• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Years
  • I never plan ahead for nicknames, I do it on the spot. They always suck too, im so unoriginal for nicknames.

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
    Years
  • I normally name my team based on some sort of mythology as well. I sometimes name them after Egyptian gods, (Jesus they have a good many of 'em Around 15 or twenty last time I checked.), Norse gods, hindu gods, Greek gods, legendary creatures like hydras, Cerberus, medusa, things like that.

Anything in any mythology is fair game for my nicknames usually.

Though I also just sometimes name them something based on their type. Like Gengar I often name 'Nightmare' or 'Shadow' Or some other variation of dark sounding names.

I used to never nickname my pokemon until i thought about naming my empoleon " poseidon" after that i started nicknaming everything to thier respective looks or myths
    Ex.
    Gallade- Excaliber

Frazzevous

Impulsive lil' kitty
    Years
  • I like nicknaming my Pokemon whenever I can. I think it's fun and it gives individuality to them or something. Sometimes I use real, fitting words; in other times, I brainstorm to be more original. xD

Xatumi

Mech-Zoid
    Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2014
    One nickname I always use (someone of a pun)

Metagross : Optimus

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen yesterday
    Normally I don't have planned nicknames but I always nickname cyndaquil: Cyrus.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • I don't have a trend when it comes to nicknaming my pokemon, for example Lucario is Pablo and Whimsicott is Gobelin, goblins and spanish names don't really go together in anyway... basically I name them depending on what they look like, came from, or ability

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Honestly, while I plan out my teams (mostly) well in advance of any game... usually I totally forget to think about nicknames until the nickname screen is staring me in the face and I have to hurry up and choose or else I can't continue with the game. x_X I really should start thinking up nicknames, or at least a theme for my team, before I get into the game, especially if I'm planning ahead anyway. But I guess I do kind of like having spur-of-the-moment nicknames. Worst case, if I don't like how one ends up fitting a Pokemon, I can go change it first chance I get.

I do try to nickname my Pokemon differently every time, though. I get pretty attached to my Pokemon and it's nice to be able to keep all my different Cherrim separate. So while it would be much easier to nickname everything I reuse the same name (I used to do that with every Pichu I had--it'd be Lightning), I prefer individuality. It's the whole point of a nickname.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I usually don't have any real nickname patterns. In past games I had really dumb nicknames but in White I named my Emboar Eminem so that's my current limit to creativity. For the most part I just nickname DW Pokemon in B/W so I know they're DW and don't bother with the rest.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2014
    Whenever I get a stupid-looking but powerful Pokemon I am always sure to give it a demeaning, but clever, nickname, just so it knows its place. Other than that I usually don't name my Pokemon, because I don't think its necessary. Yeah sure there might be other Kadabra's or whatever in the game, but I don't need to nickname mine because its MY Kadabra. If that makes any sense

Years
  • I usually nickname them whatever seems most fitting...
    My current White Team: Wigglytuff-Steve
    Volcarona-Steve2
    Conkeldurr-Derpderr
    Metagross-Windows7
    Cofagrigus-Phantomb
    Solrock-Fluffykins :)

Years
  • Gonna start a team , breed and hatch, and give them names of my favorite celebrities/Characters = LadyGaga, Santana ( Naya Rivera from glee) , Nicholis , Karofsky ( Bully from glee Max Adler ) Miley :) ya...Im weird like that

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I normally don't have a plan for nicknames. I usually just come up with stupid puns that are related to the Pokemon or whatever seems fitting. For example I named a Marill in Sapphire "Streep" obviously named after the famous actress Meryl Streep. I might want to change that since it's a Azumarill now.
    Maybe in Black2 and White 2 I'll have a theme for my nicknames like clouds or mythology or science/astrological terms. I have an Absol in Sapphire named Solstice so why not.

Last edited:

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
    Years
  • I usually name my Pokemon after my friends or people I admire, or just names that I find attractive, or further names that fit the Pokemon themselves if none of my previous categories match them to be used.

Some Names I have Used:

Cyril
    Dreg
    Jessamine
    Inori
    Kiva
    Kassyk
    Glum
    Lovette

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I name them after colors (sometimes)

Firered Team
    Bulbasaur: Green
    Pikachu: Yellow

or characters from a book I helped a friend write

Staraptor: Songbreeze
    Infernape: Seth
    Lucario: Aiedail

whatever comes to mind

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    My brother once convinced me to nickname my team after people who were in Big Brother.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2012
    oh yes! i love nicknaming my pokemon. it makes me feel more possessive of them. usually, i name the pokemon on my team but i also name the ones i catch depending on my level of interest towards that pokemon.

in my current white run (which i'm not really putting much effort into anymore, since i've finally gotten my soulsilver game), my pokemon are named after pop artists.

i named tepig beyonce mainly because i genuinely love beyonce (not to be mistaken for describing beyonce as a form of live poultry, no ok go away) and tepig is kind of the strongest pokemon in my party as of now. i also have a blitzle named j.lo because jennifer lopez doesn't fit in the blank spaces, but she's so useless so i had to leave her in the pc to be replaced by a sandile named jay-z.

also, in my platinum game, all my pokemon are named after furniture except turtwig.

also also!! in my soulsilver game, my cyndaquil is named wiener BECAUSE COME ON

Years
  • I've never had any planned nicknames for any Pokemon, but usually before I start playing I'll have a theme in mind for the nicknames I'm going to use (most recent I can think of was using anagrams).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I sometimes nickname my main party Pokemon, but it's usually something I come up with on the spot when I do. And since more often than not I just give them generic boy/girl names, it's not like I need to go through lots of thought or planning for them anyway. I once had a scheme to name them after cars, but that quickly fell by the wayside. I ran out of car names that would fit in the 10-character name limit xD

Back