• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
    Years
    So, I know that a lot of people are planning their team, but has anyone planned nicknames? I know some people don't nickname, but I do, and I am curious about other people's.

As for me, my starter, Oshawott, is going to be named...hmm...I have no idea! Yeah, that's a good name. But if I get any dogs their name is Sirius. Seleni if they're girls.(No, they will not all have the same name.)

Have Fun!

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Im planning on naming my team after planets, I think that would be a cool theme. I actually want to try naming all my Pokemon, and continue the space theme past my main team, it'll be fun because I may need to look up names which is interesting.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    I always wanted to name a Tedpig, Warpig.

I don't know though. Lately I've been naming my team in relation to Norse Mythology. My current team in Pt has a Pikachu named Mjolnir (Thor's hammer) and a Sudowoodo named Ygg, short for Yggdrasil (The 'World Tree')

Lol might be kinda nerdy, but I really find norse mythology interesting, and my people are from Norway

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
    Years
    That's a cool idea, Killjoy. Am debating naming my starter Zaphod, but I'm not sure I can put up with that name all game. Last time, I used that one for my Krookodile.

I typically name my Poke's after characters, real or made up by me, or give them names that suit them. For example, Giratina was really annoying to catch, so I named him after this really annoying person I knew...well that was weird, but I do stuffl like that.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'm not really creative with nicknames, my signature shows the ones I've made up for my team in Soul Silver but most of the time I just stick with their normal names.

Kota889

He who dwells in the Shadows
    Years
    I normally name my team based on some sort of mythology as well. I sometimes name them after Egyptian gods, (Jesus they have a good many of 'em Around 15 or twenty last time I checked.), Norse gods, hindu gods, Greek gods, legendary creatures like hydras, Cerberus, medusa, things like that.

Anything in any mythology is fair game for my nicknames usually.

Though I also just sometimes name them something based on their type. Like Gengar I often name 'Nightmare' or 'Shadow' Or some other variation of dark sounding names.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
    I literally name every single Pokémon I catch. It makes the game more personal to me. :-)
    In both Black and White I had Stunfisks named Suicide... I think I'm doing that again.. XD\\

I don't have teams picked out, unfortunately, so I don't have any ideas for nicknames. D:

Years
    I was never a fan of naming my Pokemon, I don't know why but I just prefer them to have their original games!

So, I haven't got any names planned.​

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I was never a fan of naming my Pokemon, I don't know why but I just prefer them to have their original games!

So, I haven't got any names planned.​
    This.

I've never been big on nicknaming my Pokémon, and if I did, I'd still call them by their original names anyway. So, I haven't planned any special nicknames.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    A lot of the time, I like using 'themed teams' (usually based on video game or TV characters) with matching nicknames, so for me to have decided on what nicknames to use, I'd first have to choose what Pokemon I'll be using. Outside of that, I don't give nicknames to any other Pokemon I catch. Unless I'm using an HM slave, and I can find a name that fits within the theme...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Similar to Fabio and Aerilyn, I've never been one to name any critters... but that might change with the purchase of BW2. Having said that, I certainly haven't thought of any names this far in advance; I imagine they'll just end up coming on the spur of the moment.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I haven't though of nicknames yet...but I will definetly name them as I have done so for the previous two generations and BW.
    I kind of wanna name my Starter Ganon but I think that's common...

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
    Years
    I'll have to come up with a few on the spot, but I'm pretty much set on naming Growlithe after one of my dogs. Doak if male and Morgan if female.

Lateon

The Eon Follower
    Years
    I usually just nickname my starters, or if I find a pokemon I really like. I have a snivy name Norbert, a Pikachu named Whit, a Blaziken named Flame, a Latias named Pheobe, and an Absol named Jetta. Oh, and a Espeon named Luna. But that's it. Haven't really bothered to name anything else.

Although one Sapphire playthrough I did name everything I caught... wasn't that fun though.

On topic, I plan on a Snivy named Milfred or Millie this time around. No reason why, but I'm hoping for that girl so I don't have to name the boy Milfred.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Since this is pretty generic, and all the past "Nicknames" thread were here in the Gaming Central, I'll move this thread here.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Never consistently named my Pokémon, only junk but those were never serious haha. Or if there is a Pokémon I encounter during a laugh I was having with my friend or something I get attached to it because it has a memory and I name it related to the situation lol, sometimes.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
    I name most of the Pokemon that I really like. Since I've starting black I have started name my pokemon their name backwards. Usually when I nickname my pokemon its after my favorite colors or favorite things

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I name all my Pokemon. I cannot stand generic names, unless I really REALLY just can't think of one, or if it's a filler Pokemon to be traded away as junk. Then I might not name it, or I'll name it something like "yeah" "some" "what" etc. But the only Pokemon I don't name are my Japanese RNG'd Pokemon. Everything else has to have a name haha.

Years
    I used to never name my pokemon, the idea repulsed me. But... it gradually warmed up to me and now I name all the pokes I capture. My team is usually named after characters from things, while pokedex fillers are named after whatever pops into my head. Since I'm gonna do my best to NOT plan my team like I always do, I don't have any nicknames thought up for BW2.

Back