• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Pokemon Type?

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I'm not going to into the metagame thing because I'm not that knowledgeable about it, but I can manage in battles with what I know. I'll probably immerse myself in it later on, but not right now. Anyway, when Nintendo includes a Dark-type and a Shadow-type, they're just asking for a Light-type (considering the obvious Light/Dark parallel has existed for millenia). Plus, shadows and darkness automatically allude to light, since they are simply either the absence of or reduced amounts of light, as light is usually always present in some form.

What I hoping for, though, is that Nintendo adds in a new, innovative gameplay mechanic that would shift the metagame were it not for the addition of a new Light-type. If they could pull that off while still balancing the metagame, that would be awesome. And knowing Nintendo, they probably can devise a way somehow, seeing as they've managed to innovate the Pokemon games even through the 4th Generation. Here's hoping for a future, balanced Light-type! :D :D :D

Btw, good arguments, Cherii.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    I was going to say that some sort of manmade type would be cool, like digital or virus, but there's a couple issues. One is that it sounds awfully farfetched compared to the actual idea of pokemon (being more natural, compared to that of Digimon, but I know not the slightest thing about Digimon xD). I just don't like the sounds of a new type. Anything that fits into light would fit into nintendo's criteria of psychic (I realize they are two totally different things, but look at psybeam). I don't support the ideas for a new type, but it certainly wouldn't be bad.

Dinosaur type FTW!

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    I'm not going to into the metagame thing because I'm not that knowledgeable about it, but I can manage in battles with what I know. I'll probably immerse myself in it later on, but not right now. Anyway, when Nintendo includes a Dark-type and a Shadow-type, they're just asking for a Light-type (considering the obvious Light/Dark parallel has existed for millenia). Plus, shadows and darkness automatically allude to light, since they are simply either the absence of or reduced amounts of light, as light is usually always present in some form.

What I hoping for, though, is that Nintendo adds in a new, innovative gameplay mechanic that would shift the metagame were it not for the addition of a new Light-type. If they could pull that off while still balancing the metagame, that would be awesome. And knowing Nintendo, they probably can devise a way somehow, seeing as they've managed to innovate the Pokemon games even through the 4th Generation. Here's hoping for a future, balanced Light-type! :D :D :D

Btw, good arguments, Cherii.

Someone's read the whole thread woo! *High Five!* I don't blame people for not reading inner pages but when people make the exact same suggestion as the poster two posts up from them, that gets really frustrating.

Well the Light type continues to gain popularity, understandable as its the only real viable addition that I can see, though there was a time when I thought it was a ridiculous idea. Don't get me wrong though I am still very much against it.

What would be super effective on light exactly. Well you can argue that light would be super effective on dark, but one could also argue that Dark should be super effective on light. Alot of people see it as a good vs. evil thing but when it comes down to it, light is a thing. When there's a lack of light, you have darkness and vice-versa.

So what exactly would happen. It'd probabley have no effect on grass types if you start thinking of sources of light. At the same time, what would it's effect be on Steel types, Light reflects off of polished objects like steel, though it also reflects off of ground, i.e. the moon, it's just not as obvious. I really can't see what it's job as a typing would be besides a "Dark type counter" which isn't really balancing the metagame, since that was the main reason behind the additions of the dark and steel type. Heck the two most centralized types in the game are Dragon and Steel (Water would probabley be number 3 but they have numbers) and Steel is really there as a Dragon counter (among other things of course.)
    This is why I strongly support Ice types becoming resistant to Dragon type attacks.

On a finishing note about the light note, the ideas grown on me I'll admit, but I don't see a logical (lack of better word) way for it to be implemented.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    My opinion of the Dark and Light relationship is that is could be a Yin & Yang relationship, both being weak to the other.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    Yeah that seems to make the most sense to me too, but to be fully added to the type chart, it has to have restinces, weaknesses, types that it is strong against and weak against. If to the point of total ineffectiveness.

Lucent

✿ border of life
    Years
    There's only one type I would like to see. Fine. Two.

1. Shadow. Yes, I know there were "Shadow Pokemon" in Orre, and that's precisely why I want an actual type. However, unlike the Shadow Pokemon of Orre, this Shadow Pokemon type would be weak against Dark, itself (like Ghost and Dragon), and Light (will be mentioned below). But I would really like a type like this.

Oh, and Shadow would be good against Ghost, Psychic, and itself.

2. Light. We have an Electric type. And if Shadow were to be something similar to Dark, why not have Light be something similar to Electric? Only thing is, it would be weak against Ghost, Dark, and Shadow.

And it would be good against Shadow, Ghost, and Dark. Quite a peculiar type, being weak but strong against the same three types.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Umm, shadow(not as in XD and Col) would be more like ghost and all light doesnt come from electricity.

Designation_Leader

I iz ubsessed wit teh kittehz!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2010
    This is quite interesting.

