• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Abilities

espeon2020

I loves eeveelutions :D
Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2011
    Hey everyone! I was just wondering what everyone's favorite abilities are.

My favorite moves are:
    Shell Break (Increases Speed, S.Atk, Atk, Lowers Def, S.Def) because it's very useful for sweeping.
    Acrobatics (Doubles damage with no held item) owns with pokemon like Archeops

My favorite abilities are:
    Prankster (Lets non-damaging moves go first) useful for setting up on opponents, especially in wifi battles.
    Contrary (Reverses stat changes) Leaf Storm + Contrary = win

There are others that I like but I don't remember sooooo BYE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Just a note: We've already got a thread on new moves right here, so I edited the thread to remove the moves aspect. However! Technically the last abilities thread will die tomorrow, so it still has a day left, buuut... since I feel nice I'll just lock that one and you can use this thread, because one day won't make much of a difference. :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Is Overcoat new?
    I think Overcoat's new.

Either way, it's a really handy ability against the 120989323 sandstorm teams.
    Overcoat is just a watered-down version of Magic Guard; it only protects the user against weather damage. Since the Solosis line has both abilities, they're still better with Magic Guard.

Anyway, the new abilities I like:
    -Moxie: The more you KO, the stronger you get. Works well with Choice Scarf.
    -Poison Touch: All contact moves gain Poison Jab's secondary effect, which is useful. Too bad Seismitoad is the only Pokemon that can have it.
    -Regenerator: Free HP when leaving the battle is always good.
    -Sand Rush: Essentially a Swift Swim in Sandstorm
    -Illusion: Very useful for the gullible, but it's one-off, IMO.
    -Imposter: This is why Ditto is being used now.
    -Sap Sipper: I liked its old name better, but it's amusing to see the Pokemon eat the attack (not literally in the games) to boost itself.
    -Victory Star: Even though it's exclusive to Victini, you and your teammates get a Wide Lens boost.

I really hate Defeatist, because it makes Archen/Archeops weaker when they're close to fainting. I know that GF gave them that ability for a reason. Weak Armor is interesting, but I wouldn't use it because it's seen on bulky Pokemon, who'd rather not trade in their bulk for Speed.

Psyshock

Psychic Type Master
    Years
  • Yeah defeatist sucks but it does kind of remind me of myself; I start off strong but when the going gets rough I tend to give up...But, out of all the new abilities I say that Moxie is the best.

Years
  • Well since there are no rediculous abilitys yet that i can have fun with.....
    I shall stick with the Obligitory Illusion, now time to put that Toxicroak in the back of my party.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    None of these abilities are new except two, but I'll list the ones on my pokemon anyhow:
    Blaze: Powers up fire-type moves below 1/3 HP. I tend to heal in that range, but if I get into competitive battling, it could be useful.
    Sand Rush: Doubles speed in a sandstorm. Or I think it doubles. Not used, unless in a sandstorm route. Thinking back, I probably could have used this in route 4 and the desert resort.
    Victory Star: Since it only activates in double battles, I should use victini in double battles whenever possible.
    Motor Drive: Boosts speed when hit by an electric-type move. Yay for Wi-Fi battle fake-outs! In-game, though... Not too great.
    Guts: Boosts attack if there's a status problem. Kind of nullified if it's a burn effect, but poison and paralyze should be kept on it. Throh is awesome, by the way.
    Gluttony: Makes pokemon use berries at 1/2 or 1/3 - I forget which - instead of 1/4. Considering my Simisage is holding a miracle seed, this isn't a good ability in-game.
    What's everyone else's favorite abilities? And I know it says NEW abilities, but I didn't have many new abilities on my pokemon and I don't know of many.

Years
  • I can tell you one ability that I HATE....and that´s Hustle...I was wondering why my Deino just cant hit the move on his opponents...and then I realised that it was because his ability...seriously, I dont care about raising my attack..I just want to actually hit the move ! :D

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2012
    Gastro Acid s a 4th gen move bro.

Magic Bounce is the only reason Xatu will again see play.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Moxie can be useful with a scarf but it's very predictable.

Sand Rush is pretty great but I've seen it's abuse in the ever-present sandstorm teams (so I'm bored by it)

Defeatist sucks so bad xD

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Undoubtedly the best new ability of the generation is Magic Bounce. It's ridiculously good and essentially removes the need for a Rapid Spinner, meaning my Starmie is now free to be a complete sweeper.

After that, Moxie looks VERY good. I haven't trained any pokémon with it yet but I can't wait to get my hands on a Sandile.

Overcoat is nice but Magic Guard is far better.

Besides that I can't think of much. Nice to have another pokémon with Mold Breaker though. (Haxorus)

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Well the obvious worst ability is Defeatist. I mean Acrobats + Archeops, a physical powerhouse, absolutely owns! But defeatist, it's only ability halves attack when it reaches below 50% HP. This is an incredibly bad ability, Archeops would have been the biggest powerhouse and would dominate competitive battling let alon in game battling without it.

1800th post!!11!1!! ^.^

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2012
    Illusion Zoroak and Moxie Salamence are best friends, since the foe assumes a Salamence Lead to be a Zoroak (Since Intimidate didn't activate, and they see your team before hand) and with Flamethrower on a mixed set, creates a confusion that usually nets you a free moxie boost to start Dragon Clawing away.

Years
  • My favourite new abilities:

Contrary - Reverses stat changes. This means moves like Leaf Storm can now be more useful.
    Moxie - Makes your Attack power go up if you knock out an opponent. Bad it's only good for Trainer Battles.
    Analytic - Makes your move do more damage if you attack after the opponent. I'm not really a fan of going last but this ability works well with low Speed Pokemon.
    Regenerator - This ability restores HP when you switch out. Nice.
    Sap Sipper - Unusual name, but it powers up your Attack if a Grass move hits you. I'm planning to get a Sawsbuck in Black especially with this ability.
    Rattled - Speed powers up if Bug, Dark or Ghost attacks hit you. This means Pokemon like Cubchoo can get pretty fast against opponents of these types.
    Sand Rush - It's like Swift Swim and Chlorophyll for sandstorms.
    Imposter - Ditto transforms right away. Ditto is finally made more useful! Shame it's only available in Dream World.
    Big Pecks - Cannot lower your Defense. I'm planning to get Swanna, which can possess this ability.
    Unnerve - Opponent can't eat their berry, giving you a nice advantage.
    Harvest - Berry is now reusable. Nice if you use Berries a lot.

The worst:

Weak Armor - Increases Speed but lowers Defense. No wonder I hate Garbodor.
    Zen Mode - Darmanitan gets slower at half health. Disadvantageous.
    Defeatist - Worst ability ever! Lowers Attack and Sp. Atk at half health. I'm getting Tirtouga rather than Archen because of this.
    Overcoat - Only protects you from hail and sandstorm. Magic Guard is way better.

Destiny.

The Absol Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2019
    Imposter! I love dittos and the fact they are useful makes me <3

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2012
    Overcoat is for doubles and triples, it protects the whole team iirc, while Magic Coat only protects the individual.

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
  • About 5th Gen...

My absolute favs are Moxie, Contrary, Prankster and Infiltrator.
    My fav move in Chip Away, if you set up things like Bulk Up, you can even 1HKO a +6 Evasion (anyone said Scrafty? :D)

And, I have to understand why an ability like Defeatist exist. There should be a trick... Maybe you can only avoid that in Double/Triple battles with a partner with Gastro Acid?

Back