• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo unveils 3DS XL

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
  • Not gonna buy this heap of over-sized plastic. Such a waste of money. Nintendo needs to think about repricing everything they sell. I can get a brand spanking new Xbox 360 w/ Kinect for the price of this XL model. I thought that the normal 3DS's price at $169.99 was stretching it, but holy freakin' samurai light bulbs!

Sorry, but I'd rather just get the normal 3DS and call it good.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • Nintendo seems to be going back on their word recently. They said they didn't believe in DLC's, yet added them to some of their 3DS games, then they come out with this after saying they didn't want to release a revamped 3DS?

What's going on Nintendo.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I love my cobalt XL to death, so I was happy to hear they were making a 3DS XL, but only if there were any interesting games to go with it...

I will probably get one if they release some in a different colour regardless of it's lackluster game selection. Something other than black, white or silver would be amazing. Would LOVE a green, purple or orange one of these. @_@

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Nintendo seems to be going back on their word recently. They said they didn't believe in DLC's, yet added them to some of their 3DS games, then they come out with this after saying they didn't want to release a revamped 3DS?

They didn't believe in DLC last generation, but I think they've always said it would be apart of the Wii U and 3DS. They've mentioned they want to support that market, if not for them, then for third party support that they need to build.

Also, yeah, they denied a 3DS revamp like... last week? That's what you do. They had this event planned to unveil it. That's when they planned to do it. It takes into consideration marketing timelines and investors. They have no reason to announce it early so flippantly. That's the way every company operates.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2012
    I thought something like this was going to happen. I'll most likely be getting it because I don't have a regular 3ds. As for the absence of both the cradle and charger, it seems this might be a hassle for promoting the 3ds XL.

JadeSkittles

Gamer Girl
    Years

Well from I heard from one of the 3DS online bloggers whos video I can not find on the channel for some reason is that its not a redesign but just a bigger system for people that have eyes troubles. If it was a redesign they would of given it the second circle pad. So this is merely just something with better battery life and a larger screen since the DS had older people and some younger people may have an issue with the 3D since its a small screen.

NatureKeeper

I just wonder: Is the resolution increased or the same? If it is the same, then I don't get the point of a larger screen at all.

Years
  • I just wonder: Is the resolution increased or the same? If it is the same, then I don't get the point of a larger screen at all.

I hope the resolution is better too, and one would think that increased screen resolution would be among the new features. Playing B&W on a 3DS sucks because it's so grainy. :/

Years
  • It seems like this is meant for they who don't own a 3DS already, since it features nothing new except bigger screen and better battery life. If it was meant to be bought by 3DS owners, they would have included a 2nd circle pad, maybe better camera/resolution. Since the charger and cradle aren't included (in EU and JP), I think this is meant for DSi and DSiXL owners. One detail many people seem to have overlooked, is that the 3DSXL uses the very same charger as DSi, DSiXL and 3DS, which makes lots if sense considering who they seem to be targeting. :-P

As for me, I won't buy this since I already have a 3DS, and there's nothing new which appeals to me :/

HackChu

I need a haircut...
    Years
  • 3DS XL Circle Pad Pro Expansion coming this year

3DS XL does not have a second Circle Pad. Not yet, at least.

Nintendo will be offering a 3DS XL version of the Circle Pad Pro some time this year. The company revealed plans for the accessory in a Q&A about the 3DS XL that appeared in Famitsu this week (you can view a sample page from the Q&A at Famitsu.com)

Source

They couldn't have just added a second circle-pad to the XL to begin with? Freaking Nintendo :tired:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • As we have a thread on the 3DS XL already I feel it's better to merge the two.

