• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Pokemon Type?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2009
    I was thinking they should have the light type. It could be strong against Dark types.

Heiheipig

- This is Madness? -
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    The types are pretty well-balanced already, they covered Psychic with Dark and added Steel. And honestly most of they types you're naming are really realistic (except maybe for a legendary). Most types have over 30(?) pokemon at least because they fit in that group and were not meant for any other type, and it's not like they could change the types suddenly. Imagine 20+ "time" pokemon, kind of overpowered.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • FYI @ "dark vs light" posters:
    the Dark type actually doesn't represent darkness like the opposite of light, but rather unfair and sneaky tactics etc.
    It's better translation from the japanese is Evil IIRC.
    So stop saying it needs a counterpart in a light type...

WARNING this is going to be a big post LOL

Considering the fact that there were no type changes (as a game mechanic) since GS 9 years ago, we can safely say there probably won't be any changes made in future generations about this.

But we can speculate what could be changed if it would be, which it won't.

IMO the existing types cover enough.
    I mean...seriously wood?? C'mon.

Technicaly the whole system looks well balanced.
    But aestheticaly I started to wonder why there were still types like bug in the III Generation, regardless of the existence of egg groups. Or why the flying type is still in.

Let me write about the flying type first.
    Because At least this type should sound fishy to everyone.
    It's not a real type! If it was, why is there absolutely no Pokemon with their primary type being Flying? Because it wouldn't make sense! It is an addition. If there is a poke with wings it'll be at least Normal/flying.... That's why flying elemental attacks are ridiculous. Peck? What's so flying about it? It's got to do with birds, but remember it's the flying type and not the bird type. Same for most other "flying" attacks. This could be fixed by either renaming it to BIRD or deleting it. What's it's purpose? To tell you what pokemon has no ground contact most of the time. Does it do it's job well?
    NO! That's the problem.
    If you create a Ground/Dragon pokemon, which has wings and should get an awesome ability like sanstream, you can't, because it has to get levitate. We all know that >FLY<gon flies by flapping wings - doesn't levitate through some psychic powers.
    Same goes for all our fellow winged bugs who get hit by Earthquakes all the time. Beedrill/Dustox/Venomoth gets hit by Magnitude while Butterfree and others don't.
    It makes limits where they don't need to exist.
    Like for example There can't be a winged starter which is dragon as secondary type, because it has to have the starter ability (overgrow not levitate) and would illogically get also hit by ground moves.
    I have a solution. Imagine the Info screen of a Pokemon in your party. Somewhere near the ability and Nature, there would be a square. If this square is colored, the pokemon cannot be hit by ground moves.

Next come the less odd bug and dragon types.
    Think about it. How is bug or dragon an elemental type?
    An water elemental attack is easy to imagine, but a dragon elemental attack?
    look at this:
    https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-dp/dragon.shtml
    Dragonbreath
    Dragon claw
    Draco meteor
    Dragon rush, ...rage, ...pulse, ...dance.
    and Outrage, twister + DP mascots singature moves.
    o__________O
    String shot
    pin missile
    bug buzz
    signal beam
    twinneedle
    defend order
    bug attacks are also rather boring excuses, but at least they don't have all bug in their names.
    If I hear of a BUG pokemon, it won't tell me "hey that means it has bug elemental powers!" but rather "it's represents a bug like living being from the real world or has bug features on it's body"
    That's where Egg groups come to mind. There is a bug egg group as there is a dragon egg group. Bug/Dragon type is like fish, plant or mammal type. o_o
    Would you like a mammal type? No, this just tells what kind of animal it represents which lets you know what different species pokes can breed. Even an ancient or fossil type would be more logical.

About ghost. Nothing is really wrong with it, beside it's name.
    Ghost pokemon aren't real ghosts of dead pokemon. They're just strange beings. With unexplainable body structures most of the time or made of some sort of gas etc.
    Why not just call it Abnormal or Strange? Or even ??? <_<

But with such changes there would be some type missing. The only type that would really make sense, but not with the current types available as it's mostly covered by flying. It would be like a sense-making flying type if created.
    Wind or Air.

