• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Pokemon Type?

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Oh great, this light shiz again. :<
    New fan-made types are usually pointless. Light is covered by Psychic (and to some extent Normal), Sound is entirely covered by Normal, and Space is plain ridiculous. The Normal type exists as a universal catch-all, in order to avoid debates such as this as to new types. Nintendo acknowledged that they may have missed a few ideas with the introduction of the Steel- and Dark-types, but the fact that no new types have been introduced in the nine years after the release of Gold and Silver is testament to the coverage of the existing types.
    Psychic and Normal definitely do NOT cover the Light Type. How on earth does a normal object with no special powers whatsoever create light? And Psychic may give you the environment of thinking light and other supernatural / eerie elements, but once you get into the thought of it, Psychic and Light are definitely not at all related. I mean, I'll even go through definitions of it.

Psychic
    1. of or pertaining to the human soul or mind; mental
    Psychology. pertaining to or noting mental phenomena.
    outside of natural or scientific knowledge; spiritual.
    of or pertaining to some apparently nonphysical force or agency: psychic research; psychic phenomena.
    sensitive to influences or forces of a nonphysical or supernatural nature.

According to Dictionary.com of course.

Do any of the above mentioned have anything to do with Light? I think not. Does light pertain to the human soul or mind? Does light pertain to the mental phenomena? Ask yourselves these questions. You don't emit a light if you can read someone's mind. It's more of how the games and anime portray the ability of Psychic power to viewers; the audience can actually see the telekinetic power as some sort of abstract light beam or something. Applied to the real world, it isn't anything like that. More of an invisible form of energy, I suppose; no light emitted at all. :3

As far as I see, Light pertains to an energy form emitted from certain elements such as fire or electricity. It doesn't have to be taken this literally, I mean it can also apply to some holy beings and higher beings and such. What I'm trying to say is that Light, Psychic, and Normal have little to no relationship at all with each other.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm against the introduction of the light type for metagame reasons and stuff. As far as the concept itself goes, I'm quite fine with the idea.

I always thought of one more type: Air. I know Flying acts like that, but Air is different, once that is a type, I cannot think of anymore...
    I don't see much difference at all. XD; Flying was inclusive to not only Pokemon that can fly, but to Pokemon with special aerial abilities too.

Wood. Very Obvious.
    Pokemon that could be Part if not all wood type:
    Sudowoodo (? How can it be a rock type ?)
    Exeggutor (WHAT? THERE IS A TREE ISNT THERE?)
    Shiftry. (Obviously.)
    Tropious (To obvious.)
    Torterra (Leaves room)
    Snover
    Leafeon
    Mamoswine.
    Wood definitely falls under the Grass category. Grass covers the whole area of plants itself, including wood.

Sudowoodo is already said to be unrelated to plants at all. If it was in fact a "wood" Pokemon, it wouldn't be scared of water. Many believe that Sudowoodo is based on petrified wood, or wood that has been fossilized over time. Sudowoodo's name also comes from Pseudo (meaning false) and wood. "False Wood", meaning it isn't wood at all.

Tropius is a dinosaur. You think it's a wooden dinosaur or something? XD; -shot-

How on earth is Leafeon related to wood besides the plant connection? It shows no relation to wood based on it's appearance; only a dog-like body structure with leaves for different body parts.

Good lord, Mamoswine? XD; Mamoswine is an extinct wooly mammoth that lived during the Ice Age. How on earth is that thing a tree? XD

my types that I can think of is

TYPES:
    Dirt
    stone
    metal
    wind
    glass

Thats all I can think of at the moment.
    Dirt: Probably the exact thing as ground. Ground is also referred to the earth type on occasion.

Stone: Same thing as rock.

Metal: Same thing as steel. :x

Wind: See previous comment; covered by flying.

Glass: Because of it's crystalline appearance, it can be said to covered by Ice. However, it is scientifically covered by ground. Glass is made out of sand, and sand comes from the ground. I'm not to positive about having a Pokemon type being named after a man-made element either.

Also, until some presents a decent idea for new types we don't need them. Light doesn't count. We have Fighting as a good guy counter to Dark. Psychic has been mention earlier as well. Steel is shiny. Electricity fits the Light description best and Normal's about as effective as it'd be. Come to think of it, the Sun's another source of light and thats covered by Poison and Fire.
    I don't think that would be a legit argument at all. Light is described as a form of energy. What it comes from does not have anything to do with this. If that's the point you're trying to bring up, then I guess you're pretty much saying that the Ice type is redundant because Water covers all forms of H2O.

