• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen News about the Shiny Charm and Future Events

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    News About The Shiny Charm & My Theory of Future Events

I just discovered that Professor Sycamore will still congratulate and reward you with the Shiny Charm even though you may not have all the pokedex filled out.. I am assuming that the previous generation Legendaries are not a requirement for Professor Sycamore..

What happened is I currently have 714 pokemon, 4 short of complete (Missing Keldeo, Cerebi, Manaphy, and Meloetta), but I decided to see what professor sycamore would say about the National dex, and it turned out he congratulated me and told me to come to his lab to pick up a gift, which was the Shiny Charm.

I am not sure to meet this requirement, all you need are all the normal Pokemon OR the normal Pokemon + GTS Tradable Legendaries (i.e. dialga, palkia, lugia, entei, virizion, etc), but seeing that I am missing 4 of the Non-GTS Tradable (Event) Legendaries from my pokedex completely, at least I now know for sure, those aren't a requirement to satisfy Professor Sycamore.

ALSO AS A BONUS!! I just discovered that it was enough to satisfy the Game Director in Coumarine City too!

Discovering this kinda makes me assume something....

Here's my rumor/theory:

The fact that an incomplete Pokedex is enough to satisfy both Professor Sycamore and the Game Director... Does this mean that Event Pokemon such as Victini, Jirachi, Keldeo, Manaphy, Meloetta, Mew, Darkrai, Deoxys, Genesect, and Shaymin, etc, are never going to see an official release in X&Y?

If you ask me, especially the fact that the Game Director gave me the Final 4th Certificate for completing the Pokedex even though I am missing some, I believe proves that there won't be any official worldwide events/unlocks for these Legendary Pokemon (other than typical limited Japanese only events) or else wouldn't it had been programed/scripted for the Game Director to not reward me with the certificate until I got them..?

As for Future Leaked and Never Before Seen Legendaries and Pokemon.. well that's a different story. Those can still come to fruition and have no effect on the Game Director/Pokedex as they stand.

Here's My Final Certificate :D!
    News about the Shiny Charm and Future Events

All In My Pokemon X Home:

My Trainer Card (I'm poor D;!!):

A-028-1 Adventure
    National Pokédex Completionist:
    A Medal to honor those recognized by the professor as having completed the National Pokédex. 01/27/2014

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I had 706 I think when I got the Shiny Charm. The Pokemon you listed are just Event-only. Doesn't mean they won't be released for XY, just means that they'll never be counted towards you getting the charm or the certificate things, because they don't expect you to be able to get them all.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2019
    I read something saying you just have to complete the Kalos Pokédex for the Shiny Charm. Was that wrong? Or maybe I remember it wrong...

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    I read something saying you just have to complete the Kalos Pokédex for the Shiny Charm. Was that wrong? Or maybe I remember it wrong...

Completing the Kalos Dex only gets you the Oval Charm (speeds up breeding/more eggs).

Completing the National Dex is what gets you the Shiny Charm (minus event legendaries in X&Y apparently)

I had 706 I think when I got the Shiny Charm. The Pokemon you listed are just Event-only. Doesn't mean they won't be released for XY, just means that they'll never be counted towards you getting the charm or the certificate things, because they don't expect you to be able to get them all.

Would you happen to know if this was the same in Black and White and previous gens? or just X&Y?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2019
    Flushed is right you need all except the event legendaries. I have exactly 706 pokemon and no event legendaries and I have the shiny charm.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    Flushed is right you need all except the event legendaries. I have exactly 706 pokemon and no event legendaries and I have the shiny charm.

I just wonder if this same rule applied to B/W, B/W2, and Previous Generations but not with getting the Shiny Charm but satisfying the Game Director for the Certificates.

Because I know the Professors are more Lax than the Game Director.. I got the Oval Charm when I didn't capture all the Kalos Pokemon but only seen all of them. Professor Sycamore was Satisfied but the Game Director was not and required me to had captured them too.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I just wonder if this same rule applied to B/W, B/W2, and Previous Generations but not with getting the Shiny Charm but satisfying the Game Director for the Certificates.

Because I know the Professors are more Lax than the Game Director.. I got the Oval Charm when I didn't capture all the Kalos Pokemon but only seen all of them. Professor Sycamore was Satisfied but the Game Director was not and required me to had captured them too.

The pokedex completion rewards never count the Event only Pokemon. I got it in D/P without the last three. Shiny Charm in B/W/B2/W2 is given if you have all but the events as well.

