• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Weather Condition: Harsh Moonlight

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
Had the idea for a counterpart to the harsh sunlight weather condition, but with the moon instead. I was wondering what effects you guys think such a weather condition would cause? Power boosts, power cuts, altered effects, residual effects, etc. Just interested to hear some opinions and feedback on this idea. Thanks!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
First off, sorry for the double post.

Secondly, after a month of pondering, these are the effects that I keep coming back to. Nothing specific but generally speaking:
- Psychic and Fairy-types regain HP at the end of each turn
- Dark and Ghost-type attacks get boosted in power
- Dark-type moves get lowered in accuracy (to reference the insanity often associated with the full moon)
- Surf, or maybe all multi-target Water-type attacks, get boosted in power (to reference the moon's effect on the tides)

Any and all feedback would be appreciated!

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Years
I always wanted it because moonlight is better in harsh sunlight, thats makes no sense. These are my thoughts:

-Castform changes into Stormy Castform (electric form) or Moony Castform (dark form). Thunder comes out of a cloud only at night i guess and the moon comes up at night so i can not decide which is better...
Of course Weather ball will change into THAT type.
-Moonlight will regain 2/3 HP and morning sun, synthesis and shore up(...did Iforget one?) Will regain 1/4 HP.
-Since it is really dark, electric types can light it up. So boosted in power too? (think about ampharos the light pokemon)

I am enthousiast who agrees with it and reply if you want(:
Do you like the ideas Pibb247?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
Thank you, Damien and Moonsyrin, for your support!

Thank you, Regiceberg, for the feedback. To reply individually:

1. Castform gains a new form
> I agree completely. I plan on new forms for sandstorm (Rock-type) and strong winds (Flying-type) as well. As for what type the moonlight form would be, it would depend what type I end up associating harsh moonlight with the most closely. If you look at my above suggestion, it could be either Psychic, Fairy, Dark, or Ghost. Personally, I am leaning towards Fairy, seeing as how most of the moon-related moves that already exist are Fairy-type. And as for a name, perhaps Starry Form?

2. The amount of HP regained by Moonlight is reworked.
> I agree completely.

3. Electric-type attacks get buffed during harsh moonlight.
> I am against this one, but please allow me to explain why. In my game, I am introducing the Light-type. Notably, Light and Dark are super-effective against each other. Furthermore, I am introducing a new Ability called Contrast, which buffs Dark-type attacks while it is bright (during the day, etc.) and buffs Light-type attacks while it is dark (during the night, etc.). So, I agree completely with how you suggest an attack that produces light should become more powerful in the dark, but I have already implemented it in other ways.

Thank you, again, Regiceberg, for your input. Do you have any opinions on the ideas I suggested in the first reply to the main post?

Years
I am really happy to see you like my ideas and I can not wait if you are going to make the game to play it.

I agree moon resembles the fairy type. The name Moony Castform is the opposite of Sunny Castform so I think Moony castform or Starry Castform fits it well.

About lowering the accuracy of the dark type would be mean because It already has 2 new weaknesses. Actually If the moon gets Half means It is even darker because the moon lights the dark up.

I hope I do not spam much because your question was if I had a feedback on the main post and the threat goes about the new wheather condition and not about Castform or the light type.

But i want to say something about the light type.
First are you still working on the type?
secondly It will be cool If Bug is supereffective against light because from what I know bugs fly or walks towards lights and bug type moves already have so much ressistances so It will be a good recovery.

It already means a lot to me I can share my thoughts with others. I hope to hear from you soon. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
Regiceberg
> I have every intention of making this game eventually. I am laying all the groundwork first before I get into the coding aspect of things.
> I agree that lowering the accuracy of Dark-type moves is overkill for a type that has recently been so nerfed. However, as an alternative, I've recently thought that maybe the target is chosen randomly, so the craziness is still referenced, but not in a way that hurts the gameplay so badly. Also, another thought I had was what if Dark-type moves became super-effective against Fairy-type targets during harsh moonlight?
> I have finished the Light-type.
- Light is super-effective against Dark, Ghost, Fighting, Poison, and Ice.
- Light is resisted by Ground, Rock, Steel, Water, Grass, Psychic, and Light.
- Light is weak to Water, Grass, and Dark.
- Light resists Ghost, Fairy, Fire, Electric, and Light (so Light resists itself).
For balancing sakes, Ice will now resist Ground and Flying (as well as Ice still) in my game. I like the thought of certain Bugs being strong against Light. I've been toying around with the idea that some dragons are known for being drawn to shiny objects, so maybe instead of a power boost, how about a new Ability that makes it so Bug-type and Dragon-type moves will ALWAYS hit Light-type targets?

Damien
> The move Sandstorm is actually Rock-type (I just double-checked actually, lol). Also, Rock-types get 50% more Special Defense during sandstorms, so I thought any help to Castform (considering how weak it is) would be a good idea.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Years
The move Sandstorm is actually Rock-type (I just double-checked actually, lol).
I must've been deceived by the Italian translation...
Sandstorm was translated as "terrempesta", from terra(dirt, earth)
and tempesta(tempest, storm).