Many, many moons ago I argued with a few friends of mine on the introduction of a new Pokemon Type. This is THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE TYPE MATCHUP CHART EVUR!!! It was created on Serebii and it shows all of the current Pokemon typing and matchings known.

https://www.serebii.net/games/type.shtml

I skimmed over it, and, believe it or not, Light actually seems like a reasonable introduction. Here's why:

Darkness is the absence of light. Light overpowers darkness, but darkness shrouds the light (think of a black hole). Light and Dark would be super-effective against one another (much like Dragon and Ghost are super-effective against theirselves).

If you didn't know this, the people that made Pokemon (who made it? Really? Nintendo? Game Freak? Who?) actually take science and physics into the matter. My friend once put it into a very detailed perspective one time using the Fighting-Psychic-Dark matchup. Here it is:

Spoiler:

Now on the other hand, a Digital or Virus-Type Pokemon could be plausible. A list of Pokemon that could be Virus- or Digital-type would be:

-Porygon (Normal/Digital)
    -Porygon2 (Normal/Digital)
    -Porygon-Z (Normal/Virus)
    -Rotom (Electric/Virus)
    -Deoxys (Psychic/Virus)

How would these types match up? Digital and Virus beat each other: Digital beats Virus and vice-versa (the same way that a virus attacks an old computer program, but an update trumps the virus). Each type would receive normal 1x damage from other attacks. The game is balanced.

In all, Light is plausible, but a Virus or Digital type seems more reasonable.

I'm also still advocating that Ice be resistant to Dragon (not entirely), Gyarados made a Water/Dragon (seriously; FLYING!!!! THERE ARE NO WINGS!!!! WHAT THE HECK!!!!), and the introduction of a Smeargle evolution (that'd be cool...)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Eh, I'm REALLY doubtful of the adding of new types. But as there's a thread from before that I posted in, I'll just use those... -_-
    Basically, there is no giant imbalance of doom evident in the 4th generation akin to the one that was clearly evident in R/B/Y. Psychic Pokemon ran rampent completely amongst other problems, hence why they added the two new types. Now there is no need for it - some imbalence but hardly anything drastic, and new types could disbalence it anyway.

Plus, adding new types may bring determental affects. If you happen to know how Hidden Power works for the 3rd/4th gen, than you'd know that the type of Hidden Power you get (and the power) depends on your Pokemon IVs. If suddenly new types were added in, a reinvention of the IV system would have to be implemented (unless they were really clever about it). And that could stop Pokemon being able to be traded to (possible) 5th gen games. That was why (at least partly) you can't trade from the 2nd to 3rd gen - the IVs changed dramatically.

And I'd like to be able to trade between 4th/5th gen games if they come out (I think there would be a 5th gen though), personally. -_-
    Like above: what's to say that new types wouldn't make it worse? Not only would new types be added in a new gen, but more than likely new Pokemon and abilities and what-not - already changes to the 'metagame'. New types may just throw it out of whack again, particularly when there is nothing that bad that needs fixing. Any system will have inbalences in it, but the current one is pretty stable.

And new types would result in the need for changes to other things as well, such as IVs. That in itself is a drastic change, and would have 'negative' side-effects. A bit much...

AND (this was in response to ideas on the 'Digital/Ancient' type in another thread):
    That however would result in type changes to several Pokemon as you said, such as Porygon, and Mamowsine. That may result in problems... and disagreements (plus would screw the heck out of previous canon). The additions of Dark-type Pokemon didn't change any of the 1st gen Pokemon and Steel only affected the Magnemite line - but now even more changes would occur, which would be... well, odd to say the least, in that it would then appear that these Pokemon were NEVER of that type, but really another type altogether.

Plus there's the problem with the Pokemon such as Mamoswine which already have a double typing (in this case, ice/ground). What happens then - losing one of those typings doesn't really work for aforementioned reasons, and they won't be giving Pokemon three typings now either, IMHO.

Then there are the other reasons previously mentioned... such as throwing the playing field out of balence rather than 'fixing it' (it's pretty much ok atm now, unlike the 1st gen situation), etc, etc.

Not bad thinking with them though, mind - but not that viable if you look at the nitty-gritty. =/
    What would you do if you added a type like that that would change old Pokemon's typing, especially for those with due typings already? Make a max of three? That would surely change the metagame too much, and complicate things. Replace one of the original typing? Well, that screws with canon then regarding what that Pokemon was, and to say that Mamoswine isn't a ground or an ice-type, or that Aerodactyal was not a rock or a flying-typed Pokemon is... well, dumb, tbh. =/

Also, some of these typings are a bit...err. The wind type? One already has the flying type. Mostly use for bird-like Pokemon, but wind-attacks like Gust, and Whirlwind, and so forth have been classed in it. Driftloon which floats in the wind comes under Ghost/Flying. (And thus you can apply the previous point to him too).

Wood type - grass already exists - basically a different name, really.

