• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2012
    Dude, you just became my best friend in this thread XD. Thank you for making my post even clearer. Type advantage/Disadvantage =/= Overpowered or underpowered typing. Its HOW the moves are used. Psychic's main Target is Special Defense. They aim to lower it and hit you hard, add Confusion Status and you have a decent thing to worry about.

Poison's main goal is to lower Defenses and Hit the HP hard by slowly whittling down on it.

Fire types can burn which lowers Attack and does the same as Poison Status.

Steel while having the most resistances and insanely high Special Defense has common weaknesses. Fighting, Fire, and Ground. Fighting and Ground are both Physical Attack Types with a few special Attacks. Steel is mostly defensive typing with I think the most buff attacks in the game next to maybe Normal Type.

The Games' Types are balanced, but no one seems to see why or how, they look at it on the surface and rage about Steel having like 10 resistances most of which aren't that common or have good status damage chances. Only thing that makes Steel good is its complete Immunity to Poison. Which is one of the most hindering status ailments in the Game.

I'd also like to add, that there are three moves that give +1 stat to every thing. Silver Wind, Ominous Wind, and Ancient Power. I wonder why these three have such an OP ability when the other types don't. Maybe its because Game Freak see these three as the weakest types ability, damage, or even status wise, so they gave them these three attacks to compensate and attempt to balance them. Something that they have never had to do for Poison types.

But it wouldn't hurt to give Poison a few more SE hits. As you can see, most actual Poison-type pokemon don't have decent stats to begin with, so they can be KO-ed even before they can make a single move at all, and I think stats determine how a pokemon performs in battle, not just its move arsenal. Toxic can be learned by pretty much any pokemon who can learn TMs at all and you may a point with Toxic Spikes, but that can be countered by switching in a Pokemon who has the abilities "Levitate", "Immunity" or "Magic Guard" or is of the Flying, Poison or Steel-types or by moves like Rapid Spin or Defog. Toxic Spikes doesn't have good distribution and the pokemon who can learn that move can be dealt with by moves from common attacking types, like Fire, Electric, Ground and Psychic.

On topic, I think the introduction of more new types can bring something new to the games and can bring balance to the metagame if done right. I think ones that are plausible are Light, Sound, Wind, Glass/Crystal, Heart/Romance, Space, Time and Magic. I'm not so sure about a Magnet or Virtual-type, as I think both phenomena depend upon electricity to exist, but then again, we've already two types centered around the Earth element, which is definitely derived from rocks, a group of materials that makes up the ground we stand upon.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I can't believe this thread is still going on! We're so close to a release I thought this thread would be long dead, but.. since it's not, why don't I stir the pot a bit by offering a glimpse into future debates on this topic.

*Ahem*

Well, seeing as this generation, Gen. V, is like Gen. I "all over again" (because it begins at Route 1, and because only Pokemon from the Isshu region will be available in the beginning, and ect.), there has GOT to be a Light-type in Gen. VI, AKA "Gen. II."

^^ I was being slightly sarcastic/mocking, there....

That said, and because all of my posts in this thread have been buried, I'll state that I personally want a Light-type... I just don't think it's gonna happen. :( A small, irrational part of myself is still hoping GAME FREAK'll pull a fast one and reveal a new type next month.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back