• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need some advice for team.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    So I have a decent 3 pokemon team and am looking to expand it to 6. Looking for suggestions. Pokemon are as follows:
    Salamence (Salamencite)
    Moves:
    Return, Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Earthquake
    EVS: 252 Att/ 252 Sp/ 4 def
    Skarmory (Suggestions for held item?)
    Moves:
    Brave Bird, Roost, Stealth Rock, Roost, Whirlwind
    EVS: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Att
    Lanturn (Chesto Berry)
    Moves:
    Volt Switch, Heal Bell, Rest, Scald
    EVS: 252 Hp/252 Spdef/ 4 unknown
    If you have any suggestions on my current team, I would appreciate those too. Thanks! (Also even though I didn't include natures, they would be appreciated in suggestions.)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Is this team for in-game Battle Spot/Wi-Fi or for Showdown? I can't really help you expand the team unless you specify what format the team is for, but I can help you with what you have (assuming that this team is for Battle Spot/Wi-Fi). In Showdown play, Mega Salamence is an Uber, meaning it can't be used in standard teams.

Salamence doesn't really need Dragon Claw, honestly, as Aerilate Return has good neutral coverage:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake/Fire Blast
    -Outrage/Fire Blast
    Nature: Jolly/Naive
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Salamencite
    Ability: Intimidate

or
    -Substitute
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Roost
    Nature: Adamant
    Evs: 168 HP/92 Atk/88 SDef/160 Spe
    Item: Salamencite
    Ability: Intimidate

Skarmory should hold Leftovers or Shed Shell. Impish should be the nature.

Lanturn doesn't have much to set itself apart from Wash Rotom, which has Levitate to negate one of its weaknesses:
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Pain Split
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe (Bold) or 248 HP/216 SDef/44 Spe (Calm)
    Item: Leftovers

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    Ok, well I'm looking for a battle spot/ wi-fi team...so...first i would just like to build on what i have first. Then I would work on fixing on the issues with my current three. So I will be taking all your suggestions into consideration. So now that I have specified, if anyone has any ideas, they would be appreciated. Thanks! Note: No legendaries please.

Last edited:

rob_thijs

Trick Room Master
    Years
    If you like Lanturn, you can make it work. I use him as my special attacker(recently replaced it with Raikou). It's not the strongest pokémon, true. But I like him a lot and Lanturn can do well with any Flying type or Levitate pokémon in any team. True Rotom Wash is better but don't let you scare away by stronger pokémons. Don't be that guy with all the OU pokémon on a team. Try something new, find a tactic and impress others. If you really like lanturn use it! Here are two sets you can use. One is a Choice Specs build and the other one is a pivot.

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
    Volt Absorb
    Modest
    196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
    - Scald / Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Ice Beam
    - HP Grass / Thunderbolt

or

Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Volt Absorb
    Calm
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    - Scald
    - Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
    - Heal Bell
    - Thunder Wave

The reason for 252 HP and 252 SpD is you normally only switch in to SpA moves and the more you can take, the better. I know Smogon says 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD, but this EV spread has been the most usefull to me.

Like I said he can be used best with a Flying type or Levitate pokémon in a team.

Example Lanturn and Talonflame.
    Talonflame can't take out an electric or water pokémon because some pokémon are bulky. Switch in to Lanturn to absorb the Electric type move or to eat that Water type move up. Lanturn can hit the water type super effective with HP Grass(example swampert) or Electric moves. Ground type pokémon switches in? No problem, switch in to Talonflame and absorb the EQ and on the following turn U-turn out, cause ground type's are normally slow. (Be careful for rock type moves though!)

