• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
  • Alright, so I'm going to say something that I think might be on some people's mind.

It seems these games are highly focusing on Yin and Yang, White and Black, Light and Dark. This theme is shown throughout the current advertising and through Zoruak. Has anybody else realized that this would be the perfect oppurtunity to add the fan demanded Light type? I personally think that due to this theme they are exhibiting that there will be a Light type. Does anybody else agree?

Thank you for your time.

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

EDIT: PART 2

*clears throat*

Hello everybody. Sorry for not being on this thread for a bit. I swear, Pokemon Black and White Threads are spreading faster than a Bellsprout using Growth.

I want to clear a few things up and tell you my points of view on an implementation of the Light Type. But there is one thing I want to make note of first.

Originally posted by .EJ
    Adding a light type is unnecessary and will probably cause imbalance in the game. That's the reason the dark and steel types were added; to balance it out. I'm sure we all remember when we played RBY and we all knew that having a Psychic type in your team meant utter obliteration to everybody else. I don't know about christom since he was around 1-2 years old when those games were out and couldn't play them haha.
    Firstly, it is written as ChrisTom as I enjoy using capitalization to show professionalism. Secondly, I find that comment to be completely ageist. You're implying that due to my age I lack the ability to comprehend and understand the complex "Type Mathematics" that go into the game, as well as a lack of nostalgia for the original series. You fail to realize that I've been playing the games for quite some time(albeit not as long as you): 7 years. I've been into the grandiose wonder that is Pokemon since I was 4 and I first played at 6. My first and second Pokemon games were Gold and Red respectively. I've beaten Pokemon Red 4 times, Gold 5 times, FireRed once, Both Sapphire and Emerald once, Both Diamond and Pearl twice, and Heartgold once. I know these games back and front inside and out, so I do NOT take kindly to your comment.

Now moving on...

THE LIGHT TYPE

Keep in mind the following is entirely hypothetical.

I see several fans of the wonderous world of Pokemon intrigued about the concept of Light Type Pokemon. Most think that when I said what I did I implyed that I think that there MUST be a Light Type. I don't think that whatsoever. About 10 posters said the same thing: "I don't think a light type is neccesary". I agree. It ISN'T neccesarry, but it would be nice. I think it would be a great way to get rid of the rediculous power Dragon Types have (Ice being their only weakness is rather irritating) and to give Poison and Bug Types the power they deserve. It would obviously be effective on Dark Types.

Alot of you seem to not like the Steel type and hope that Light will destory it. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with Steel whatsoever. The type does have it's weaknesses and due to the minimal amount of Steel types I think it's ok. As Fighting Types have high Attack, and Electric Types have high Speed; Steel type has high Special Defense which is fine. Most Types work like that.

Now most of you seem concerned that the Light Type would be complicated/overpowering. This is not neccesarily true. The aforemention Poison and Bug Types as well as the Grass and Rock types would be Super-Effective, while Dark, Ghost and Water would be crippled. A very small amount of Pokemon would need to be changed (Lanturn and Ampharos specifically).

Here is what I think is the most important part of this debate: Will they even do it? I think absolutely yes. Considering the vast amount of themes involving Yin and Yang, and Light and Dark (For God's sake the games are called Black and White) that they will do it. I don't see a reason why not. It would be the perfect moment for GameFreak to add it. Fans have been wanting a new Type and have been speculating a "Light Type" since Generation II and my guess is that Satoshi Tajiri-Sensei will pull through and give the fans what they want.

If you have anymore questions about my theories and ideas about how the Light-Type would be implemented into the carefully thought out Type-Mathematics, please ask and I will get to you as soon as possible. I am looking forward to the new games and your opinions on what I have said. I wish you all good luck.

With all regards,

-ChrisTom
    New Types?

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Although it would be a perfect time to add this "light" type, I just don't see it as being needed. I'm not a huge fan of the idea myself.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • I doubt that Game Freak would add a new type this far into the series. There wouldn't be many pokémon of that type unless they went back and changed the types of older pokémon (like with Magnemite & Magneton in G/S/C). Plus, a new type is a pretty major addition. Don't you think that we'd have heard about it by now if they were going to add it?

Still, I wouldn't rule out the possibility altogether.

Years
  • Light-type?

No.

I'm against the Light-type, because it just doesn't seem necessary, and it's already represented by other types such as electric, psychic, steel, even fire. It could really mix things up, and not in a good way. We don't need anymore types.

Pityflame

Unemployed Ninja
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    They only reason they even made steel and dark type was to balance psychic, so there is no need for a 'light' type.

Plus, it's a dumb idea.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • It's not a dumb idea. It makes sense first off, and secondly it would be the perfect time to add this type. I don't care if it's "Far in the series" Pokemon is a constantly changing thing.

In fact, the Pokemon series in general is constantly Evolving...

Heh heh...

True though.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • I think the "Light" type is already manifest in the other types, mostly Psychic, Electric and Fire. I admit, I don't really see a point either. The whole point of Dark-type was to balance Psychic, anyways.

Years
  • It's not a dumb idea. It makes sense first off, and secondly it would be the perfect time to add this type. I don't care if it's "Far in the series" Pokemon is a constantly changing thing.

In fact, the Pokemon series in general is constantly Evolving...

Heh heh...

True though.
    Light-based Pokemon could easily be made Fire, Psychic, or Electric type. It's just not necessary and will get in the way. We're fine as it is.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Adding a light type is unnecessary and will probably cause imbalance in the game. That's the reason the dark and steel types were added; to balance it out. I'm sure we all remember when we played RBY and we all knew that having a Psychic type in your team meant utter obliteration to everybody else. I don't know about christom since he was around 1-2 years old when those games were out and couldn't play them haha.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    i think its a must, it would balance out dark, dragon,& steel which have become horribly imbalanced

everyone with disagree cuz they all use only pseudo-legends, and if they dont theyll give it some thought before blowin it off like its unneeded :P

after all pokemon is constantly changin, you didnt go awal when they made dark& steel, and steel is horrible over powered, it resists all but 3types, and only 2-3 types is neutral against it.

so we need at least 1new type that can even out things with steel.

so light here we come :3 lol

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    i think its a must, it would balance out dark, dragon,& steel which have become horribly imbalanced

everyone with disagree cuz they all use only pseudo-legends, and if they dont theyll give it some thought before blowin it off like its unneeded :P

after all pokemon is constantly changin, you didnt go awal when they made dark& steel, and steel is horrible over powered, it resists all but 3types, and only 2-3 types is neutral against it.

so we need at least 1new type that can even out things with steel.

so light here we come :3 lol

And why would a LIGHT type be super-effective against steel? Do you realize that most steel types are not in the OU tier?

That's like saying the electric type should be super-effective against bug. That doesn't make any sense now does it?

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    You forget to mention how it's not that great of an offensive type and how its candidates can be decimated by the most common move in the metagame; Earthquake.

Not to mention the ever-common fire attacks, and the occasional fighting move.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I bet if there was a Light-Type, all the haters would use it all the time...

Pityflame

Unemployed Ninja
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    People who think steel types are unbalanced/overpowered has never used a steel type.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    ^Yep yep. Poison is among the worst types...

IF a light-type were to appear, wouldn't it have been revealed already?

Instead they gave us a new dark type family and the starters...

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • Yeah, why aren't there new types?

There was nothing wrong when GEN II introduced Steel and Dark types. Why aren't there more? Maybe they're trying to keep the system as simple as possible. Even I have problem sometimes. >_>

But, yeah. It would be nice. But would Light be SE on Dark or vice versa? o.O

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back