Besides, there are a perfectly good amount of objects that do not use electricity or fire to emit a form of light. Bioluminescence? A perfectly good chemical that does not use electricity or fire to emit light; it gives off its own glow. How about neon lights, eh? Rainbows?

lol but they are not really the same and I thought of another how about plasma, tell you the truth I really don't know what that is lol I just heard it before in school.
    Plasma would be covered by electricity most indefinitely. In case you're referring to the plasma found in blood, that concept is way too narrow to be made into a Pokemon type. Plus, no one would want a blood type in a kids thingymabobber.

Another type?
    Aura
    Lucario and Riolu would be good contendors
    With those two Pokemon being the only real Pokemon related to aura itself, the concept is way too narrow to be made into a type.

What about... DREAM? Maybe for a new legendary
    While that sounds all neat and mysterious and all, there would be little room for ideas and concepts. It's kind of narrow if you ask me. I'm not sure how to explain. Dream isn't covered by Nightmare and other Sleep moves already? :B

----------------------

Well, my opinion is that we shouldn't have a new type unless the metagame becomes severely unbalanced like before GSC where Psychic dominated the metagame. While some ideas for new types sound amazingly cool (specifically light and void), I do not think we should implant new types into the game unless the game truly has a reason besides "the fans think it's a cool idea!". Yes, some ideas do sound really cool, but who knows what the new types will do to the metagame? The metagame is already messy enough as it is now.

Don't fix something that isn't broken, y'know? :D

Edit: /life

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    I don't think that would be a legit argument at all. Light is described as a form of energy. What it comes from does not have anything to do with this. If that's the point you're trying to bring up, then I guess you're pretty much saying that the Ice type is redundant because Water covers all forms of H2O.

No I was trying to say that many forms of 'Light' can be covered by other types or typings. There's no two types that I can think of at the moment that would effectively create Ice. The things I listed were just the most common arguments I hear. I think the rest of my comment you didn't quote still bars some truth.

Besides, there are a perfectly good amount of objects that do not use electricity or fire to emit a form of light. Bioluminescence? A perfectly good chemical that does not use electricity or fire to emit light; it gives off its own glow. How about neon lights, eh? Rainbows?

Ya, you've pretty much got me here, but Raibows and Neon Lights I believe can still be argued to fit under other typings. I didn't pay much attention in Science, mainly cause it was in French but Poison can partially cover Neon Lights can't it. I don't know I can't debate this with you cause I'm under knowledged on the subject.

Well, my opinion is that we shouldn't have a new type unless the metagame becomes severely unbalanced like before GSC where Psychic dominated the metagame. While some ideas for new types sound amazingly cool (specifically light and void), I do not think we should implant new types into the game unless the game truly has a reason besides "the fans think it's a cool idea!". Yes, some ideas do sound really cool, but who knows what the new types will do to the metagame? The metagame is already messy enough as it is now.

Don't fix something that isn't broken, y'know? :D

Edit: /life

As a competitive battler, the metagame balance is the main reason why I argue against a light type, so I definately agree with you here.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Did you really think a "New Pokemon type" thread hasn't been done before? Or better yet, done to death. ?_?

As of now, the metagame is balanced, type-wise at least. No type remains overly dominant (Dragon is the closest thing to an alpha typing, and that dies to that highly present Ice typing that is on literally every single team). Steels are also the strongest defensively, and they have the added benefit of resisting Dragon. The Pokemon itself may not be as balanced, but there the Suspect testing for a reason ya know.

Also, no offense, but the Light typing sounds really weird. I don't know what kind of move "laser beam" or "microwave" is. Light is already similar to Electric and Psychic, so I wouldn't say that it's needed. I don't like Sound or Space either, again, the whole concept is really similar to the ironically overlooked Psychic type :l

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Ya, you've pretty much got me here, but Raibows and Neon Lights I believe can still be argued to fit under other typings. I didn't pay much attention in Science, mainly cause it was in French but Poison can partially cover Neon Lights can't it. I don't know I can't debate this with you cause I'm under knowledged on the subject.
    This pretty much leads back to my other comments on other posts. I already stated that it didn't matter a whole lot where the light comes from. Light is a type of energy and that's that. It has many different sources. Hey! Fire has a lot of sources too, doesn't it? Electricity has a lot of different sources, doesn't it? But yeah.

