• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
  • I do not believe Pikachu will become fairy type. Pikachu has been a mascot of the series ever since, not to mention a textbook example of a classic electric type, and making a huge change to it seems unlikely.

Yes, it would be completely useful competitively, but I just don't see every Fairy (Egg Group) member becoming fairies. I think the fact that the trailer debutting fairies showcased Gardevoir--who was never in the Fairy (Egg Group)--is Gamefreak's way of hinting to us that fairies will not be as restricted to the current egg group as we think

I do find it very probable that Pikachu will learn fairy type moves.

THIS. I doubt they'd really be so radical as to change the mascot as radically as to add a new type to it. That said it will definitely learn some fairy moves. As I'm going to assume tons of non-fairy types will..

Being honest I'd kinda have liked GF to rename Normal to Fairy rather than add a new type... but that's just me :)

I just saw this on Pokememes:

hA140E3E2

What I'm focusing on is where it says Fairy types are strong against Dark types...

Can anyone use dem mad math skillz or otherwise to confirm this?

I was hoping that dark would be strong against Fairy.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    THIS. I doubt they'd really be so radical as to change the mascot as radically as to add a new type to it. That said it will definitely learn some fairy moves. As I'm going to assume tons of non-fairy types will..

Being honest I'd kinda have liked GF to rename Normal to Fairy rather than add a new type... but that's just me :)

I just saw this on Pokememes:

hA140E3E2

What I'm focusing on is where it says Fairy types are strong against Dark types...

Can anyone use dem mad math skillz or otherwise to confirm this?

I was hoping that dark would be strong against Fairy.

I've done the math like four times in this thread. Two major issues with x4 damage Fairy Wind does not deal 96 damage with a 60 BP attack. It also has to be as low as level 25 to get close to doing 96 damage and thats with a base power of 65.

I'll see if I can access the calculator from my phone, but I remember hitting 100 damage a few times when I first started doing the damage calculations.

Everytime I've run x4 damage, I can't get96 and 100 in the same BP or level setting. This and the fact that mock ups are almost always shown near same level, especially with an underleveled hydreigon in player possession. The numbers don't seem to add up.

Last edited:

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • Okay fair enough. That makes me slightly more relieved. I'm still kinda hoping Dark is strong against Fairy.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Okay fair enough. That makes me slightly more relieved. I'm still kinda hoping Dark is strong against Fairy.

We're not exactly out of the woods, while I can't get his numbers on the calculator without dropping Gardevoir's level to half of Hydreigon to deal x4 damage, I never said his math was wrong. Only a few things go against what he says and I'm still testing the Calculator to see what damage can be done.

I'll compile a full list of damage ranges when I get home from work to get a large scale comparison. With a few more examples maybe we'll see what we missed if anything at all.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I know I have said it before, but let me explain a bit this time. (Or at least what I can explain.)

I think Fairy will be strong against Dark as well as Dragon. Don't know why.

I think Fairy will be weak to at least Poison, due to fairies mainly being water and forest deities and what not. Therefore, one of the main "evils" of forest and water is Pollution and Poison. Another possible weakness is ghost, but there is nothing really to back this up with other then Ghost pokemon are only strong against other ghost types and dark types. Dark and Ghost could change positions.

Years
  • Yes, but it the fairy attack could also be lower, because you have not included the Sp attack of gardevoir and the sp defence of hdragon. This means that it could be se to both dragon and dark.

Years
  • I do not believe Pikachu will become fairy type. Pikachu has been a mascot of the series ever since, not to mention a textbook example of a classic electric type, and making a huge change to it seems unlikely.

Yes, it would be completely useful competitively, but I just don't see every Fairy (Egg Group) member becoming fairies. I think the fact that the trailer debutting fairies showcased Gardevoir--who was never in the Fairy (Egg Group)--is Gamefreak's way of hinting to us that fairies will not be as restricted to the current egg group as we think

I do find it very probable that Pikachu will learn fairy type moves.
    While I agree, and don't think Pikachu will be given a second typing, I think it would be a great way for GF to show people it's still innovative if it did. They'd surprise us, and I think they need to give us more surprises. The Fairy-type itself it pretty big, but changing their mascot even slightly would be something even bigger.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Yes, but it the fairy attack could also be lower, because you have not included the Sp attack of gardevoir and the sp defence of hdragon. This means that it could be se to both dragon and dark.

My calculations require gardevoir's 125 sp atk and hydreigon's 90 sp def. which may be why my numbers are so different. I'm about to start compiling my list.