All this would change alot of typings, which is probably one more reason why nothing like that is going to happen.
    But it would be awesome if you ask me.
    Flygon could be Ground/wind
    or for example some obvious choices: Altaria, Drifblim, Hoppip, Rayquaza etc...
    With the flying/bug/dragon types missing, alot of pokes would get their "hidden elemental powers" "officially", like for example Dragonite being an wind/water or wind/electric pokemon? Or Crobat line which has 2 working possibilities, poison/ghost or poison/dark o_o
    Many bug pokemon would probably become normal. Which if you think more about it, would actually be logical. I mean why would a catterpillar be a more special animal than a cat when neither has got any real elemental powers?

Less types would also mean easier balancing of the extremely changed type system Dx

Oh....So much about something that won't happen xD

Last edited:

bluesonic1

I like this place <3
    Years
  • Hi all, I hope this hasn't been done before :P

I'm going to do a quick analysis of all the feasible new types that could be featured in Pokemon.

1. Light - While you could argue that it is produced by Fire and Psychic and is most closely associated with Electric, you could say the same about fighting and normal, water and ice. There are a lot of moves (confuse ray, flash, solar beam, sunny day) that could be given the 'light type.' The types of attacks would be along the lines of 'laser beam,' 'microwave,' 'blinding light.' The main problem with having a light type would be that not many pokemon could be associated with it, unless you made a light-bulb pokemon or a star pokemon.

2. Sound - This one is probably more likely. Pokemon such as Jigglywigglypufftuff and WhismurLoudredExploud could already be classed as sound pokemon, and there are quite a lot of moves which fit into the category too. You could argue that all pokemon can make noise, and the problem would be deciding when it would be ineffective and super effective.

3. Space - Pokemon such as Clefairy, those moon rock and sun rock whose names I can't remember would be space types. It would not be the same as Psychic, as moves would be along the lines of 'lunar beam,' 'cosmic blast,' 'shooting stars' and 'vacuum.' It wouldn't be too hard to think of new pokemon either, for example, an ice-space type comet pokemon.

What do you think? Can you think of any other types?

I think that adding more types would just make the gameplay more complicated :-/ It would be nice but, I don't really want more types to fuss over ^_^ Plus if they create new types, they'll have to create new pokemon to fit in them.

Sesh

Subjectively Objective
    Years
  • With light, well it could bring some pretty sweet looknig pokemon i bet, just like dark has. Honestly i think the dark moves are really stupid for the most part and need a power up but anyways as for light... Pshychic, i constantly think of as light.. but then again it's not quite there, Fighting, is heroes and yeah heroes are light but light should be ya know not humanish in any way, if not light what about like Empty? weak to psychic as it would probably be an enigma and impervious to dark and fighting. I'm sure you're thinking dosen't normal kind of come to mind when that is said? Yes but no, normal is just eh. Empty would be more along the lines of impressive, heartless creatures. Deoxys comes to mind. You know regular pokemon with a similar look. And if not either of that if light can be put more into fire, we really don't have enough fire types and i think it would be nice to have a lot more. Although for the most part i'm a water fan :P.

(Woops sry for the wall of text o.o)

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Wouldn't Lunar sound better than Space?
    Anyway, I highly doubt they are going to create new types as Dark and Steel were created early, so it was easy to add them in. Honestly, I see no point in adding new types as there is already a decent amount :\

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    How are you so sure we are not still in the early life of the franchise. There could be 20 more years of pokemon to come. Now is the time to make changes.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Meh, I guess.....
    I was just thinking early as in the first 1-3 generations but your probably right XD
    Who knows how much longer Pokemon will go on for :S
    Anyway, new types would be awesome but then they'd have to edit other types and change/add Pokemon to accomodate these new types. Also, wouldn't it ruin some duel typed Pokemon already? E.G: Space for Lunatone when its already rock and psychic or light for volbeat when, if I'm correct, it's already bug and flying? :\

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    nope but probably. We would just have to adjust. The metagame drastically changes each gen anyway wth new moves and abilities added and such.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I still think adding new types would mess up some duel types....:\
    The only one I wouldn't mind being added is light, but that's because their is a dark type. :\
    Another thing is they'd have to create (or change) moves to fit that type, change/add Pokemon and whats super effective/not very effective against it...

