• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Newer Generations in Remakes?

Years
  • When Game Freak finally decides to remake a classic, it's always in a newer Gen than the original. This would mean that you would have access to Pokemon not in the original games, in the remake. In FRLG, we were completely cut-off from non-kanto Pokemon at first, whereas in HG/SS we could evolve our Johto Pokemon into Sinnoh Pokemon, and were allowed full compatibility with Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. So, do you prefer Pokemon from the newer generations in remakes, or would you rather that it be kept pure, having only Pokemon from the original game? Personally, I prefer the newer generations being integrated into the remakes, for fresh variety. As others have said, I'd prefer the only way to obtain a Pokemon from another region is by trading (at any time, preferably) or evolution of a pokemon in the region.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I like having the new generations implemented in the remakes because that way, I can use my personal favorite Pokemon pre-National Dex.

Years
  • I don't think any Pokemon that weren't in the originals should be included until post-elite 4. However, I don't think they should restrict what Pokemon the player can and can't use, like they did in FRLG. If the player wants to use Pokemon from future generations, I think they should be allowed to. I think it was nice that HGSS let your Johto Pokemon evolve into their Sinnoh evolutions. It was also great to see that the Sevii Islands included Johto Pokemon, and that HGSS's Kanto had trainers with Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I thought it was stupid how they did that in FRLG. It logically made no sense (then again, most games don't) that Golbat and Chansey couldn't evolve because the Pokedex wouldn't allow it. Sooo, I have no problem with newer Pokemon in remakes, as long as the Pokemon is relevant to an evolution line.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    FRLG were a bit too extreme about it, I think, mainly with the whole evolution thing. Pokemon simply would not be able to evolve if their evolutions were outside of the original 151. Remakes should make it possible to evolve your Pokemon to their final stages before getting the National Dex, regardless of which generation the evolved forms appeared in. ... But of course, it'd feel really wrong if I were exploring Kanto and all of a sudden a wild Stunky appeared. With the exception of post-game legendaries and all, the remakes should continue to stick with their original Pokemon.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I am okay with being able to transfer future generations pokemon or having future pokemon included in that region if they evolve into something. I am not okay with random future Generation pokemon appearing in that region, unless it is post Elite 4. I did though prefer the availability in HGSS over FRLG.

Years
  • I prefer to have it so that I can evolve my pokemon into future generation pokemon, and that I can trade my pokemon, but I prefer having it just the pokemon in the original game until post-E4.

WaterSplash

Common
    Years
  • I think they made a pretty good compromise in HeartGold and SoulSilver giving you the Sinnoh and Hoenn sounds in order to capture the Pokémon from those generations. However, as said now by almost everyone here, having those Pokémon randomly in the wild in those regions would be a bit odd.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • What about Third Generation?

Well, nearly every generation is in DS or DSi or other games related to DS except Generation 3. I know it is the most modern in the gameboy, but I really don't like how you can transfer them to the P/D/P and so on without able to get them back. I think a remake on the Third Generation would be nice...for I would definitely buy it. I love that Generation.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • The Golbat/Chansey thing was too much, IMO. While some effort should be made to keep Pokemon in their native region as far as catching them and as far as being on enemy trainers' rosters (at least pre-Elite Four), if you want to evolve a Pokemon into a "newer" generation form or trade over Pokemon/eggs belonging to a newer generation, you should be allowed to do so.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Personally I perfer the newer generations in the remake. Playing Heartgold I was completely blinded that I was able to have a Yanmega pre-national dex. I was so happy :3 I guess they waited until post-national dex to evolve pokemon because there wasnt too many of them unlike generation IV. I didnt mind it in FRLG, in fact I didnt take that much notice to it.

Back