EDIT:

Going to use Bulbapedia's example since its written in a way I can read and it was the first thing I could get my hands on.
    DamageCalc.png
    ModifierCalc.png

Assuming Level is 50 for both.

x4:
    Damage=(((2x50+10)/250)x(125/90)x60+2)xModifier(5.10,6)
    (5.10,6)=Modifier=1.5x4x1x1x(0.85;1.00)

Damage = ((110/250)x1.3888888x60+2)x(5.10,6)
    Damage = (.44x1.3888888888x60+2)x(5.10,6)
    Damage = (.6111111x60+2)x(5.10,6)
    Damage = 38.6666666666666(5.10,6)
    197.2, 232

x2:Damage=(((2x50+10)/250)+(125/90)x60+2)xModifier(2.55,3)
    (2.55,3)=Modifier=1.5x2x1x1x(0.85;1.00)

(98,116)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Try 117 sp attack and 85 sp defence those are the lowest possiable stats.

The videos actually do unaffected stats. No IVs and no EVs. Its the base and that's it.

From what I can tell, initially I was wrong. Now that I get to sit and do the math myself rather than using the calculators presented on Smogon. It is true that you cannot deal 100 points of damage, though as I had said, that Sylveon had to be a low level, at least half that of Hydreigon to do that kinda damage with a base of 60.

The calculation the guy gave was much simpler than what I just did, though I read the harder one easier than his.

Though I have no idea what his "Initial Damage" thing is so I have no idea how he had gotten the numbers he used.

Using the minimums anyway...x4 is 195-230
    x2 is 97-115

Really the minimums barely changed anything...though it does kill of the ability to use that guy's calculation to reverse check it.

EDIT: Applying the guy's formula to the one above....You can't get the numbers I got but it doesn't look like I missed anything. I don't know who is using the right formula now....

Using another Smogon one...This one is so much easier to use omg.

Using Bug since they haven't updated Fairy.
    0 SpA (custom) (Move 1) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 96-114 (63.15 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    (96, 96, 98, 98, 98, 102, 102, 102, 104, 104, 108, 108, 108, 110, 110, 114)

Attacker Info
    Bug
    SpA=125
    Bug Special 60 Bp
    Lv 50

Defender Info
    Grass
    HP=92
    SpD=90
    lv 50

0 SpA (custom) (Move 1) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 192-228 (126.31 - 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    (192, 192, 196, 196, 196, 204, 204, 204, 208, 208, 216, 216, 216, 220, 220, 228)

Attacker Info
    Bug
    SpA=125
    Bug Special 60 Bp
    Lv 50

Defender Info
    Grass/Psychic
    HP=92
    SpD=90
    lv 50

0 SpA (custom) (Move 1) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 84-100 (55.26 - 65.78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    (84, 84, 84, 84, 88, 88, 88, 88, 88, 88, 96, 96, 96, 96, 96, 100)

Attacker Info
    Bug
    SpA=125
    Bug Special 60 Bp
    Lv 32 to 34

Defender Info
    Grass/Psychic
    HP=92
    SpD=90
    lv 50

As far as I can see only thing that rings true is x2 damage cannot do 100 points of damage to them. It has to be x4 to deal 100 points of damage. So it looks as if Fairy is SE to Dark with this. I find it hard to believe myself and I just did the math. Gardevoir must have been a fairly low level which is a little unprecedented.

So Fairy:
    Weak to Poison
    Strong against Dark, Dragon, Ice

Unconfirmed:
    Weak to Steel
    Strong against Fighting
    Resisted by Fire/Psychic
    Resists nothing
    Immune Dragon

Still highly doubt the last one as its too much.

Last edited:
    Years
  • What is the formula for the actual damage? Because Gardevoirs Sp attack is not known unless it's a lvl 50 or 100
    And for it to do 96 damage how does that prove that it's SE to dark type too.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    What is the formula for the actual damage? Because Gardevoirs Sp attack is not known unless it's a lvl 50 or 100
    And for it to do 96 damage how does that prove that it's SE to dark type too.

The base Stat determines everything, including their growth. The base stat never changes despite their level so it can be used to get their current Sp. Attack number.

96 and 100 (the latter is what proves the SE to dark) are points to focus your calculations on. With it you can assemble the other information and make accurate attempts to find what the base power was or do accurate damage counts to see how they play.

100 cannot be done on a x2 setting so Hydreigon taking 100 Damage from a Fairy attack means it is doubly weak to it.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    But that doesnt prove much. If it was Se to both dark and dragon shouldn't it have done more than 100 damage?

We don't know the level but I can easily pin point a level reversing it. I think it was between 32-34 as those three levels 32, 33, and 34 have an 88 to 100 range. 32 having a minimum of 88 and 34 having a max around 100.

As I said 100 Damage can only be done by a Pokemon with x4 damage.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I was thinking about this last night when I was going through a list of possible old pokemon that could be made Fairy.

What about Illumise and Volbeat. They are both only bug type, but they have always slightly reminded me of fairies.

Years
  • Yeah, Volbeat and Illumise being Fairy would make sense not to mention that it will make those junk Bugs more useful.
    Which moves you think may become of the Fairy type? Imo: Charm, Wish, Nature Power, Sing, Relic Song, ...

Back