• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News Forum

Blaze

Shine On~
Years
  • I am positive, I mean 100% sure someone would SPAM it if it was member open I mean if you want users to "post" news than make a wiki like BMGf did for BN.

And I mean this is something you have to mod *everyday* and that is asking a lot of people to do it 365/24/7 and with the size of PC that is near impossible.

However, there is a hack where you can have a *page* with RSS feeds (I will get the vb.org url if needed) that way you don't get SPAM and can just see the news neatly.

It would consist of 1-4 columns (depending on how many feeds you use) and it just gives headlines and the news. This way a user can click on the page if he wants to read the news, and you don't have to make a MOD have the hassle of losing/deleted SPAMMED or duplicate threads.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
  • There wouldn't be any more spam than there already is, which is normally taken care of quickly.

I mod at the BMG one, and it's not all that hard to delete the dupe threads every now and then.

You're really looking beyond the point of this.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Master Blaze said:
    I am positive, I mean 100% sure someone would SPAM it if it was member open I mean if you want users to "post" news than make a wiki like BMGf did for BN.
    The easiest way to get around that is just have post approval for the forum. If it's news, it'll show up, if not, it won't. o_o;

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
  • I am being the Devil's Adcovate because I believe this probably isn't the best way to go, though I think BMGf is an outstanding forum it isn't the same size/activity as PC (BMGf is more Pokemon as PC is more General/Misc).

Though I do believe this is a good idea (to have a news forum) I just don't think PC is the place that can really have it at this time. If anything I was saying we should implement a page with RSS feeds (which is a vB hack I had once installed) that way the users who want to view news *can*

That way everyone is happy and we don't have to give work to someone who doesn't want to do it.

aRedMoon

Years
  • And users that want to view news in a forum *can* click on that forum. And those that *don't* can just continue on to the OC section.

Jorge: That would be an ideal situation, but would require the mods to log into the ModCP more often, right?

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
  • JKaizer said:
    And users that want to view news in a forum *can* click on that forum. And those that *don't* can just continue on to the OC section.

Jorge: That would be an ideal situation, but would require the mods to log into the ModCP more often, right?

But we all know people like to post everywhere, and would possibly SPAM. I mean besides my idea would never make anyone worry and that way no one has to *ever* mod it.

And with my way, the staff can customize the page anyway they see fit.

aRedMoon

Years
  • With a forum, people would be able to reply, which would generate discussion. That is one of the main ideas of having such a forum, to report the news and generate discussion on it.

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
  • With a news page you can have people see the news, than if you really want to talk about it have it so people can make threads in Chit Chat Forums about the news, or it make it a sub-sub forum if you feel the need.

The attachment is of what it looks like when it is set up. PPN News Feed seems scrunched because I didn't customize it.

You can totally change the whole look of the page....

aRedMoon

Years
  • Meh.

If I'm correct, that loads the RSS feeds on every load of the page? If it does, that's a BIG strainer on the RSS server.

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
  • I don't believe it does, is there anyway you could find any proof so we could make sure? o_o

aRedMoon

Years
  • I don't know off the top of my head.

But seriously, that's not what PC needs. If anything, I think PC should have a forum. You're bringing this way off topic, and I would appreciate you either
    A) stop talking about that in this topic and make your own
    B) just stop talking about it in here

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Personally, I think that if we integrate news into PC, the forum is the better idea. It will most likely place less load on the server, and also allow for discussion, rather than just having the news "there".

And I guess I could be willing to mod it if you needed someone... it shouldn't be too hard =/

aRedMoon

Years
  • Okay, how about we try this out for a week or something? See how it works out, and if it fails, we can jsut scrap the idea?

Years
  • We have pokemon general. Yes, I that is filled with nonsense, but it's still pokemon general. For general discussions about anything pokemon. If a member really wanted to talk about a certain news post they could make the thread. If it really came down to it we could split general somehow, wether it be a pokemon polls sub, or news. We are really pokemon anymore though. Take away our pokemon forums and we'd still be very popular. I don't think it would hurt nor benifit PC in any way (besides the waste of space).

aRedMoon

Years
  • That's the thing, you get new members from Pokemon sites. The forum should be more Pokemon centered.

And most news won't make it because people are too lazy. There is never a thread on PC about the new AG/PAB titles, which really surprises me. Having a news forum that reports on these things can generate some speculation - AKA discussion.

Kurosaki

I don't really think adding a news forum will bring more Pokemon related discussion, but I guess it's worth a shot. I'd rather a forum than an RSS thingy...ma...bob.

Years
  • That could be quite possible. I have an idea, why don't you start discussions about what you want to see in this "news" forum and if they catch then we can take it under serious discussion. Pokemon General fits this idea, wether or not the people are lazy.

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
  • JKaizer said:
    That's the thing, you get new members from Pokemon sites. The forum should be more Pokemon centered.

And most news won't make it because people are too lazy. There is never a thread on PC about the new AG/PAB titles, which really surprises me. Having a news forum that reports on these things can generate some speculation - AKA discussion.

Make a poll, see what the *people* want. If this is to be unified community where everyone is equal (points to your thread) than see if the people want that, eh

aRedMoon

Years
  • All the articles posted on PN, BN, and PPN. Simple as that. ^^;;

Thanks David~

Edit: Richie, as I said earlier, a poll won't do justice for this.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Probably should have said it before, but it does sound like a good idea. If we give the area mods or have the uppers approve posts, it wouldn't be that much extra work for us. Votes wouldn't really help here since half the members wouldn't care.

Back