• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No Christ, no Mass

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    With Christmas just round the corner, I've thought, is there anyone who doesn't celebrate it? Assuming at least one other person on this huge message board doesn't, saying why would be great. :)

Now I'd best answer my own question, eh? I don't celebrate Christmas, and simply because I'm not a Christian. Yes, Christmas has become pretty much secular in modern times, but I don't see it as such.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    With Christmas just round the corner, I've thought, is there anyone who doesn't celebrate it? Assuming at least one other person on this huge message board doesn't, saying why would be great. :)

Now I'd best answer my own question, eh? I don't celebrate Christmas, and simply because I'm not a Christian. Yes, Christmas has become pretty much secular in modern times, but I don't see it as such.

This is a very interesting sentence. Even if one isn't a Christian, are you still allowed to celebrate Christmas? Did the value of what its really about decline? Or is it just that people are getting into the holiday spirit?

My friend is Jewish, so he doesn't celebrate. But he still buys me a present, & I him.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Of course you can still celebrate Christmas if you're not Christian. It's not like it has any religious significance anymore.

Too bad we bastardized what once held a LOT of significance.

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    I don't believe in god. I celebrate Christmas just the same. No one really knows I don't believe, and I'm forced to go to church, but...

Meh, I celebrate it as a holiday of love and spending time with family.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    In my opinion, I think it's kinda sad that such an important day on the Christian calender has been turned into a corporate holiday about material goods. Heck, even though I'm a Christian, Christmas won't mean much to me at all, neither spiritually nor materialistically. I'll go to church, get my gifts, see and eat with family, and once the day goes by I won't think about it for another year.

Maybe I associate it too much with gifts (I mean, look at my current theme - girls in Santa suits XD), and as I've grown up I've grown out of the whole "omg squee presents under the Christmas tree" deal. But nyeh, as [sugarPUNK!] up there said, family time, while accompanied by the occasional argument, is still good.

Actually, I'm probably just recollecting my thoughts of Christmas from last year ...

Also, I fixed the typo in your title for ya :D

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I don't think my family has fully grasped that Christmas is a Christian holiday XD;
    (We don't go to church. I can't say 'oh my god', my dad doesn't know it's a derogatory statement for Christians ^^')

I'm not complaining though. I think we're more of a 'celebrate the season of giving' type of family, and that's what I think everyone who celebrates it anyway has in mind too~

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    This is a very interesting sentence. Even if one isn't a Christian, are you still allowed to celebrate Christmas? Did the value of what its really about decline? Or is it just that people are getting into the holiday spirit?

My friend is Jewish, so he doesn't celebrate. But he still buys me a present, & I him.
    Indeed I can celebrate Chirstmas, anyone can. :0 I just choose not to. That's just "how I am" and all that stuff. x0

Also, I fixed the typo in your title for ya :D
    Oh, what was the typo? :0

Thus far, I seem to be the only person not involving myself in this festival... somewhat surprising, can I say.

Last edited:

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    I don't celebrate christmas, for I am jewish. I mean I could celebrate the holiday, but I wouldn't get any presents or see any family. Plus I'm proud to be a jew.

Years
    I don't celebrate it religiously because I'm not a Christian. I do give gifts to dear people that take part of that belief, though; that includes my whole family. Nevertheless, I personally take part in the gatherings and stuff my family and friends like to do socially, of course.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2008
    I'm a Christian (and I'm proud of it!) so I celebrate it. But sometimes I think it getrs so comercialized that I forget the actual meaning...

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Christmas wasn't even a Christian holiday to begin with. The early Christian church simply appropriated the date from various pagan winter festivals, and various aspects of the holiday take cues from pagan Germanic and Scandinavian rituals.

I'm a devout Christian, but I celebrate the secular and commercial Christmas with the lights, the gifts, the eggnog, the decorations, and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation playing on the TV. I do not celebrate the lame-ass right-wing fundie evangelist Christmas where people sit in church on a hard wooden bench while the minister guilt-trips them for hours on end. My minister doesn't even bother with the guilt-trip sermon to begin with; he knows it's a waste of time, and he knows that Jesus Christ wasn't really born on 25 December.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    I'm a Christian but I don't think Christmas is a great hoilday.

Maybe because of my family, Which doesn't really enjoy christmas becuase all of our family isn't here.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Christmas wasn't even a Christian holiday to begin with. The early Christian church simply appropriated the date from various pagan winter festivals, and various aspects of the holiday take cues from pagan Germanic and Scandinavian rituals.

I'm a devout Christian, but I celebrate the secular and commercial Christmas with the lights, the gifts, the eggnog, the decorations, and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation playing on the TV. I do not celebrate the lame-ass right-wing fundie evangelist Christmas where people sit in church on a hard wooden bench while the minister guilt-trips them for hours on end. My minister doesn't even bother with the guilt-trip sermon to begin with; he knows it's a waste of time, and he knows that Jesus Christ wasn't really born on 25 December.

Oooo, controversial.

Maybe we should drop the religious discussion, lest a flame war starts.

EDIT:What kind of sermon do you attend? I avoid the sermons where the minister is so much better he can judge me. My church isn't like that. He's just boring. Very very boring.

Last edited:

peirateis

This is what's left of us.
    Years

Maybe it wasn't, ages and ages ago, but it certainly is now. I'd say celebrating the birth of Jesus is pretty Christian.

Years
    It is Christian now. That's why they only write "Xmas" and say "Happy holidays" now because of the so-called "separation of church and state."

Shiraishi

Orz
    Years

I heard about that on the History channel(I WAS BORED T_T) it approximated his birth to around spring. I forgot why, it had something to do with sheep. ._. I'm not devout and probably never will be.

Back