• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Newbie in Ruby - Discussion On Starting Pokemon.

Miyukii

ShweetyパイPopzz♥
    Years
    Hello. I just recently started playing Pokemon Ruby and I've really enjoyed it so far. This topic is basically your starting Pokemon and why you think it's good.

I started with Torchic, since it's a cute Pokemon as well as it can evolve into a Blaziken and I want a powerful Pokemon.

Clevink

Don't mess with Espeon...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    Sorry to sound like a wannabe-mod, but this should be in the Advance Generation section.

But on-topic, I chose Torchic. It's final evolved form is a very good fighting type, and Torchic is A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!

Last edited:

Donnie

the popstar that never was
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 22, 2013
    i started with
    Torchic,
    reason: theres not that many fighter pokemon that i can easily get and i like(i hate mahkuhita)

Lucar10

Record for Longest Hiatus
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2015
    I agree with you all just that everyone says that Treecko is the best way to go so its best if you download it so you can have 2 or more users

Years
    blaziken can beat both of the other starters final evolutions he can beat sceptile with fire attacks and he can beat swampert with basically any of his fighting attacks ,so in my opinion blaziken is the best choice

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2008
    Eh, i actually like all three. Here's why.

Treecko:
    personally, i am never able to beat the seventh gym when i get there. it's like, easy gym, easy gym, easy gym, BAM! and so then i evolve my grovyle into sceptile and get him leaf blade. and i beat them. but sceptile is a very strong grass-type anyway, which, IMO, there are a shortage of.

Swampert:
    swampert just rocks. lets put it this way: i had a lvl 93 swampert with Surf, Earthquake, Brick Break, and Ice Beam. that rocks.

Blaziken:
    blaziken is pretty amazing as well. considering a possibility of blaze kick, sky uppercut, and...well, who needs any other moves with blaze kick and sky uppercut?

I guess that my favorite would be swampert, but the best for in-game i think is blaziken. nothing wrong with sceptile though.

Miyukii

ShweetyパイPopzz♥
    Years
    Sorry about the wrong section...Anyway, the majority of you chose Torchic, but again, you have to think it's cute as well as tough.

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    Usually I pick Torchic, because it evolves into one of the only fighting Pokemon that I like and actually use. When I need a change, though, I'll play with Mudkip

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    i started with
    Torchic,
    reason: theres not that many fighter pokemon that i can easily get and i like(i hate mahkuhita)
    How do you hate Mahkuhita? In my opinion, s/he evolves into one of the best pure fighting Pokemon in the game right now.

On Topic though, I would say Swampert because he is amazing versatile with his movepool. He is a fully evolved starter that can learn Earthquake, Ice Beam, and Hydro Pump that can have STAB.

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    Torchic!
    I played PMD and got torchic from the stupid quiz...
    Then i got Ruby and saw that you could pick Torchic!
    And i always loved Fire Pokemons!
    I have the fire starters on every game so far(except for DP, as i don't yet have a DS, but when i get, i am gonna pick Chimchar)!

If you put in Blaze Kick, Sky Uppercut, Fire Blast(120 base power + STAB + Blaziken's amazing power = OWN!) and Earthquake you have an(almost) unbeatable Pokemon!

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    I choose Swampert...
    Reason 1. Didn't know.
    2. Easy to train.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    blaziken can beat both of the other starters final evolutions he can beat sceptile with fire attacks and he can beat swampert with basically any of his fighting attacks ,so in my opinion blaziken is the best choice
    Huh???? You do know that Blaziken is weak to both Water AND Ground, right? Swampert can wipe out Blaziken with either Surf or an even more powerful Earthquake, before Blaziken can do anything with a Figthing move, especially with Swampert's Base 90 Def. Blaziken is FAR inferior to Swampert

Did anyone here know, that Swampert actually have 5 statpoints more than Blaziken and Sceptile, but have a 400% Weakness to Rival Starter...
    While it is true that Swampert is 4x weak to Grass, you underestimate the fact that Swampert can also learn Ice Beam, that can OHKO Sceptile on the switch. I have done that numerous times.

Swampert is by far the best starter Pokemon out of all the generations. It's typing is one of the best in the game and its moveset and versatility is unmatched. Both Sceptile and Blaziken cannot achieve their best moveset until way after the Weak 5. Sceptile can get its best moveset before the sixth gym leader.

Swampert >>>> Sceptile > Blaziken

ChibiVamp

>>RETRO GAMER<<
    Years
    i almost always pick torchic but when i wanna mix things up a bit ill pick mudkip. i never pick the grass starter for the sole reason that i dont like them. last time i picked Treecko it got pwnd alot so i quit, pick torchic and no probs from there.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I Choose mudkip, because catch one pokémon of water is to hard in started the game...
    But I prefer torchic because I always choose the pokemon type of fire..xP

Back