• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Time Guardian

Requiem of the 13th Hour
    Years
    Ever since Silver, I started nicknaming everyone. Usually naming them off of characters that I like from other games, or coming up with something really fitting for them. The nicknames for certain ones often change as I find better names for them, though, but these have usually been the ones I often use/ my favorites as of now.

Dialga - Aeon
    Xatu - Itsuki
    Suicune - Eusine
    Steelix - SolidSnake
    Nidoking - Ephraim
    Nidoqueen - Erika
    Typhlosion - Eliwood
    Charizard - Siegfried
    Salamence - Temeraire
    Tyranitar - Galamoth
    Kadabra - Silver
    Houndoom - Cornell
    Skarmory - VicViper

That's just to name a few, though. :/ About the only one that doesn't follow my theme of naming them after things from Video Games/Books/Show is Gyarados, whom I nicknamed Magikrap. (don't ask why honestly....)

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2010
    I usually nickname them with themes, for example, throughout my recent LG save I had an Italian theme, I nicknamed my Hitmonlee 'Armando' which in Italian means 'of the army' because Hitmonlee is a fighter. In my Ruby game next I'm having a Spanish theme.

Years
    I used to never nickname my Pokémon. Ever since I started EVing and worrying about stats and natures though I have started to see them as more special. That's why I name them all after members of boy bands so it's like each team is a supergroup of N'SYNC or Backstreet boys. I'm telling the truth.

The S

The Reverend
    Years
    I usually go with whatever pops into my head. Sometimes it's clever, sometimes... not so much.

For example, this is my current Platinum team:

Pinky (Shellos)
    Xuanwu (Torterra)
    Happyshell (Togetic)
    Birdpoop (Staravia)
    Faultline (Graveler)
    Kimba (Luxio)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Sometimes I nickname a pokemon, usually if a PokeSpe character owns one with a nickname. I did when I first started on Emerald in '05, for example, my team was "Torchinatr","Gullywings","Ziggyzoom","Tads", and "Shmish".

I never nickname legendaries, however (except Phione). I used to re-name them so they were grammatically correct e.g.

HO-OH became Ho-oh.
    HONCHKROW became Honchkrow.

However, I gave up on that, as it was awkward when you can't keep returning to the name rater when they evolve, so now I just leave their names.

But, if B/W turns out to stop capitalising names, I'll nickname all my fully-evolved pokemon to be grammatically correct before sending them over with the PokeShifter.

bOxieLiciOus

not here 4 lipsyncing
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2011
    i actually love to be creative since being creative is improving your creativity thru stuff, so i change their names, -xoxo

Years
    I do nickname some pokemon (my mains) because it makes me feel that they're more independent instead of all of that one species being exactly the same. I normally leave them as their name until I think of a good name, then I go to the name rater. I do occasionally get some cool nicknames like Zamm!! for my Swampert and TehBeast?! for my Alakazam.

WilowWisp

Lurking in the shadows.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2010
    I love to nickname my pokemon. I would like to name every one I catch, but some times I'm just in a hurry and don't bother.

I think pokemon deserved to be nicknamed. I feel closer to my pokemon that way, and it makes for a great time on the game. If a name strikes me and seems to fit a pokemon, I will name it that. Or a name that fits their demeanor/personality, I go with it. I love to name them after minerals/plants.

Jypsom - Feraligatr
    Shade - Haunter
    Gent - Noctowl
    Venom - Weepinbell
    Pyrros - Magmar
    ...Rocky - (I actually got this Onix from an in-game trade and he just stayed on the team. I hate this name and I wish I could change it.)

My extended party:
    Jet - Lanturn
    Glacier - Snorunt
    Morose - Murkrow
    Scion - Scyther

I'm going to start naming them more often and to get a little more creative with it.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    I normally only nickname Pokemon that I actually plan on using.

Sometimes I name Pokemon after what they're based on...
    Meowth: Maneki (from Maneki Neko)
    Dunsparce: Noko (from Tsuchinoko)

Sometimes I name them something that their original names remind me of...
    Alakazam: Magician
    Clefable: Fairytale

Somtimes I name them with Japanese words that relate to their element...
    Froslass: Mizore (sleet)
    Mamoswine: Itsuru (frost)

Sometimes I name them after my pets...
    Arcanine: Pan
    Furret: Cali

In the past, I even named them after certain feelings I had for them...
    Ho-oh: Love

Gundisalvus Kuno

Solving Problems Since 1999
    Years
    I don't like to nickname pokemon. Sometimes, I decide before restarting a game that I will nickname everything I catch on that run, but when I give them names, I get it from a random name generator so they are always very interesting and different.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I name my Pokemon after a person that relates to them, something that that relates to the Pokemon itself, or something that relates to that individual Pokemon. For example, I named a female Caterpie Misty, I named an Aipom Slingshot (I think you see what I was aiming at) and I named my Lugia, the very same Lugia that took over 120 attempts to catch and 4 resets because it either KO'd my entire team or I got it down to using struggle, Navi (because it was annoying) and I call almost every random egg Pokemon (Togepi, Happiny, ect) Burdon because I had to carry around its egg forever just to get a Pokemon I wont use.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2010
    I don't nickname my Pokemon, it actually annoys me when people do for some reason.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    I usually only nickname the pokemon in my team. The names are generally from movies I.E an Alakazam named Spock or books I.E Haunter named Lestat , Video Games I.E a Machamp named Kratos. or Mythology I.E a steelix named Atlas or Gaia depending on gender.

Nohr

Long-time Trainer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    I'm not huge on Nicknaming pokemon, but since my Girlfriend has gotten into Pokemon, she names EVERY single pokemon she catches, whether she uses it on her team or not. Some my favourite names of hers are...

Female Quagsire named Plum

Female Sneasel (who she refuses to evolve because she thinks Weavile is "ugly") named Daisy

Staraptor named Beak

Bellossom named Blossom (Original, eh? She named the oddish that, though, before she even know about Bellossom)

and My favourite of all, her Infernape named Chimmy.

Sometimes I like to name pokemon things that make me laugh. Like my level 100 Snorlax named Chad. Or my Tyranitar named Cecil.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I never used to nickname, now I'll nickname most Pokemon whether I plan to use them or not. My names are usually at least somewhat related to their type or what they're based on, sometimes when I'm at a loss I'll just give them a random name like 'Todd' or something. And then sometimes I'll give them a name from a random piece of literature or something I enjoy (like Smaug the Charizard, or Lelouch the Krabby).

My current nicknamed teams are:
    HeartGold: Roosevelt (Teddiursa), Sauropod (Bayleef), Lelouch (Krabby), Blitzkrieg (Elekid), Behemoth (Larvitar), Quetzal (Natu)

Platinum: Criss (Alakazam), Lexus (Luxray), Unihorn (Rhyperior), Bonaparte (Empoleon), Arsonist (Magmortar), Hawx (Staraptor)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back