By the way, I don't know crap about neon lights. I just know that they glow. :B But I think I've made my point anyways. XD

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2014
    Q: You know what they would need?
    A: an Amorphous or Liquid type

See, if a pkmn cannot keep a constant shape or density, then how would you expect it to take on an element? We know that pkmn can change elements, case in point Castform. Different conditions cause it to change its body composition and, thus, its type. Well, what if even the slightest disturbance to its being had that same effect on it? Its body would be in a constant motion; therefore, it would not be able to keep a single element intact longer than a fraction of a second. Thus, we have an Un-type or Amorphous/Liquid type.

Is it practical? Of course not...they would all look like they're some monster from Ben-10 or something. There is not a whole lot of room for differentiation, but I just thought of this now and thought it was a little different...

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Q: You know what they would need?
    A: an Amorphous or Liquid type

See, if a pkmn cannot keep a constant shape or density, then how would you expect it to take on an element? We know that pkmn can change elements, case in point Castform. Different conditions cause it to change its body composition and, thus, its type. Well, what if even the slightest disturbance to its being had that same effect on it? Its body would be in a constant motion; therefore, it would not be able to keep a single element intact longer than a fraction of a second. Thus, we have an Un-type or Amorphous/Liquid type.

Is it practical? Of course not...they would all look like they're some monster from Ben-10 or something. There is not a whole lot of room for differentiation, but I just thought of this now and thought it was a little different...
    Kind of a narrow concept here. How would they turn the Amorphous type into an attack? Liquid is Water. But an Amorphous attack seems kind of awkward if you ask me. They have an Amorphous egg group already too.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Well, I agree that it's a bad idea. The type really doesn't appear to have a weakness or a definate strength. Maybe we should just keep the types we have now and end it at that.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2014
    Kind of a narrow concept here. How would they turn the Amorphous type into an attack? Liquid is Water. But an Amorphous attack seems kind of awkward if you ask me. They have an Amorphous egg group already too.
    Not exactly amorphous as in a Muk, but more like...a Castform that is changing its forme fifteen times a second. The types would...cancel out or something and make the Amorphous type desirable due to a wide array of abilities with the major downside being loss of STAB because they cannot maintain a single type. There wouldn't be an Amorphous-typed move or something...and I'm not saying it's a usable idea, but it is different.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    Did As of now, the metagame is balanced, type-wise at least. No type remains overly dominant

When the game was first releashed, people somehow managed to figure it out, with adding only one more type, I would of thought it'd be easier to do, but then again, I don't play competitive battling much

maplelame

Chemistry final until 24th
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2010
    i have always wonder why there was no light type if this is a dark type. and i have always considered sound to be normal types. its too bad that the creators wont add new types until they release a new hand held system and new game format, not the DSi. cause new types would kill backwards compatibility or at least make it slow. the DSi has no room for GBA and a new sytem would have to incorporate both ds cards and a new format of games to have the pal park thing.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
    I think they have created a perfectly fine system for typing, and it shouldn't be tampered with any further. 17 types is quite enough. I'd rather not have more move types/Pokemon types changed, and I would rather not have to memorize even more weaknesses and strengths.

How about just putting together new type combinations and calling it good?

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Someone said Mamoswine would be wood type, that is rather, ... misinformed. *for lack of an appropriate word*

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    the only type I see we might need really is a light type...but other than that I don't see anything much else is needed...and I refuse to except that psychic is a light type because darkness should never prevail over light!

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    Wood. Very Obvious.
    Pokemon that could be Part if not all wood type:
    Sudowoodo (? How can it be a rock type ?)
    Exeggutor (WHAT? THERE IS A TREE ISNT THERE?)
    Shiftry. (Obviously.)
    Tropious (To obvious.)
    Torterra (Leaves room)
    Snover
    Leafeon
    Mamoswine.

How are Leafeon and Mamoswine even related to wood?
    Leafeon is a walking salad and Mamoswine is a
    cross between a mammoth, boar, and a baboon.

Last edited:

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    the only type I see we might need really is a light type...but other than that I don't see anything much else is needed...and I refuse to except that psychic is a light type because darkness should never prevail over light!

All I can suggest is reading this thread in whole, you'll find arguments for and against, but yea Psychic is klind of a weak comparison. I always just figured Fighting was the good guy counter. And what would happen if we got a Dark/Light type?

Back