• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I think the "Light" type is already manifest in the other types, mostly Psychic, Electric and Fire. I admit, I don't really see a point either. The whole point of Dark-type was to balance Psychic, anyways.

My thoughts exactly. Whenever people mention their want for a "Light" type, I immediately think about Psychic, which definitely has 'light' characteristics, in my opinion. And whenever people say that they want a Wood type, I just think of Grass Types.

Overall, I really don't think that there is a need for a new type of Pokemon this late in span of the series.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    We're not haters, we're realists! :D

If a Light-type did appear though what would it's weaknesses even be? Poison instantly comes to mind because that type just isn't the greatest...

There would be the obvious Yin-Yang effect with Dark. Poison would be also, taking away purity and giving Poison an edge since as of now it does not do much damage in the Meta Game.

Also, how does Psychic come to mind when it is based on Mind Control and Magic... :/

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Haha... I don't really care about a light type either way. It might be cool, but I don't even know what a light type would even be... I've always seen dark Pokemon as emo normal types, so... LOL.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    definetly

just to hate on spiritomb, i think it should beat both ghost and dark types. and be weak to dark and bug. why bug? why bug on a dark type, who knows!

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    There's moves like Light Screen and Lunar Dance, plus most of the moves are displayed as flashes of light and light beams. At least, that's what I think of when someone mentions Light-type. :I

Yeah, only Light Screen conflicts. Lunar Dance does not because the sun and Moon are very connected to Psychics and Magic. But as I recall, Light Screen was portrayed as Mr. Mimes gimmick signature in the anime and was very magic like besides the simple word light being in the name.

Years
    No. No. No. Light wouldn't even be the opposite of Dark. Dark isn't dark. It's called aku あく in the Japanese games and it means 'bad' or 'evil' NOT 'dark' or 'shadow' or anything like that. That's why the Fighting types work against it since they're the 'good' types that fight fair.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    My thoughts exactly. Whenever people mention their want for a "Light" type, I immediately think about Psychic, which definitely has 'light' characteristics, in my opinion. And whenever people say that they want a Wood type, I just think of Grass Types.

Overall, I really don't think that there is a need for a new type of Pokemon this late in span of the series.
    This, exactly.

If a Light Type was going to be introduced into the series, then it would have been done since the second generation along with the inclusion of Dark and Steel types. I think just the thought of Umbreon and Espeon counterparting each other kind of proves how Psychic represents the Light type we think about.

I personally wouldn't mind one more type, especially a Light type. However, the thought of it unbalancing the system we have now and Psychic types in a way just representing it as a whole kind of makes me think it unecessary.

Ωmega

Four score and seven years ago
    Years
    A Light-Type isn't necessary. First off, Psychic was overpowered in Gen. I (nothing could beat it) so in Gen II they introduced Dark and Steel (something super-effective against Dark and something Psychic-types can't take out in one hit like Gen I). I think the system we have now is fine. I was initially for the Light-type addition to games, but then I realized that there is no need for it.

IF there were to be a Light-type, it would have to counter Dark and they would both need to be super-effective against each other and Light would have to do normal damage to all other types in order for the game to remain balanced. Also, Light would need to have at least 2 resistances. That would keep the game balanced, in my opinion.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
    Light type would only discredit Espeon and the Fighting Type advantage on Dark Types (fighting like, superhero imo)
    I'm not against a new type, I'm against something that will mess up balance with the type system. Besides, we have a saying for this: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This applies here, if nowhere else at all.

Nohr

Long-time Trainer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    No, there is no NEED for a light type. The game is balanced. The ONLY reason Dark and Steel were made in Gen 2 was to balance out the crazily overpowered Psychic type. Now, all the types are generally balanced, or, atleast nothing's OVER powered.

Besides, can you even TRY to make up a "Light" type pokemon that couldn't be classified as Fire, Psychic, Lightening, or even Flying?