And it's not surprising to me, as the 3DS XL isn't meant to be an upgrade of the 3DS or anything; it's just a larger 3DS with a slightly longer battery life for those who like bigger screens (ie it's like the DS XL was to the DSi, not like the DS Lite was to the DS). Hence why it doesn't differ in other ways to the 3DS.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Saw some footage of one in action earlier today and it's enormous. I guess if you always play your 3DS right next to the outlet, it would be okay, but I bring my handhelds everywhere. I guess its size wouldn't be too much of a problem for me since I always keep my 3DS in my purse or my backpack anyway but for any male? Yeah, good luck fitting that in your pockets if you aren't wearing cargo pants. One of the main selling points of the 3DS is StreetPass. No one's gonna be able to use the XL for that since it'd be a hassle to carry.

I've never understood the XL series to begin with. I think the screen sizes of the original consoles are just fine. People who can't see it well probably have reading glasses anyway. I agree with everyone saying they should have gone smaller instead.

At least the console is matte? Looks less tacky than the original 3DS design.
    They don't include the charger or build in the second joystick? Wtf Nintendo. Not impressed.
    To be fair, it's not like a lot of games even use the second joystick. It would just be a waste of space if they included it imo.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Just wanted to say this cause I saw a lot of general hate on this matter.

The 3DS XL is NOT an revamped 3DS nor an upgraded one. Like with the DSiXL, it is simply a larger system for those who cannot see as well, cause Nintendo does cater to older and younger crowds. A lot of just for fun games are aimed at an older set of players who do not play the same games we may play. There are also a great deal of recreational games and apps for the 3DS and older DS system games.

Also may seem offtopic, but talked to the Nintendo rep that is in charge of my store and she said she received note that they may possibly be doing recalls on the DSi's from stores. Like how the one before her was supposed to do on the DS Lite after the Christmas sales ended. We may have another 6 months before we hear anything from Nintendo officially, but she said they are discontinueing the i series soon. (Soon = 6 months to a year at the least, they said the same thing about the DS lite when the 3DS first came out and the DS Lite didn't discontinue for a year or so.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Am I the only one who thinks the 2nd joystick will make things amazingly awkward on the 3DS XL? Looking at the picture of it, I can't imagine it is going to be easy to move between the buttons and second joystick. :/
    If you have small hands, you will struggle.

I wonder if they will bring out any more random attachments.​

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
  • Saw some footage of one in action earlier today and it's enormous. I guess if you always play your 3DS right next to the outlet, it would be okay, but I bring my handhelds everywhere. I guess its size wouldn't be too much of a problem for me since I always keep my 3DS in my purse or my backpack anyway but for any male? Yeah, good luck fitting that in your pockets if you aren't wearing cargo pants. One of the main selling points of the 3DS is StreetPass. No one's gonna be able to use the XL for that since it'd be a hassle to carry.

I've never understood the XL series to begin with. I think the screen sizes of the original consoles are just fine. People who can't see it well probably have reading glasses anyway. I agree with everyone saying they should have gone smaller instead.

At least the console is matte? Looks less tacky than the original 3DS design.

To be fair, it's not like a lot of games even use the second joystick. It would just be a waste of space if they included it imo.

me too omg. What's the point of them being portable if they're too ginormous to take anywhere? I remember the old Gameboy SP and the DS Lite, those were optimal sizes for handhelds imo.

That being said, though, if dark green is a color for this XL series I will legit cry.

PhantomTwilight

possibly sane
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Nov 9, 2014

So...what changed? Besides the super huge screen made for old people?

And no charger included....Nintendo is running out of ideas, guys.

I'm afraid that after the Wii U.....the Pokemon franchise might be the only thing that keeps this company afloat...

Cause Mario sure ain't.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Well they don't use the second joystick because unless it's completely 100% necessary for the game, it would probably lower their sales because it doesn't come packaged with the console, so not everyone would have it. If it came as part of the console, game developers wouldn't have to worry about losing sales because they can't market to people without the add-on and would develop for the second joystick, making games that are more enjoyable for everyone. There's a reason why Sony and Microsoft both have dual joysticks, it's just a more enjoyable experience for a lot of games haha.

With the taller screen there's even plenty of room for it to go right on the console without any changing of the design, which is what confuses me. It wouldn't be crammed or anything even. ;_;

Back