As you might need attackers outside of Trick Room, you might need Flying resistances to apply pressure. Nihilego is an example of a fast Rock Pokemon that can deal with Flying Pokemon (remember that it can't reliably switch in on them because of its bad Defense, so it should be used as a lead or sent in after a teammate has been KOed):
    -Power Gem
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Protect

Ok I will definitely try Eruption on the Torkaol for Shell Smash. I think I will breed a lilligant and give him those EVs and moveset but I'm going to try to see who works better on the Battle Spot. I think the Second spread and moveset for Tapu Bulu could work really well but do you think considering my team in a trick room one to dump the Spe EVs in something like Attack or SpD. The whole Emolga and Hariyama thing was so that my team could run out of trick room as Hariyama could Fake Out to give Emolga a chance to get a Tailwind or maybe a Thunder Wave too if it isn't hit that turn as I would probably focus sash it. This means that I can get a free switch in on a slow Pokemon like Torkaol with Emolga Volt Switch and I've if Emolga was targeted as long as it was a physical attack it won't be able to do much to my Torkaol, however I will definitely also try the Nilhilego and Oranguru

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2022
    -Eruption
    -Heat Wave
    -Protect

-Leaf Storm
    -Sleep Powder
    -After You
    -Protect

-Wood Hammer
    -Nature's Madness
    -Superpower
    -Stone Edge

or
    -Wood Hammer/Horn Leech
    -Superpower/Substitute
    -Protect

or
    -Wood Hammer
    -Horn Leech
    -Protect

-Trick Room
    -Psychic
    -Instruct
    -Protect

-Power Gem
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Protect

Also I was wondering if you think maybe Bronzong was a better option then Oranguru as it learns trick room and skill swap which can allow me to reset Grassy Terrain and Drought

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Also I was wondering if you think maybe Bronzong was a better option then Oranguru as it learns trick room and skill swap which can allow me to reset Grassy Terrain and Drought

Bronzong is an interesting addition; it can even give Torkoal Levitate to avoid Earthquakes or Heatproof to Tapu Bulu to weaken Fire attacks:
    -Trick Room
    -Gyro Ball
    -Zen Headbutt/Skill Swap
    -Protect
    Nature: Brave/Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef (Brave) or 252 HP/60 Def/196 SDef (Sassy)
    Item: Colbur Berry/Lum Berry/Mental Herb
    Ability: Levitate/Heatproof

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2022
    Bronzong is an interesting addition; it can even give Torkoal Levitate to avoid Earthquakes or Heatproof to Tapu Bulu to weaken Fire attacks:
    -Trick Room
    -Gyro Ball
    -Zen Headbutt/Skill Swap
    -Protect
    Nature: Brave/Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef (Brave) or 252 HP/60 Def/196 SDef (Sassy)
    Item: Colbur Berry/Lum Berry/Mental Herb
    Ability: Levitate/Heatproof

I think I'll go with Heatproof as it there for doesn't give me 3 fire type weaknesses and open up a huge whole for Arcanine. Thanks for the spread

Back