• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknamed Pokemon

Mosbyyy

MEGA EVO OP!!!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 30, 2017
I have 2 Braviary with 2 nickname
"Freedom!!!"
and
"Muricaaaaa!!!"
it's kinda fun, I guess
oh, and a Steelix with nickname "Helix"

strider9

PKMN TRAINER
Years
My favorite nickname for a Tyrogue i IV and EV trained with 3 egg moves is Zatoichi after the Blind Swordsman. I thought Jubei would be good as well(Ninja Scroll) his head kinda looks like he's wearing a straw hat... But, I ultimately settled with Zatoichi.

D34TH4NG31

[DA]
Years
I traded an old event Celebi that was like level 40 for a perfect IV shiny Mew. Which is really good, since I just got another Celebi from the event again. But the Mew was named Meow. Which kinda makes me cringe at times, but tbh it's not that bad. It's just if you love a Pokemon, like my Mew, it sucks to get a good one, with a horrible name.

Years
I recently been getting annoyed with all the Zigzagoons and Magikarp over the Wonder Trade. <_<;

So I recently and now permanently will nickname all my breeded 5 IV's pokemon regular words like Buddy or Guy or Friend. Sometimes I like to be ghetto with it and name my female pokemon like Zulaka, , Giggy Goo, and my favorite Bescuuuse Me (Hahaha Game Grumps ftw) I want people think "Why on earth did this person nickname that way?"

Well... d-bag... you traded me a god damn Zigzagoon. What's not to think about?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 11, 2017
I'm a Nuzlocker, so often I nickname everything I catch by habit, it's rare for me to not nickname a Pokemon. Whenever I get a traded Pokemon with a nickname I just change it with the Name-rater and give it a better one.

THE most important rule of a Nuzlocke haha. When Kermit the Greninja went down, I shed a tear.

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 20, 2016
If I nickname them myself, it means I love that pokemon and would like them to have a nickname that means something to me. I've gotten so many named "Poopy" or etc. I even got one that they named the Bulbasaur Venasaur... It was quite entertaining. If it's something cute and creative i'm all for it. But if it's lame and just makes me feel ashamed to own the pokemon i'm sending it out via WT as soon as I can. I've gotten some with names that i've gone in and released the pokemon like "corrupted" and so on for like wingul, I know that it could terrify someone to get one with that type of name and that's just not what i'm about.

Years
I take nicknames very seriously. To the point where I can spend minutes trying to think of a suitable one, if it's a pokemon I'm going to be using a lot. To me, if it doesn't have a nickname, I can't connect with it. So I'd rather have a lame nickname than none at all. Except if it's just for my pokedex.

I'm a Nuzlocker, so often I nickname everything I catch by habit, it's rare for me to not nickname a Pokemon. Whenever I get a traded Pokemon with a nickname I just change it with the Name-rater and give it a better one.

But wait, you can't just change a traded pokemon's nickname right? Right??

IsaacTwentySeven

Shiny Electivire
Years
My opinion has changed since my last post here a few weeks ago - I now try to nickname all of the Pokemon I will use for any purpose with something clever, cool, or funny - mostly for battling and laughing with friends.

deerui

pixie <3
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 23, 2016
my pokemon are rarely nicknamed. I recently restarted AS and, my Blaziken named Azula, Linone named Rigby, and my Poocheyena named Poochin are the first ever pokemon i've ever nicknamed when playing any of the games. If theyre from trades, it's fine, but I hate when I choose dumb names, My torchic was originally nicknamed "Skoal" until i reached the name rater. And then, she was named Azula from A:TLA

Years
I dislike receiving nicknamed Pokemon in trades... Whenever I make trades, I make sure I return it to itself default name (not that I ever nickname it in the first place).

Of course, I may think like that because I've received one too many Wonder Traded Pokemon with inappropriate nicknames...

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I'm fine with nicknames as long as they are clean and proper (no symbols or unnecessary capitalization). I once got a 5 IV Dratini called "#GZArmy" from a Wonder Trade in Pokemon Y. Even though he has good stats, I refused to train him because of his nickname. It was only when I transferred it to my OR that I decided to train it. I still don't want to use him in WiFi Battles though.

Nyoxios

Vestige
Years
I dislike nicknames and kinda despise the Japanese and Korean names, simply because I can't understand it.

I only kept a Vivillon and a Jolteon with their original French name. Voltali and Prismillon are not terrible names..

Years
Just for being evil, if I breed a Pokémon and it happens that its first form begins with an upper case 'i' I am sure to change it to a lower case 'L' and summarily if a Pokémon has a lowercase 'L' in its name I be sure to make it an uppercase 'i'. I'm the worst kind of person lol.

Syvelocin

Eevee Breeder
Years
I only nickname personal-use pokémon. Especially with mons I spent ages planning and breeding because I feel like it creates a stronger "bond" and that pokémon gains sentimental value. I don't mind getting nicknames so long as they aren't going into one of my collections. It's devastating to get a new shiny through wonder trade with a good IV spread and have a sex joke in the nickname or something. It's happened to me...

Back