• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Shinies?

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
Years
  • Hello, I have stopped playing TCG for awhile now, but I still collect some cards. My favorite cards to collect are the shining pokemon. I've been looking through the X and Y sets and noticed that there aren't really "shining pokemon" cards, just "gold border" cards. Are those replacing the "Shining Pokemon" cards?

Years
  • I haven't bought the cards for a long time until Flashfire came out, by shining pokemon do you mean the holographic cards? Or the reverse holos that have the whole card shiny? If that's what you mean, they still have those.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • The XY sets don't have any Shining/Alternate-Color Pokémon, but they may release some later. The last set to have Shining/Alternate-Color Pokémon was Plasma Blast (the next-to-last English BW set). In terms of rarity, however, I think the gold border cards are the current equivalent to Shining/Alternate-Color Pokémon.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The new gold bordered cards are indeed the closest thing we have in XY sets so far that is of comparable rarity, what with them being secret rares and all.

We may still yet see alternate color Pokemon cards, but I wouldn't hold out just for them if you're wanting to get back into collecting anyway. They could be anywhere from the next set to a few years out.

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
    Years
  • @Pippitha: sorry to respond late, but I did me the Shining/Alternate color pokemon. I never understood people calling the reverse holo cards "shiny pokemon" cards because it causes confusion.

@KKN & donavannj: thanks for letting me know. I don't see a point in making the "gold border" because it seems very lazy, in my opinion. Although, I saw that they have made a golden Reshiram card where the whole card is gold, and thought that was pretty cool.

Anyways, I hope they start producing more "alternate color pokemon" cards soon. I think those are more cooler than the "golden border" and even "full art" cards.

Back