Typing about translations :
Team Magma Leader Maxie had his name changed to Max in Italian and French,
and Max from the anime has his name unchanged. You had one job translators!{XD}

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
So, after taking a break and doing some more pondering, I have clarified some of the effects for harsh moonlight. Thoughts?
  • Fairy- and Psychic-type Pokemon regain 1/8 max HP at the end of each turn. (For the record, I am also buffing Rain Dish and Ice Body to recover 1/8 max HP during their respective weathers, instead of 1/16 max HP.)
  • Fairy-type Pokemon lose their resistance to Dark-type attacks. Instead, Dark-type attacks are now super-effective against Fairy-type targets.
  • Dark-type attacks get boosted in power by 50%.
  • Tidal Terrain (the Water-type version of Misty/Electric/Grassy/Psychic Terrain) will not end while harsh moonlight is active, even if its 5 turns have passed. (For the record, I am making Terrains for every type, except Flying.)
  • As mentioned above, Castform will gain a corresponding new Form (probably Fairy-type, yet unnamed). Also, Moonlight (and similar moves) will be reworked accordingly.

IRON NIDOW

I'm a talking dog
Years
I think the only problem is the name 'harsh moonlight' it doesn't make any sense at all, maybe you should think another moon phenomenon like lunar eclipse, full moon, red moon... I think Full moon is a simple and good way to define a 'weather' for moon doing the effects you all mentioned

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Years
I think the only problem is the name 'harsh moonlight' it doesn't make any sense at all, maybe you should think another moon phenomenon like lunar eclipse, full moon, red moon... I think Full moon is a simple and good way to define a 'weather' for moon doing the effects you all mentioned
That sounds way more interesting, but in that case an other
issue comes up : how to implement the moon phases?
~_~

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
I think the only problem is the name 'harsh moonlight' it doesn't make any sense at all,

I respectfully disagree. Yes, the effects of this new weather condition draw from the idea of a full moon, but "Full Moon" itself just sounds like a boring name. Plus, during a full moon, there is a great deal of light in the sky, despite the fact that it is nighttime and supposed to be dark, hence harsh moonlight. Also, the name draws a parallel to the already existing weather condition, "harsh sunlight". Much like night and day are counterparts to one another, "harsh moonlight" and "harsh sunlight" are supposed to be counterparts to one another.

I recognize that "Lunar Eclipse" and "New Moon" were also among your suggestions, but they are the exact opposite of what this weather condition represents, because a Lunar Eclipse is when the moon is completely blocked out by the sun, and a new moon is when the moon is at its darkest.

Regardless, I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

IRON NIDOW

I'm a talking dog
Years
I respectfully disagree. Yes, the effects of this new weather condition draw from the idea of a full moon, but "Full Moon" itself just sounds like a boring name. Plus, during a full moon, there is a great deal of light in the sky, despite the fact that it is nighttime and supposed to be dark, hence harsh moonlight. Also, the name draws a parallel to the already existing weather condition, "harsh sunlight". Much like night and day are counterparts to one another, "harsh moonlight" and "harsh sunlight" are supposed to be counterparts to one another.

I recognize that "Lunar Eclipse" and "New Moon" were also among your suggestions, but they are the exact opposite of what this weather condition represents, because a Lunar Eclipse is when the moon is completely blocked out by the sun, and a new moon is when the moon is at its darkest.

Regardless, I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

I understand my friend, just some corrections: I said Red moon, not new moon haha, the red moon is a rare phenomemon that the moon becomes red. Also my mistake about lunar eclipse, it should be named only eclipse(based on solar eclipse when the moon covers the sun, but since the name solar eclipse would not be a good name, it should be named only eclipse)

Also I understand perfectly what you said, but that wasn't my point, what I was actually saying is: the use of the word 'harsh' with 'moonlight' after', I found the expression 'harsh moonlight' strange only, cause the phrase 'harsh moonlight' doesn't sound natural to me. Its common to use the expression 'harsh sunlight' in summer for example, but the expression 'harsh moonlight' doesn't exist since its not a natural phenomemon and that's why it sounds strange to me, it's like you say 'hot ice' or something like this.

But it's a matter only of how much natural you want the name. If that's not the case so disconsider ^^ :3

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
I understand my friend, just some corrections: I said Red moon, not new moon haha, the red moon is a rare phenomemon that the moon becomes red.

I deeply apologize; I must've misread that.

Also, I understand your point better now. Thank you very much for clarifying. Is there another adjective you suggest to replace "harsh"? I understand it is not normal for moonlight to be very strong, but I suppose that's what I like most when I envision this in my head -- just how bright the moon must be shining to make Dark-types go crazy and to restore health to magical Pokemon.

I appreciate your polite and detailed response!

IRON NIDOW

I'm a talking dog
Years
I deeply apologize; I must've misread that.

Also, I understand your point better now. Thank you very much for clarifying. Is there another adjective you suggest to replace "harsh"? I understand it is not normal for moonlight to be very strong, but I suppose that's what I like most when I envision this in my head -- just how bright the moon must be shining to make Dark-types go crazy and to restore health to magical Pokemon.

I appreciate your polite and detailed response!

It's okay man :3, I just want to help you, I like your idea! ^^ How about Radiant Moonlight? x). Also if you don't care if 'harsh moonlight' sounds unatural, it should not be a problem! For example, there's a Kyurem move called 'ice burn' it's not very logical, but it exists haha! (maybe it's based in frostbite but anyway... x) )

Last edited:
Back