• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Nicknaming Pokemon???

Should I Nickname my Pokemon?

• Yeah, it's fun

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • No, It sucks

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2007
    Hi, I've started a new game on my Fire Red, and I never used to nickname Pokemon. But then I got to thinking that it might be fun. So I want to know who recommends nicknaming.

Shadowz

Among the Shadowz...
    Years
    Nicknaming is a way to express your feelings to your Pokemon (or Bad feelings :\) I always nickname my Pokemon but not cool names Example:

Pokemon: Monferno
    Nickname: Blaze

Lol thats not thinking outside the box is it?

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    It's quite fun. You can give them normal, funny, ironic nickanames...oh, the fun! lol...your choice though

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    i desided to nickname all my pokemon in FR:

Wartortle (F) Misty
    Pikachu (M) Surge
    Nidorino (M) Koga
    Growlith (M) Blaine
    Onix (M) Brock
    Kadabra (F) Sabrina

Pokemon Breeder Zoria

Normal Type Master
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2008
    Yes, I love giving my pokemon nicknames and I reccomend it. I especially love to do it with level 100 nicely-EV-trained-with-a-good-moveset Shinies. But I'm not oh-so original. My gastly is Violet. I mean, Violet?

~{Metal~Ridley}~

Corrupted........
    Years
    i only nick name pokemon if its from an egg like the time the travelar gave me an egg i walked for like an hour and a hapiny came out i was soo disapointed that i nicknamed him "clown head"

Leonardo Kabarudon

Coração de estudante
    Years
    When i started to play a nicknamed the pokémons, then i stopped to nickname them. One day i continued to nickname (=P).
    I ever thinks a lot when i am going to choose a name, how they are my children (=P again).
    When i will have my DS with D/P i will nickname my piplup Happy Feet.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    I totally reccommend nicknaming. They give your pokemon a sense of originality.

I've always named my pokemon usually a human name starting with the first letter of their name (Ashleigh the Absol), an item or move that represents them best (Crater the Golem, Slash the Sandslash) or a Japanese Name (Suki the Pikachu).

Dyegov

Spider Pig!
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Apr 1, 2008
    I never ever do that. I think it's mainly because it keeps the same Nickname even when it evolves, when normally the name would change to the new Pokemon's name. Anyway, I don't like doing it, and I never do it ;)

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    I usually knickname my pokemon something really special. Like when I have a water pokemon I intend to keep in my party I name him Leviathan after the water beast leviathan. Also when I have a flying pokemon that I want to keep in my party I name him Harbinger for some reason.

I usually knickname my pokemon when I am in a very good mood. When I have writer's block or am in a bad mood I keep their names. I would recommend naming your pokemon when your in a very good mood since good names will come naturally

oreobytes

super de duper!
    Years
    yea i usually nickname my pokemon! it's fun, sometimes i don't though when i can't find a fitting name....some of mine i nickname their species name but in another language too (i did that with my crobat, Nostenfur but i forgot if it was french or german....)

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
    Years
    I'd say go for nicknaming. I nickname just about every Pokemon I catch because its fun and shows your love for it. (Name Rater speech) Sometimes though, I just name Pokemon by what they are or their type. Sometimes even as I view them.
    Nicknaming is really just a fundamental though.

Oni Link

~Previously On1 LiN|<~
    Years
    I try to nickname Pokemon when I can, but I always end up struggling to think of one and leaving it as it is.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    It's fun to name Pokemon, but usualy I only name my starter. I named my femal Torchic Tiki. Cute?

Back