Or use him with Mega-Scizor. Mega-Scizor can take an earthquake and has 4 times resistance to grass. And Lanturn covers Scizors one weakness: Fire!
    If you stick with Mega-Slamence replace the items. If you use Mega Scizor take Light Metal as ability and for the regular Scizor use Technician!
    If used with Pivot Lanturn:
    Scizor @ Scizorite / Life Orb
    Technician or Light Metal
    Adamant
    252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Swords Dance
    - U-Turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Knock Off

or

Impish
    248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 Def
    - U-Turn
    - Roost
    - Bullet Punch
    - Knock Off

If used with Choice Specs Lanturn:
    Impish
    252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    - Defog
    - Roost
    - Bullet Punch
    - Knock off / U-turn

Adamant
    248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
    - Bullet Punch
    - Roost
    - Pursuit
    - Toxic / U-turn

These are examples, you can do so much more with both Lanturn and Scizor. Try something new and IMPRESS!

Last edited:

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    ahh I love that you want to use Lanturn, it's definitely an underrated Pokemon.

I've always recommend it to be used in rain teams, but regardless even out of a rain team I still think it's viable. A lot of people underestimate it too.
    This is my favorite set:
    Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Heal Bell
    - Toxic

You can invest in EV's in HP with a full 252, but it's more useful elsewhere since his HP is already pretty good.
    Not sure how viable a modest Lanturn would work out when facing an Uber Pokemon on battle spot wi-fi or something, but it's probably worth a try if you're into the UU/NU tiers (:

IF you find that Lanturn isn't working out for you, I'd suggest another cleric type Pokemon like Vaporeon who can also perform defensively with heal bell and such. Or Ampharos even, if you're trying to fill both those types to cover.
    I think Rotom-W is overrated but if you can get your hands on it and want a solid Pokemon, look into maybe trying him out too!

I hope I could help, disclaimer that I'm not a pro though :P

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    ahh I love that you want to use Lanturn, it's definitely an underrated Pokemon.

I've always recommend it to be used in rain teams, but regardless even out of a rain team I still think it's viable. A lot of people underestimate it too.
    This is my favorite set:
    Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Heal Bell
    - Toxic

You can invest in EV's in HP with a full 252, but it's more useful elsewhere since his HP is already pretty good.
    Not sure how viable a modest Lanturn would work out when facing an Uber Pokemon on battle spot wi-fi or something, but it's probably worth a try if you're into the UU/NU tiers (:

IF you find that Lanturn isn't working out for you, I'd suggest another cleric type Pokemon like Vaporeon who can also perform defensively with heal bell and such. Or Ampharos even, if you're trying to fill both those types to cover.
    I think Rotom-W is overrated but if you can get your hands on it and want a solid Pokemon, look into maybe trying him out too!

I hope I could help, disclaimer that I'm not a pro though :P
    There are better Heal Bell users out there, like Clefable, Sylveon and even Mega Lopunny. The former two have crucial resistances, while the latter's offensive presence gives it enough time to use Heal Bell on a predicted switch:

Sylveon:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Hyper Voice
    -Heal Bell/Toxic
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 SDef
    Ability: Pixilate

Clefable:
    -Moonblast
    -Heal Bell/Thunder Wave
    -Wish/Moonlight
    -Protect/Stealth Rock
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Ability: Unaware

Mega Lopunny:
    -Return
    -High Jump Kick
    -Power-Up Punch
    -Heal Bell
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Lopunnite
    Ability: Limber

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    There are better Heal Bell users out there, like Clefable, Sylveon and even Mega Lopunny. The former two have crucial resistances, while the latter's offensive presence gives it enough time to use Heal Bell on a predicted switch:

Sylveon:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Hyper Voice
    -Heal Bell/Toxic
    EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 SDef
    Ability: Pixilate

Clefable:
    -Moonblast
    -Heal Bell/Thunder Wave
    -Wish/Moonlight
    -Protect/Stealth Rock
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Ability: Unaware

Mega Lopunny:
    -Return
    -High Jump Kick
    -Power-Up Punch
    -Heal Bell
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Lopunnite
    Ability: Limber

yup definitely agreed with Sylveon, that's the best thing she does imo.
    As for Clefable, it's a good heal bell user but I find it more useful with this set:
    Clefable @ Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Flamethrower
    - Moonblast
    - Soft-Boiled

