• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Hoenn Pokemon Official Artwork?!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I'm not sure if new Hoenn pokemon artwork is needed.

It was more pressing for the 1st and 2nd gens because the art style was so different. The art style and quality hasn't changed all that much since the 3rd gen.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2020
    For humans I'm almost certain that the characters will all get updated artwork, because the style is vastly different to how artwork is now. Plus, they never released the official artwork for most of the characters for RS online. Not a huge deal but I'd expect they will this time around.

As for Pokémon; I thought they would - but with the recent CoroCoro scan using Kyogre and Groudon's original artwork, I'm thinking they might not. The artwork for Kanto and Johto was vastly different in style and were quite unprofessional, so they had to be updated. Meanwhile, Hoenn started the digital artwork for Pokémon, so I don't know if they'll change them now.

I fully expect the starters at least to get new artwork.

But like someone else said, they might have just used the old artwork in CoroCoro because they were comparing the boxarts with the artwork of the Legends. They might just be holding off the release until next month/later on when they begin releasing information from the games.

Personally, some Pokémon could really benefit from it (Such as Relicanth, who, until a few years ago, I thought the red dot was his eye and didn't even realise he was a fish XD [I feel stupid about it now!])

Years
    I'm all for it, but not sure they will take the time to that. I think the main reason they created new official artwork for FRLG and HGSS were because they previous artwork was in an old style that contrasted heavily to the new style that begun in the 3rd generation. However, I may be wrong, and I hope I am. It's always nice to see how the artists recapture the personalities and attributes of each pokemon!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    They better update that artwork! I'd love to see Ken Sugimori style art in 2014 for all of the characters and Pokemon. Especially seeing an updated Brendan and May. That'd be super awesome. <3

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I wonder how Sugimori feels...now that he may be drawing art for Hoenn once again. I would feel nostalgic if I were him, here is where he changed his style to the new modern one after all.

He'd probably recall a long journey that he has travelled back from the days when he used to see sprites and simplistic designs. Remember, Hoenn Pokémon were the first step to complex Pokémon designs.

I think we would really see new concepts seeing as the trainer classes like Youngsters weren't as stylish as RSE would allow them to be. They'd probably be upgraded to match X&Y stuff. I can't really see old Pokémon getting new concept designs, but perhaps the starters and legendaries might, you know, to feature them off and stuff. As of now, it would be nice to see the new art styles for the old Pokémon.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    I'm gonna wait for the new artworks since I hope they look redonkulous <3

It's about time GF updated all of the artworks to be more lively and stuff :3

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I will admit, the showcasing of the older art of Groudon and Kyogre makes it seem like the Pokémon might not get updated art, but there's still a chance that they're just holding back until later.

The trainers' art will definitely receive an upgrade though. Sugimori's way of drawing humans has changed quite a bit, even from the gen 3 era to now...and Sugimori doesn't even draw all the humans any more. Ohmura might actually draw a few this time around. And since ORAS is using the visual style of XY, it's safe to assume they will also have the trainers' artwork show up on-screen when you challenge them, so they'll want that to be as up-to-date as possible--and perhaps they might even redesign certain aspects of some trainers (similar to Sabrina's major overhaul in HGSS, and the more complex dress Jasmine received). Also, some characters will probably finally get art for this reason (Tabitha and Shelly, I seriously can't wait!).
    Pokémon on the other hand can't really be "redesigned," so it's a little more acceptable if they reuse their old concept art. Still, it would be super awesome to see them updated, though!

Oh, yeah! Tabitha and Shelly (and Courtney and Matt) should all get official artwork, like the Team Galactic Admins ("Commanders") did!

I really like Yusuke Ohmura's artwork; when I first saw the artwork for certain characters (Iris and Nate/Rosa, if I recall correctly), I got confused and thought that Ken Sugimori had changed his style... Only later did I learn that Yusuke Ohmura provided some character artwork for the Unova-based games.. Ohmura's artwork could really make Brendan/May feel more "redesigned"-ish.. XD Emerald artwork of Brendan/May seems to be very close to Ken Sugimori's current art style from what I can see, so having another illustrator tackle the Hoenn main characters' appearances might be interesting..

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    It would be awkward seeing the characters' old art show up on the battle screen, haha, so I hope they follow that example.

fenyx4 said:
    Only later did I learn that Yusuke Ohmura provided some character artwork for the Unova-based games.. Ohmura's artwork could really make Brendan/May feel more "redesigned"-ish.. XD Emerald artwork of Brendan/May seems to be very close to Ken Sugimori's current art style from what I can see, so having another illustrator tackle the Hoenn main characters' appearances might be interesting..
    Indeed. Perhaps Ohmura's involvement is a sort of segue into Sugimori no longer providing human artwork or art in general for the Pokemon franchise. This would be a little disenchanting but if Ohmura keeps up his previous designs, I would be alright with it since they are rather lovely. I'd love a Unova-style Brendan, or any character for that matter, and am very excited for new art to surface.