But it come with the anime release );

They have done Anime specific events that didn't get released out of Japan before. Generally if its in CoroCoro the way this one is, its pretty much Japan only.

Years
    The pokedex completion rewards never count the Event only Pokemon. I got it in D/P without the last three. Shiny Charm in B/W/B2/W2 is given if you have all but the events as well.

They have done Anime specific events that didn't get released out of Japan before. Generally if its in CoroCoro the way this one is, its pretty much Japan only.

that sucks.... I haven't really been into the online scene for Pokemon, but since X and Y I've started getting into it... Thanks

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    that sucks.... I haven't really been into the online scene for Pokemon, but since X and Y I've started getting into it... Thanks

Yeah it does suck :\ Japan gets a ton of events than the world doesn't.. even currently for X&Y all we got was a free Torchic, but Japan so far has gotten not only the Torchic but also Haunter/Gengar, Scyther (holding metal coat)/Scizor, Wobbuffet, Inkay, Garchomp, and for your Birthday you can choose a special Pikachu, Eevie, Sylveon, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, or Glaceon all of who know the exclusive non-damaging move "Celebrate", they also got Free items such as a Weakness Policy, 12 Quick Balls, & Lucky Egg.

Then if you compare Black and White japan events to world events >.> it's like 10-20 world events Vs. up to 100+ japanese events

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Yeah it does suck :\ Japan gets a ton of events than the world doesn't.. even currently for X&Y all we got was a free Torchic, but Japan so far has gotten not only the Torchic but also Haunter/Gengar, Scyther (holding metal coat)/Scizor, Wobbuffet, Inkay, Garchomp, and for your Birthday you can choose a special Pikachu, Eevie, Sylveon, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, or Glaceon all of who know the exclusive non-damaging move "Celebrate", they also got Free items such as a Weakness Policy, 12 Quick Balls, & Lucky Egg.

Then if you compare Black and White japan events to world events >.> it's like 10-20 world events Vs. up to 100+ japanese events

We got a Garchomp and Scisor as well.

Celebrate is also a horrible move. All it does is have your Pokemon wish you a Happy Birthday >.> Its basically Splash with congrats text.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    We got a Garchomp and Scisor as well.

Celebrate is also a horrible move. All it does is have your Pokemon wish you a Happy Birthday >.> Its basically Splash with congrats text.

Garchomp and Scisor but only if you bought pokemon x/y over a month after release and only at Walmart... While in Japan it was free to everyone. Unfortunately for alot of us. we had bought our Pokemon X&Y during the release month of October, so Walmart didn't have Garchomp or Scizor available for free in X or Y yet and Gamefreak nor walmart offered any way to get them if you bought the game before that promo or elsewhere..

Celebrate, useless or not, it's still attached to a free pokemon, neat, funny (especially to troll in Battle), and something we'll never experience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is-_5KzLgKM

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    Garchomp and Scisor but only if you bought pokemon x/y over a month after release and only at Walmart... While in Japan it was free to everyone. Unfortunately for alot of us. we had bought our Pokemon X&Y during the release month of October, so Walmart didn't have Garchomp or Scizor available for free in X or Y.

Celebrate, useless or not, it's still neat, funny (especially to troll in Battle), and something we'll never experience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is-_5KzLgKM
    Wow, an event that pretty much nobody outside of Japan could get? That Garchomp/Scizor event feels like a slap to the face for people who bought the game in October. (Pretty much everybody)

Years
    You don't need any event legend to complete it.
    That being said, with volcanion, diancie, and hoopa being eevent legends, it would not effect you getting the 4th plaque. I even went and caught every pkmn and had traded the missing ( even event ) to have a full national dex with every entry but have not unlocked any content that I wouldn't have even without the event legends ( Nome that I have discovered yet any who )

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017

Well we got stuff Japan didn't as well, not as much, but some: The Scizor and Garchomp from Wal Mart (Although there is literally NOTHING special about them, no special moves, no unobtainable items, not even their hidden abilities, they are simply lv 50 regular pokemon with nothing special about them) but keep in mind last gen we also got Shiny Dialga, Palkia and Giratina which Japan didn't get, Shiny Metagross and Meloetta and Keldeo (which I'm sure they got the shiny metagross and Meloetta and Keldeo previously, just not this year) https://www.serebii.net/events/2013.shtml so while there's definitely lots more that Japan gets that the rest of the world doesn't, we still get SOME stuff. On top of that, how many of those giveaways were at Pokemon Centers? There aren't even ANY pokemon centers in North America (unless you count Nintendo World which I think is in New York, but come on, that's not REALLY the same thing, it's a combo store as far as I can find) so honestly, it's simply a bigger market in Japan than anywhere else.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    Well we got stuff Japan didn't as well, not as much, but some: The Scizor and Garchomp from Wal Mart

