• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

austy14

Cannibal
Years
  • I honestly don't like a light type... the current tyes are so balanced, and a lot of players know the system by heart (myslef included) so a new type out the blue could make a lot of people unhappy.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I honestly don't like a light type... the current tyes are so balanced, and a lot of players know the system by heart (myslef included) so a new type out the blue could make a lot of people unhappy.

They're not balanced though. People only think they're balanced because the strong types are all balanced against each other, but in order for there to be strong and weak types the system has to be unbalanced. If it were balanced, Poison wouldn't be so underpowered.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    They're not balanced though. People only think they're balanced because the strong types are all balanced against each other, but in order for there to be strong and weak types the system has to be unbalanced. If it were balanced, Poison wouldn't be so underpowered.
    I agree it's not balanced, though I still don't want new types.

Besides, if you added a Light-type, how would another type for Poison to hit with normal damage help with its type coverage, exactly?

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
  • They're not balanced though. People only think they're balanced because the strong types are all balanced against each other, but in order for there to be strong and weak types the system has to be unbalanced. If it were balanced, Poison wouldn't be so underpowered.

So many types are underpowered, eh? Thank god for type combinations and wholesome movesets.

Types are whatever - it's the Pokemon that are "underpowered."

Ayesha

惚け
    Years
  • I like Light, it sounds interesting. But I was also hoping they would release a primary Flying type, one that is JUST Flying and not paired with anything. That would be really interesting.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Guys, honestly, what is the point in a Light type?

It's probably been discussed here hundreds of times, but I just don't see it. How will a Light type contribute to the typing system in any way?

I didn't mind the inclusion of Dark and Steel, since the Psychic type was heavily overpowered in Gen I, and wasn't Not Very Effective or Ineffective to any type, so this change was warranted.

But I really can't see the point in introducing any more types. The system we already have is perfectly balanced, so why complicate it further? I wouldn't mind if Light was added in, but it's not needed.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    @ above poster; what point would that have? o_O We already have a fire type.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

Poison type doesn't NEED that many advantages. Poison is one of the most crippling types and status effects in the games. Toxic and Toxic Spikes are very common in competitive play and can cause serious damage to the teams they are used against.

Yes the current set IS balanced. Just because one type doesn't have as many resistances as Steel doesn't mean its under powered nor does it mean Steel is over powered. You need to look pass the typing and what hurts it and what can't hurt it and look at what each type is capable of doing damage wise.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2015
    What about a RoflCopter type? or maybe a PWNZER type i bet that would succeed in the majority of its plays :3

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • i can't see a light type being created. too unbalanced.
    sounds like a psychic/electric. and what would the damage be?
    2x Dark/Ice/Ghost??? 0.5x Electric/Steel/Rock/Psychic???
    but if it was more than one type made,
    and it was balanced, there's a possibility :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    What about a RoflCopter type? or maybe a PWNZER type i bet that would succeed in the majority of its plays :3

a what. o_O

That would be pointless (although I assume you're being sarcastic)... so, actual speculation, that is serious, would be nice.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    You need to look pass the typing and what hurts it and what can't hurt it and look at what each type is capable of doing damage wise.

Yes, which is why Poison Pokemon get a rough deal. Weak to Psychic and Ground - both incredibly common offensive types - and doesn't even affect Steel, an incredibly common defensive type.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2012
    i think a light type would be cool strong to dark weak to somthing like psychik

Arolu

Time to cut some slack...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    A lot of people would ask for a Light Type but, I think the Normal Type is the Light Type.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Yes, which is why Poison Pokemon get a rough deal. Weak to Psychic and Ground - both incredibly common offensive types - and doesn't even affect Steel, an incredibly common defensive type.
    Your point is invalid. All you've done is state facts. XanderO even said to look past the typing and understand how some Pokemon have their own individual advantages, and you just jumped right back in on the typing - "Poison is weak to this, Poison is weak to that....blah blah blah".

I actually consider the Poison type one of the best in the games. As mentioned, the Poison type is a very, very frustrating type to be on the opposing side of. Moves like Toxic and Sludge carry a very high risk of Poisoning your Pokemon. With Toxic, the Poison worsens every turn, and Sludge is an offensive attack too. I've had many controller throwing moments at the hands of these moves, and others. I can guarantee that if we have a Poison type League Champ one day, he/she will be one of the hardest.

Poison types have their advantages and disadvantages just like any other type. It isn't all about type advantage. I can understand why people would think this though - I bet that the people who think Poison types are underpowered are the ones who use nothing but offensive attacks in their battles.

And if you find you're up against a Ground or Psychic type with your Poison type Pokemon - SWITCH OUT. Just like you would in any other situation.

Last edited:
    Years
  • A lot of people would ask for a Light Type but, I think the Normal Type is the Light Type.

Then how would a beam of light damage a plant?

The types aren't balanced, steel and dragon types are overpowered. The reason that Ice, ground, fire and fighting moves are so common is because of them.

The metagame will adjust, even if some Pokemon are used a lot more. A balance is when nothing is overpowered or underpowered. The metagame isn't out of balance too much (that's why Pokemon are banned) so a light type isn't needed, but it would be nice to have.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Your point is invalid. All you've done is state facts. XanderO even said to look past the typing and understand how some Pokemon have their own individual advantages, and you just jumped right back in on the typing - "Poison is weak to this, Poison is weak to that....blah blah blah".

I actually consider the Poison type one of the best in the games. As mentioned, the Poison type is a very, very frustrating type to be on the opposing side of. Moves like Toxic and Sludge carry a very high risk of Poisoning your Pokemon. With Toxic, the Poison worsens every turn, and Sludge is an offensive attack too. I've had many controller throwing moments at the hands of these moves, and others. I can guarantee that if we have a Poison type League Champ one day, he/she will be one of the hardest.

Poison types have their advantages and disadvantages just like any other type. It isn't all about type advantage. I can understand why people would think this though - I bet that the people who think Poison types are underpowered are the ones who use nothing but offensive attacks in their battles.

And if you find you're up against a Ground or Psychic type with your Poison type Pokemon - SWITCH OUT. Just like you would in any other situation.

Dude, you just became my best friend in this thread XD. Thank you for making my post even clearer. Type advantage/Disadvantage =/= Overpowered or underpowered typing. Its HOW the moves are used. Psychic's main Target is Special Defense. They aim to lower it and hit you hard, add Confusion Status and you have a decent thing to worry about.

Poison's main goal is to lower Defenses and Hit the HP hard by slowly whittling down on it.

Fire types can burn which lowers Attack and does the same as Poison Status.

Steel while having the most resistances and insanely high Special Defense has common weaknesses. Fighting, Fire, and Ground. Fighting and Ground are both Physical Attack Types with a few special Attacks. Steel is mostly defensive typing with I think the most buff attacks in the game next to maybe Normal Type.

The Games' Types are balanced, but no one seems to see why or how, they look at it on the surface and rage about Steel having like 10 resistances most of which aren't that common or have good status damage chances. Only thing that makes Steel good is its complete Immunity to Poison. Which is one of the most hindering status ailments in the Game.

I'd also like to add, that there are three moves that give +1 stat to every thing. Silver Wind, Ominous Wind, and Ancient Power. I wonder why these three have such an OP ability when the other types don't. Maybe its because Game Freak see these three as the weakest types ability, damage, or even status wise, so they gave them these three attacks to compensate and attempt to balance them. Something that they have never had to do for Poison types.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back