• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS discussion

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Also, this is not good news for people with only one eye. Maybe there will be an option to turn off the 3D because if you only have one eye the screen would just be blurry and not nice at all.

To be honest, I think that in the future most things will be in 3D. This isn't so much a gimmick as it is moving with the times.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    Damn! More money I'll have to shell out! Can't we have just DS for a little longer nintendo?! I only just got my wii!!

Years
    If I remember correctly, the way Real 3D makes their 3D glasses is by using polarized lenses. Maybe Nintendo is going to use an "bubbled" display with a polarized filter overlay? If so, people with only one eye could possibly see the 3D effects.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Porygon-Z, so what'd the next DS have to do with the Wii? I'm sure lots of people had a GBA and not a GCN.

I don't think it's quite that kind of 3D, Jolene. Our analogies to the Virtual Boy are a little off in that regard.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    Porygon-Z, so what'd the next DS have to do with the Wii? I'm sure lots of people had a GBA and not a GCN.

I don't think it's quite that kind of 3D, Jolene. Our analogies to the Virtual Boy are a little off in that regard.

Well usually these things go hand in hand y'know, when it comes to pokemon and compatability.

N64 - Gameboy
    Gamecube - Gameboy Advance
    Wii - DS

I fear the pattern! :S

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Great, that means if gen V is released on this thing, I have to get it or I'll feel like a nub. -_- Pokemon can't be 3D. When I think of portable games, I think of something nice, slim, and easy to carry around, pretty much the definition of portable. I don't know why, but something about this idea just seems bulky and if 3D glasses are involved, we're gonna look like arses with those things on in public.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Great, that means if gen V is released on this thing, I have to get it or I'll feel like a nub. -_- Pokemon can't be 3D. When I think of portable games, I think of something nice, slim, and easy to carry around, pretty much the definition of portable. I don't know why, but something about this idea just seems bulky and if 3D glasses are involved, we're gonna look like arses with those things on in public.
    There are NO 3D glasses involved

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    My god, another one..? D:

They at least need to stop calling them 'DS', and move onto another name.

I mean, that's like what? four of them now? By the time they're finished, there will be 8 different version of the original DS. laklsdfj /rant

I see no point in a 3D DS.. although once more info is released, and we see what games they'll make for it/what the games will be like, my opinion might shift.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010

I mean, that's like what? four of them now? By the time they're finished, there will be 8 different version of the original DS. laklsdfj /rant

I see no point in a 3D DS.. although once more info is released, and we see what games they'll make for it/what the games will be like, my opinion might shift.

Well as long as it has two screens, I don't see why the shouldn't be called a DS.
    After all that's what it stands for. =)

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    After all that's what it stands for. =)

That or "Developer's System". ;)

And why does have to be bulky? iPhone says hi. I don't expect something on that scale, but there's no reason for it to be huge.

Is there information about whether or not it's a clamshell design?

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    Lets not jump to any conclusions. After all, we have very little information on the new handheld console.
    And if it is to be a clamshell design, I wouldn't be surprised. It is a good design to keep the screens protected from dust and scratches and stuff like that.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years

O_o

If it's a successor to the DS and not just another spin-off or side release then it's still a DS. Just as the Game Boy Colour and Game Boy Advance were successors to the Game Boy. Or the PlatStation 2 and PlayStation 3 to the PlayStation. People don't seem to get confused there.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I think that the 3D will work by tilting the console.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    ....Crap.
    What Is The Point? Because, First It's A Plain DS, then It's DS Lite (Which Is Still Good), Then DSi (What Is The Point?), And Now 3DS.
    ....Someone Shoot Me Now.....

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    ....Crap.
    What Is The Point? Because, First It's A Plain DS, then It's DS Lite (Which Is Still Good), Then DSi (What Is The Point?), And Now 3DS.
    ....Someone Shoot Me Now.....

Sure, but it looks like it's still happening, unless of course one of y'all has the last name Iwata.

Little observation here, isn't this the system that's getting the Tegra processor? It means, for those who missed the articles, that you could be seeing graphics superior to the Wii, while still having a battery life. While it's no PSP, it's a major improvement.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Where do these rumors about it using Tegra come from? People are making stuff up.

But for the record? Tegra wouldn't make it "graphically superior to the Wii"; Tegra is integrated garbage.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I never heard of the Tegra processor.
    Where did you hear about it?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Where do these rumors about it using Tegra come from? People are making stuff up.

But for the record? Tegra wouldn't make it "graphically superior to the Wii"; Tegra is integrated garbage.
    I believe they came from:

https://www.brightsideofnews.com/ne...a-wins-contract-for-next-gen-nintendo-ds.aspx

https://www.engadget.com/2009/10/13/nvidia-tegra-to-power-next-gen-nintendo-ds/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ds2-vs-psp2-article

But, still rumours all the same.

---

I'm a little confused about why people are upset about "another DS" or that "DS" is in the name. I'm looking at it as the DS2, not another rerelease like the lite, DSi, and XL (which really...if you bought all of those when you didn't need to, that's your problem).

Sony has the original release and releases for the PlayStation, PS2, and PS3 but people were able to discern which were legitimate successors despite all of them having "PlayStation" in the title.

The document says "going to be the new portable game machine to succeed the Nintendo DS series"

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Nintendo using something gimmicky?

THIS IS ABSURD, THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT BRING SOLID GAMES AND IDEAS THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRETY OF THIS GEN. NOW THEY BRING OUT SOMETHING GIMMICKY? HOW DARE THEY?

Just joking, this is totally like Nintendo. I sense a waste of money coming.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010

Pretty much any "news article" with a ? in the title should be instantly dismissed, lulz.

I'm a little confused about why people are upset about "another DS" or that "DS" is in the name. I'm looking at it as the DS2, not another rerelease like the lite, DSi, and XL (which really...if you bought all of those when you didn't need to, that's your problem).

Sony has the original release and releases for the PlayStation, PS2, and PS3 but people were able to discern which were legitimate successors despite all of them having "PlayStation" in the title.

The document says "going to be the new portable game machine to succeed the Nintendo DS series"
    Nintendo also claimed the "Gameboy Color" was the successor to the Gameboy, and that the DS Lite and DSi are successors to the DS..

Back