• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS discussion

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    this is amazing. Im not going to get too excited but let us just imagine what they can do with the Pokemon franchise on this system... I probably won't be getting one right away though, as they never have cute colors with the first wave. Anyway, 3D, Wifi, and a mic all in one sounds good to me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    *Yawn*
    Wake me up when there's a true successor to the DS/Gameboy and not another spin-off like the DSi and this thing.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    *Yawn*
    Wake me up when there's a true successor to the DS/Gameboy and not another spin-off like the DSi and this thing.

This is that: a new handheld console.

Also, didn't someone from Game Freak confirm that the console has an accelerometer?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yeah, thats new and impressive and everything but it is not worth introducing an entire new system over it, unless they can really find a way to implement it to all the titles on the system.

NotoriouzElmo

Armed and Dangerious :)
    Years
    idt they wud release a new system with just that kinda of stuff and call it 3d cuz they cudda just dropped it like in 3 months if they already know how to do that, they're gonna drop it later like in 2011 or maybe late 2010

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    As Bianca Paragon said, this is very Virtual Boy like.

And quite frankly...I don't see the appeal. It might be an interesting gimmick for the first ten minutes and then it'll get lame. This isn't actually 3D. I should have to move my head or the DS to see more.

I'm imagining lots of "hidden based on perspective" aspects like we saw in Super Paper Mario. Which was stupid. But, Nintendo must something we don't; unless of course they are going for the Virtual Boy route XD

At least Wii and DS were new control methods. I don't understand this. At least it will be more powerful and graphically impressive than the current DS lineup. Feel less like another DS spinoff.

This may give a neat effect to games with a similar viewpoint to the DS Pokemon titles.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I don't think, even after all these years, that the DS has outstayed it's welcome. They could probably juice it for another year or so and still be in good shape. After all, it prints money. But, if this has anything to do with "New Pokemon Title", going by the DSi example they have now, things could indeed get interesting.

Years
    I really don't think we should already be saying "this is going to be stupid" or "it's going to be too gimicky" quite yet. For one, this is just an anouncement. No hardware has been shown off, which means we don't even know how it's going to work. We don't know exactly what's going to be pushing the 3D, what kind of screen filter thay will be using (if one at all), nothing is known about how it's going to work.

But anyway, this will be interesting, seeing as though there have also been rumors of motion-sensing capability. Methinks and Elebits-like game involving motion and perspective will be in the works at some point.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Damn. Back to the Emulators. Again. Why can't it at least support GBA? Gosh. I'm happy with my DSlite and my Laptop right now, thanks nintendo.

It's a business strategy known as "phasing out". They're done with something, so they stop making it. DSi probably marked the end of GBA goodies in DS games.

Last edited:
    Years
    No, actually, they aren't losing any profits. For one, the GBA slot would add to the overall price of the console, and decrease the profit margin. They would have to have a team working on GBA compatibility mode, whether it be through emulation or direct use of hardware. Then, they would have to actually include the slot itself, and possibly the ARM7TDMI processor (if aiming for compatibility on the hardware level). While true, in production it would only cost a few dollars, including those items adds to the production time of each unit (which, in turn, adds to the cost of the console). But besides the hardware side, Nintendo isn't losing profits over GBA games. They stopped production of said games, and earned as much money as they could off of them already. While true, they could collect royalties and fines for pirates, they aren't losing any money.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Enough with the GBA stuff. If you have GBA cartridges you want to play, chances are you have GBA or SP or micro to play them with or even the original DS or the lite to play them with.

The GBA came out in 2001! By the time the 3DS launches it'll probably be 2011. So, give it a rest. That ship has sailed. Do want the the Wii's successor to be able to read Nintendo 64 cartridges?

Back