Digital - err, I don't see it TBH. Is there much of a point for it? Same for Virus - for me, they don't really fit in. =/

And Light. Well, one can argue that Psychic is the 'Light' side to the Dark Pokemon - after all, moves like Morning Sun, and so forth bear similarites. But why is there a need for it? Nintendo didn't seem to think so, when they made the dark type - and not for 3 generations, and about a decade. Don't see them changing such things then, especially when there is no actual reason for them other than that it might tie in nicely, and that some fans won't like it. If it wrecks the battle system, then that far outweighs the pros, and that would be their priority.

Its time for change and thats what I have to say. If dark pokemon are always dark(in color) or mean I think there should be something to oppose that and Psychic doesnt fit.
    Why is it time for change, though, from Nintendo's point of view? In their mind, there was an inbalence in the 1st gen involving Psychic types (and other game mechanics regarding moves) as well, so they changed it by adding new types. And 3 gens later, they have seen no need to do anything as drastic as to add more types, as there was no need to. If they wanted to have an 'opposite' to Dark type Pokemon, they could have doen that in the first place, or done it earlier. But as the game was balenced more or less - and still is, there is no need for change, really.

Plus Nintendo don't change things that much if there's no need. Heck, look at the game formula in terms of gyms and beating the Champion and a criminal Team, and how long they've continued with that for their main best-sellers.
    1. Shadow. Yes, I know there were "Shadow Pokemon" in Orre, and that's precisely why I want an actual type. However, unlike the Shadow Pokemon of Orre, this Shadow Pokemon type would be weak against Dark, itself (like Ghost and Dragon), and Light (will be mentioned below). But I would really like a type like this.
    Again - adding a new type which is called the same thing as a different type goes against canon established before - although arguably by a different game company on a different system, they used the very same game mechanics and all. Plus, given that moves like Shadow Ball, Shadow Punch, etc come under the ghost type, then changing them too (and leavingt he ghost type with next-to-no moves) is a big problem to overcome. Plus all the other stuff.

So my views and many points on why there will be more than likely no new types. Sorry to be a stick-in-the-mud and all, but feasibly and logically, it's...well, it isn't really, and the danger of messing up the system is something Nintendo probably won't want to risk.

Lucent

✿ border of life
    Years
    But, remember how Bite used to be a Normal type move? It was changed. So who says moves like Shadow Force and whatnot can't be changed? (OK, Shadow Force was a bad example since it can only be learned by Giratina naturally)

And Shadow may also be similar to Ghost, but I find it right in the middle of Ghost and Dark. As for Light, true, not all light comes from electricity (the sun isn't electric, after all) >.> It was just an example.

I dunno. Adding more types means more Eeveelutions probably.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    But, remember how Bite used to be a Normal type move? It was changed. So who says moves like Shadow Force and whatnot can't be changed? (OK, Shadow Force was a bad example since it can only be learned by Giratina naturally)

And Shadow may also be similar to Ghost, but I find it right in the middle of Ghost and Dark. As for Light, true, not all light comes from electricity (the sun isn't electric, after all) >.> It was just an example.

I dunno. Adding more types means more Eeveelutions probably.

Bite was a mere move, rather than a new type - and with the way IVs are done, a new type more than likely means a full revamp of that system. Which has negative effects as well. -_- Chnaging the typing of Bite was in the end really minor, and done to provide an extra dark-type move (even then they were limited in number).

Also then, the only Pokemon affected by new types? Magnemite. Now, many, many more would be affected, and over a far longer history as well of those Pokemon being established as having the typing they currently have.

Shadow still has, in game canon, been established as a type of Pokemon who have been 'mistreated' or had the 'door to their heart closed' by Cipher as well. Not really similar to Ghost in the slightest... all the moves were deemed super-effective on non-shadow Pokemon in Pokemon XD and came about from the Pokemon's emotions being out of wack and them being angry, etc (shown in the 'statuses' Hyper State and Reverse State in Colo/XD respectively. Plus I'd say that Ghost/Dark types somewhat overlap already - they're not all that different, tbh. (And look at Sableye and Spiritomb).

As for Eeveelutions, well, as awesome as they may be, we've still got several more types for them. Some current ones mightn't work that well as well... although the game designers are probably capable anyway of designing them, I daresay. And the points regard IVs and set Pokemon typings and so forth still stand at. =P

It COULD happen (anything can, really), but I really doubt it.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    Excellent posts bobandbill, i never came to think of the IV issue, and 31 max IV's is enough, thats already equal to the amount of points as 124 EV's, nearly half of the stat maximum. Anymore and it would become frustrating to those who arn't expert breeders.

Though I do have to comment on one thing, there is an inbalance, the only way to solve it. A viable (preferably with the Scrappy ability) Rapid Spin, but that has little to do with types so...=?

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yeah, IVs could be a problem. Im not sure if this could work but Maybe they could add an ineffective number when it comes to stats(32) working as 31 and have the hidden power for new types be a combination with it.

Artyte

Bin- No Pokemon Prejudice
    Years
    How would a new type be beneficial to the later pokemon franchise and timelines?

Back