Years
    Ohmura's art is certainly a breath of fresh air. It would be interesting if they have most of the artwork responsibility to him for ORAS. Personally, I'd be all for it. His work during generation V was stunning, and I'm sure he can't do wrong with working on the third generation. I can't wait to see Brendan and May remastered! :]

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I personally would love new artwork,both in game and out. I can't wait to see artwork for Manectric and Camerupt,and as for humans I certainly wouldn't mind updated artwork for Flannery,Tate and Liza,Winona,Norman,Roxanne,and May.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Ohmura's art is certainly a breath of fresh air. It would be interesting if they have most of the artwork responsibility to him for ORAS. Personally, I'd be all for it. His work during generation V was stunning, and I'm sure he can't do wrong with working on the third generation. I can't wait to see Brendan and May remastered! :]

One would think that if there's not a lot of new art work Sugimori would do most of it as he'll have the free time. BW involved a lot of new Pokemon and places so of course they'll need to divide the labor. In all it depends on how much new artwork they're going to have for these games. If they were to give Ohmura all the work, or the majority it'll be as if they're replacing Sugimori...

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Oh, yeah! Tabitha and Shelly (and Courtney and Matt) should all get official artwork, like the Team Galactic Admins ("Commanders") did!

I really like Yusuke Ohmura's artwork; when I first saw the artwork for certain characters (Iris and Nate/Rosa, if I recall correctly), I got confused and thought that Ken Sugimori had changed his style... Only later did I learn that Yusuke Ohmura provided some character artwork for the Unova-based games.. Ohmura's artwork could really make Brendan/May feel more "redesigned"-ish.. XD Emerald artwork of Brendan/May seems to be very close to Ken Sugimori's current art style from what I can see, so having another illustrator tackle the Hoenn main characters' appearances might be interesting..
    Just some Ohmura info: Ohmura drew the Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Alder, Team Plasma Grunts, and rivals of BW--then in B2W2 drew all of the new human art we received. He also drew Prof. Sycamore for XY~

Interestingly enough, a character as minor as Kurt got official artwork all the way back in the original GSC, but for some reason team admins didn't start receiving their own artwork until DP, as you said. That reasoning alone tells me we will almost certainly get new human art. It doesn't seem right, giving art to the admins (and giving them a chance to be slightly redesigned) while not updating the others. Also, by giving them a chance to be redesigned, they open up new possibilities to make use of the new 3D models, instead of simpler designs using sprites like before.
    It would be awkward seeing the characters' old art show up on the battle screen, haha, so I hope they follow that example.

Indeed. Perhaps Ohmura's involvement is a sort of segue into Sugimori no longer providing human artwork or art in general for the Pokemon franchise. This would be a little disenchanting but if Ohmura keeps up his previous designs, I would be alright with it since they are rather lovely. I'd love a Unova-style Brendan, or any character for that matter, and am very excited for new art to surface.
    Sugimori is still drawing all of the Pokémon artwork, even if he is not the only one designing them, so I wouldn't worry too much about Sugimori leaving the games' art scene completely just yet.
    But I agree, regardless of who draws the humans this time around, it will be refreshing to see all our old favorites return with new art.

This scenario actually reminds me of HGSS, where all the trainers were redrawn by Sugimori, except for the Team Rocket executives, who were drawn by Takao Unno. It will be fun to see what happens with the characters of gen 3 now~

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I thought I'd revisit this topic--in the midst of all the new information being leaked, a small little gift was bestowed upon us...
    Spoiler:

So it's been confirmed that at least some Pokémon will be receiving updated art! Mudkip looks adorable as always <333

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I thought I'd revisit this topic--in the midst of all the new information being leaked, a small little gift was bestowed upon us...
    Spoiler:

So it's been confirmed that at least some Pokémon will be receiving updated art! Mudkip looks adorable as always <333

And they made Treecko cool as always.

This is being discussed elsewhere, but this is Brendan and May's new designs.

Spoiler:

It's official now, Brendan has a hat, not hair.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    And they made Treecko cool as always.

This is being discussed elsewhere, but this is Brendan and May's new designs.

Spoiler:

It's official now, Brendan has a hat, not hair.

It's been official, Sugimori tweeted about it quite some time ago~

I'm happy to see some Pokémon get new art, I'm hoping more do. As for character redesigns...I've shared my opinions on them in other threads, lol.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    It's been official, Sugimori tweeted about it quite some time ago~

I'm happy to see some Pokémon get new art, I'm hoping more do. As for character redesigns...I've shared my opinions on them in other threads, lol.

So that pretty much confirms that Sugimori did the art for them then? Can I just say then, as much as I like these designs, I'm not too big on the new art style. I do like his new art, some of it is excellent and vibrant(like this art for Xerneas and Yveltal here is beautiful ) but the old art style for characters is much better.

Back