Quite honestly, for now at least, I dont mind if they stick with the types they ahve at the moment, to not change anything radically or make anything confusing. :\

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Its time for change and thats what I have to say. If dark pokemon are always dark(in color) or mean I think there should be something to oppose that and Psychic doesnt fit.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Psychic is meant to already be Light. But, it is a possibility that it might happen, but then Espeon will have to change to Light. I think Wind is a good idea, I mean, what if there is a Pokemon that controls the Air, but doesn't Fly? Take Arcanine for example, his Japanese name means Windie, b/c that he runs so fast that he could outspeed the wind. Though, he cannot Fly, if he was also a Wind-type, then it would make more sense. It doesn't matter adding a type to the Pokemon, but if Nintendo has to delete a type, that is bad. Look at Magnemite and Magneton, they gained the Steel-type when Steel was made. So, it isn't bad to make a new type to add to older Pokemon, but deleting a type from the Pokemon could lead to a problem.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Espeon is the thing. maybe they could just Dual type Espeon with Light/Psychic.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I agree with you that Psychic doesn't work as a opposite of dark, however I couldn't think of many reasons why a new type should be added. Personally, I find 17 types to be enough. :\ I guess a Light type wouldn't be bad, nor would wind however, not many Pokemon, in my opinion, fit the light type at the moment so in the next generation they'd have to add loads of Light types, then another type won't have as much (fire types, for instance. there are not many of them. :\) Honestly, I think the types are alright as they are. :\ Also, if they add light or wind, then they'd most likely add other types like gas or wind, making the metagame seem more confusing. :\

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Keep in mind that there is always room for improvement though. Also, 17 is odd. Virus/Digital is a good one too. Magic too but that make fit Light but in first gen, Psychic was centered around Magic a bit.

Sesh

Subjectively Objective
    Years
  • Hm o.o maybe i'm jsut a freak but i can pretty much call to mind a weakness of any pokemon given to me o.o, it's not really that confusing.. to me at least ^^". But wind does sound kind of good.. it would certainly make it harder for new players though, who probably have a lot more trouble catching up with the idea that weaknesses even exist.

Plus i also think it's pretty likely they will add light.. Think about it, they have already exhausted the possibilities on Earth with the legendaries of time and space, and a god legendary, platinuim will delve slightly into the afterlife but probably not much, so there you have it a war between light and dark in the afterlife. Other than that some possible more easily findable evidence of it being possible is in the 1st gen games Psychic was thought of as light, invincible for the most part. So then there was Ghosts, the darkness to beat them, then next gen comes darkness, now what happened to Ghosts? Now they all have joined a weakness and strength triangle, light would certainly even it out and open a LOT of doors for the game creators.

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • It's not that I wouldn't like any new types, but if they make two in the next generation, they will most likely add more until there are like, lets say, 24 types. You then have to change all the weaknesses and resistances to the pokemon with the times, edit Pokemon to meet up with the specification for these types and egg groups to. Personally, if they add 1 or two, that would be fine. However, if they add more in the next generation, I just think they'll add loads more :\

Sesh

Subjectively Objective
    Years
  • I'm sure they would, as long as the games enjoyable, i have no problem keeping up with weaknesses and strengths. And idk i don't care wehn they do it if at all, but i'm just saying.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I wouldnt mind adjusting either. I just dont want to see a bunch of robotic pokemon, Steel/Digital in the future! lol.

Back