• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Nintendo Switch turns 3 years old today!

pkmin3033

Nintendo's current generation system turns 3 years old today! Since its release, the Switch has sold over 52 million units worldwide and about twice that many drifting Joycons...and as of right now, we've gone without a Nintendo Direct for about six months, so who knows what (if anything) is on the horizon? No pun intended. The Switch has delivered many extremely successful and popular titles since its release, as well as a great many ports, surprising third-party support (Witcher 3 anyone?) and a host of indie titles that have gone on to perform better on the Switch than they have anywhere else. Coming from the Wii U, it's very clearly a successful console.

So, share your Switch thoughts and memories today! Did you get a console at launch, or have you yet to buy one? What is your favourite game, and what are you most looking forward to? Overall, how would you rate the Switch as a console?

Years
    this console was (and still is) super fun for me! i remember being super hyped when it was first revealed. does anyone remember when this thing was still called the NX? interesting times.

but yeah, the Switch is a pretty solid console, even if it does have flaws. mostly typical of Nintendo playing it super safe by not prioritizing their console hardware, and as such the Switch kinda falls behind current smartphones somewhat when it comes to actual power. kind of a shame and something I hope Nintendo would change in the near future.

other than that though, i really love how there's capitalisation on the indie game market! although the con there is that there's certainly oversaturation... there's a ton of games to choose from, after all... but still! certainly leagues better than the disaster that was the Wii U, after all, imo.

the big downside here is Nintendo Switch Online, which i felt could do with.... more. not sure how, but ever since its announcement, i've pretty much never really cared for much of the benefits beyond being able to play online. perhaps if it were similar to PS+ in being able to get exclusive discounts on games i'd appreciate it a bit more, but eh.

Years
    my boyfriend and i preordered our switch, and picked it up at midnight!

Nintendo Switch turns 3 years old today!

while picking it up, i finally realized - i truly hate preordering games on Amazon because I hate waiting for it - everyone else was getting their copy of BotW, and we had to wait for Amazon to deliver it a day later. I'm just hella impatient. We did purchase Snipperclips and played that for all of thirty minutes tho.
    My favorite title is probably Breath of the Wild - to no one's surprise, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of Animal Crossing New Horizons.

does anyone remember when this thing was still called the NX? interesting times.
    Much like "Wii" & "Revolution", I was kinda upset by the reveal of the name, but it eventually grew on me.

but yeah, the Switch is a pretty solid console, even if it does have flaws. mostly typical of Nintendo playing it super safe by not prioritizing their console hardware, and as such the Switch kinda falls behind current smartphones somewhat when it comes to actual power. kind of a shame and something I hope Nintendo would change in the near future.
    yeah, I definitely hope the next console (which i also hope is a hybrid as well - it would be a mistake to backtrack on that) is a bit more powerful.

the big downside here is Nintendo Switch Online, which i felt could do with.... more. not sure how, but ever since its announcement, i've pretty much never really cared for much of the benefits beyond being able to play online. perhaps if it were similar to PS+ in being able to get exclusive discounts on games i'd appreciate it a bit more, but eh.
    yeah, I've had NSO since it launched, and only played,,,, ALttP? It seriously needs to release some additional older titles (and N64) asap. I was kinda disappointed by the lack of Virtual Console, and while this current format is neat, it's definitely lacking as far as games go.

which is wild, if you (like you mentioned) consider the absurd amount of indie titles on the Switch rn.

For me, I'm kinda disappointed by the lack of proper rating/review system in the eShop, and the lack of UI updates. I love the UI on the Switch, but I'm just kinda surprised that there aren't themes, additional avatar options, and folders. :S

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    I play on the Switch pretty much everyday. I've played a number of different games, with the three FIFA games altogether being the games I've played most often. Think I've accumulated over 900 hours of play time on them. Maybe Shield will eventually take over at some point, most likely when the DLC comes out.

My main gripe with the Switch is definitely the Joy Cons, with how easy they break as well as how much they cost (a new set costs £70 each). I've been using a wired controller instead, but its now harder to play the Switch handheld. I also bought a pro controller as well, but that started having issues soon after I bought it.

Hopefully at some point they'll introduce new themes for the home menu like they have on the 3DS. Not sure if they've said they are or aren't going to do that at some point already, though.

Back