Just my personal preference since it has such a great ability to sweep teams, helped me a ton. It all depends on your team and play style so OP can decide on what to use ;p
    I suggested Ampharos/Vaporeon because of them both having heal bell and I wanted to give something that would offer either water or electric types since it seems he wants to cover those with Lanturn.
    Also, a good core or partner Pokemon could be Goodra. with assault vest & sap sipper, if you predict an incoming grass type move he's like the perfect switch in for Lanturn.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    Ok well, I think I might put in a Clefable and Goodra...but need a suggestion for a 6th pokemon (Sylveon?)(also if thats a bad idea, tell me. I have not the slightest idea what I am doing...). So if anyone has any suggestion for a last Pokemon that'd be great. Thanks guys.

rob_thijs

Trick Room Master
    Years
    Something that is fast.
    Skarmory, Lanturn, Clefable and even Goodra are not the fastest pokémon out there. Have something that can revenge kill.
    Something that is has a Choice Scarf, a pokémon that is naturally fast or a strong priority move.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    Well the Salamance is actually pretty fast, especially when mega-evolved. Might just go with a Scizor...

rob_thijs

Trick Room Master
    Years

Legendary pokémon are not allowed on rating battles, if he is going to do that he can run Lanturn;)
    Most common pokémon:
    252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 182-215 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 356-422 (119.8 - 142%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Altaria Draco Meteor vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Lanturn: 195-231 (44.3 - 52.5%) -- 18.4% chance to 2HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 436-516 (149.3 - 176.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

192+ Atk Altaria Return vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 119-140 (27 - 31.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
    192+ Atk Altaria Earthquake vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 232-274 (52.7 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Ice Beam vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 436-516 (142 - 168%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 277-327 (62.9 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 62-73 (14 - 16.5%) -- possible 7HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Volt Switch vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 320-378 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
    Lanturn outspeeds most common used EV spread on Azumarill

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 320-378 (72.7 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 576-680 (162.7 - 192%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    He can't set up substitute when switched in to Lanturn and a Earthquake will not kill.

0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Lanturn: 77-91 (17.5 - 20.6%) -- possible 5HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Rotom-W: 108-128 (35.5 - 42.1%) -- 85.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Lanturn: 208-246 (47.2 - 55.9%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 272-322 (90.9 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

0- Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 75-88 (17 - 20%) -- possible 5HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 354-416 (105.9 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Psyshock vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 220-261 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Volt Switch vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 306-360 (116.7 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Mega Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 200-236 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO
    252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 46-55 (10.4 - 12.5%) -- possible 8HKO
    252+ Atk Mega Scizor Superpower vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 248-292 (56.3 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 151-178 (53.7 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    If Scizor packs super power Scizor wins, if not Lanturn can handle him

This are some examples I knew for sure it would win against, he can do very well in OU on the right team ofcourse. He will do better in UU/RU/NU but if you like something and want something, don't hold back and try it out! Just be carefull for ground and grass moves cause he can't live that.

Last edited:

rob_thijs

Trick Room Master
    Years
    Some legendaries aren't allowed in rated battles on Battle Spot.

He said Ubers, but there is a difference between Ubers on Smogon and Ubers on Battlespot, that's why I used the term Legendary pokémon.
    And for some reason I don't consider the Birds or Beasts, the Golems, the Eon Duo, the Lake Guardians or the Forces of Nature legends.
    Cresselia, Heatran etc. can be used aswell ofcourse.
    But they are legends and not everyone sees it the way I'm seeing it ofcourse;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    I'm not even quite sure what some of that means....but however, anyone has anything to say in way of sixth pokemon (kinda thinking Scizor).

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    So anybody got anything in the way of EV spreads, moves, items, natures, etc. for Goodra, Scizor, and something else?

Back