Actually if you saw my reply above.. Anyone who got Corocoro magazine got Garchomp and anyone who visited a pokemon center were able to trade for a Scyther holdign a Metal Coat (in other words, Scizor).. unlike us who had to buy the game from Wal-Mart over a month after release (which most of us had already purchased the game over a month prior).. But yeah :\ the fact they are all free in Japan just by simply visiting a Pokemon Center, which are numerous in Japan (at least one in every major city) or by simply picking up an issue of Corocoro from anywhere essentially got those pokemon for free and not required to purchase a whole game for them :|

Here's the complete list of Gen VI Pokemon that Japan has received: https://projectpokemon.org/events/jp-VI.php

you can also see the Gen V releases as well on that website in comparison to the world.

Oh and another thing I overlooked.. the Inkay that they gave away for free over Wi-Fi also knows the exclusive move "Happy Hour" which doubles prize money given after a battle and can be Stacked with the amulet coin or luck incense such that the prize money will be quadrupled if both are used.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Actually if you saw my reply above.. Anyone who got Corocoro magazine got Garchomp and anyone who visited a pokemon center were able to trade for a Scyther holdign a Metal Coat (in other words, Scizor).. unlike us who had to buy the game from Wal-Mart over a month after release (which most of us had already purchased the game over a month prior).. But yeah :\ the fact they are all free in Japan just by simply visiting a Pokemon Center, which are numerous in Japan (at least one in every major city) or by simply picking up an issue of Corocoro from anywhere essentially got those pokemon for free and not required to purchase a whole game for them :|

Here's the complete list of Gen VI Pokemon that Japan has received: https://projectpokemon.org/events/jp-VI.php

you can also see the Gen V releases as well on that website in comparison to the world.

Oh and another thing I overlooked.. the Inkay that they gave away for free over Wi-Fi also knows the exclusive move "Happy Hour" which doubles prize money given after a battle and can be Stacked with the amulet coin or luck incense such that the prize money will be quadrupled if both are used.

Okay you quoted my sentence but you didn't finish reading it to get my point, the Scizor and Garchomp have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING special about them. They are special pokemon in the sence they were given away and that's them whatsoever. Scyther can be found in both games, Gible can be found in both games. Why is it such a slap in the face to people who bought the game a month before if there's nothing special about them?

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    Okay you quoted my sentence but you didn't finish reading it to get my point, the Scizor and Garchomp have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING special about them. They are special pokemon in the sence they were given away and that's them whatsoever. Scyther can be found in both games, Gible can be found in both games. Why is it such a slap in the face to people who bought the game a month before if there's nothing special about them?

Regardless if there's nothing special about these particular pokemon and can be acquired easily... the fact that they are free, rather than be required to buy a game to get them is nice.. Also the original poster who said it's a Slap in the Face was obviously referring to the fact that most of us had already purchased the game over a month prior to Walmart including that promo and offered absolutely no restitution to those of us who had already bought it, even if we had bought it from Walmart.

Free is always good. Just because they aren't "Special" doesn't mean they aren't special..
    Also the Japanese Garchomp included a better moveset with Draco Meteor (saving you the trouble of having to go to the Move Tutor), instead of Slash.

Also gotta pretend you had just gotten X&Y for the first time and are a new player.. I remember when I was first playing X&Y, I thought I'd never get a Scizor.. I didn't know where to find Scyther, didn't know where to find a Metal Coat, and didn't have anyone to trade with who I could trust to trade it back. Same goes with Garchomp..

You need to view these free Pokemon through the eyes of a New Player, not through the eyes of someone who knows how common they are.

I would have loved to have both Garchomp and Scizor on my team when I began my X&Y Adventure rather than only starting off with Chespin, Charmander, Fletchling, and Skiddo... Big Bad Tough Garchomp with Draco Meteor and Scizor with Iron Head would of just been epic... but only in Japan *sigh* plus having a choice of a free eveelution on my Bday would of been nice too :D!

But I would of really liked that Inkay with Happy Hour.. I am always going broke in X&Y due to the Daycare and not spending much time battling trainers.. So to have Inkay/Malamar wearing an amulet coin to quadruple my prize money would be great! i.e. 40,000 per battle instead of 10,000 against my rival in Kiloude City.

Back