Go ahead; try, I dare you.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    If they made a Light type, good for them, I would use it, but I just don't see how they could. Light-type MOVES are conceivable, true, but Light-type Pokemon? What, are we going to introduce a dozen variations of sun-warriors? I can't even think of a Pokemon now that would fall under a Light category... maybe Espeon, and that doesn't really make sense other than the fact that it's Umbreon's counterpart.

Years
    First, I am fully in support of some new types. Otherwise it will just be the same game as the last three. And there are two ideas that I have heard of that I think would be great:

Light and Sound

Sound seems like a type that should have been introduced in Gen III (Whimsur's line in specific). There are also tons of moves that could easily be switched to sound-type, like Uproar. Sound could have some sort of relationship with Bug and Poison.

Light is something that's needed specifically for Legendary Pokemon. We're always stuck with strange combinations for legendaries like Steel/Dragon and Water/Dragon (Dialga and Palkia) or Psychic/Flying and Fire/Flying (Lugia and Ho-Oh) so that version-exclusive legendaries don't have a type advantage over one another. Since it's likely that Zorua and Zoruark are going to be legendaries, it would be great to have a type that is just as strong and balanced as dark.

The real question would be what the strengths and weaknesses of these types would be. Maybe later tonight, I'll try to look at the existing type charts and come up with a good balance for these two new types.

shortdan1998

Rawr! I'm back, baby!
    Years
    I personally think that to balance the metagame for future players that there should be a new type, but perhaps not "light" for the love of psychic types. I actually think that there should be something that would make a new type triangle that would be each super effective against each other and the one that is weak to another would resist a secondary typing that would impact the games. That is what I think should be done just because of a sort of imbalance to certain Pokemon, and the fact that in a Battle Arcade run with me and my cousin, the opponent was a water-type, yet when it was paralyzed, Ice Beam was super effective.

Years
    past experience tells me there won't be a light type (despite how much I wanted it since Gen II), but then again, Colosseum and XD had the shadow type, albeit only a temporary type.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I pray to kyogre that we don't see any more types, it's perfect as is. :(

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^

^

I find myself quoting other people more and more because my opinions are so much like theirs. Anyway, if there's anything that will turn me away from B&W, it would be the inclusion of a light type. Why, why, WHY would they throw off something that I've known perfectly (albeit almost perfectly - who knew Rock was neutral to Rock? D:) for the last ten years or so? That just doesn't make sense at all.

I'd imply more about why Light-type would be retarded and not make sense but everyone else's posts seem to have covered that so I'll let it go.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    It's not a dumb idea. It makes sense first off, and secondly it would be the perfect time to add this type. I don't care if it's "Far in the series" Pokemon is a constantly changing thing.

In fact, the Pokemon series in general is constantly Evolving...

Heh heh...

True though.

How does it make sense?

Light-type?

No.

I'm against the Light-type, because it just doesn't seem necessary, and it's already represented by other types such as electric, psychic, steel, even fire. It could really mix things up, and not in a good way. We don't need anymore types.

Adding a light type is unnecessary and will probably cause imbalance in the game. That's the reason the dark and steel types were added; to balance it out. I'm sure we all remember when we played RBY and we all knew that having a Psychic type in your team meant utter obliteration to everybody else. I don't know about christom since he was around 1-2 years old when those games were out and couldn't play them haha.

No, there is no NEED for a light type. The game is balanced. The ONLY reason Dark and Steel were made in Gen 2 was to balance out the crazily overpowered Psychic type. Now, all the types are generally balanced, or, atleast nothing's OVER powered.

Besides, can you even TRY to make up a "Light" type pokemon that couldn't be classified as Fire, Psychic, Lightening, or even Flying?

Go ahead; try, I dare you.

I pray to kyogre that we don't see any more types, it's perfect as is. :(

A bunch of intelligent people with intelligent posts.

And sound? Really? Think about it please. How do you categorize that? Every Pokemon that can make a noise (All of them) can make sound. It could maybe possibly work for a move but that's what we have normal for, to categorize the few things that can be seen as exceptions to other types or things that are just plain normal like sound.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back