• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No Trainers Have Any Heart In Their Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBatPrince

Banned
Years
  • Hi everybody!

Does anybody find this? That for some reason; every bloody Sim I play like Pokemon Showdown, Pokemon Net Battle, Shoddy Battle, some other ones too...don't seem to really have a Trainer that takes themselves seriously.

It's like the old stories in the Comics happening all over again. People just mash together a Team for the purpose of scoring some type of satisfactory "Win", but they don't really respect the creatures. I see random teams that are more "joke" teams than anything else; and one of them even directly told me that they are just there making "satire teams". I'm not sure why this has started becoming "cool" to do, but this whole "Meme Team" thing doesn't make sense for this type of genre. If people don't know how to excel at a Combat RPG series, I don't think they should be trying to dodge the spirit of what makes this ages old Game so much fun.

I actually put heart into each team; and that's why I'm able to win. It's not all about Winning, it's more about just an honourable Battle. Not spamming set moves over and over (in reality, a real Ninjask would have stung you and flown off into the distance; never to appear again before you) to stall for some overly-mechanized strategy. That's why I like to use Pokemon I actually have a History with, like Raticate, Octillery, Magcargo, Dodrio, etc. I actually try to put my Heart into making him or her, and not just flooding their EV's and IV's with Mathematically-superior Builds. That's not how Games are played. And that's why those players lose everytime; because believe it or not even a Digital Creature can still show an aptitude for your Quest as a Trainer.

It all ties together into a style of play. Meaning to not Release (or in most modern contexts, "Trash") a Pokemon because it's Nature was not to your liking. Or, because it is not "Somewhat of a Clown", or some other type of IV Machine-inducing Sentence. But to just work with what you find, and properly RPing the way the Game is meant to be.

What are your thoughts?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    i think you're romanticizing things too much

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • Ultimately you're entitled to play competitive Pokemon the way you want. If you want to use Pokemon you have a history with, that's fine. However, I think you're missing what the point of the word "competitive" is to most people. People build teams using Pokemon that are optimally EVed / IVed and have optimal moves so that they fulfill a specific purpose for their team. This gives them the best possible chance of winning in the teambuilding phase, and while actually playing a game is another story entirely having a good team is a pretty good start. There is still plenty of room to have fun in competitive Pokemon while using more or less conventional Pokemon; I spent most of my time as an Ubers player thinking up teams centred around unviable Arceus formes and I look back on that period as pretty enjoyable. Like I said, you're free to play Pokemon however you want, but I hope this brief post gave you some insight as to why people play the way you are complaining about.

TheBatPrince

Banned
    Years
  • Ultimately you're entitled to play competitive Pokemon the way you want. If you want to use Pokemon you have a history with, that's fine. However, I think you're missing what the point of the word "competitive" is to most people. People build teams using Pokemon that are optimally EVed / IVed and have optimal moves so that they fulfill a specific purpose for their team. This gives them the best possible chance of winning in the teambuilding phase, and while actually playing a game is another story entirely having a good team is a pretty good start. There is still plenty of room to have fun in competitive Pokemon while using more or less conventional Pokemon; I spent most of my time as an Ubers player thinking up teams centred around unviable Arceus formes and I look back on that period as pretty enjoyable. Like I said, you're free to play Pokemon however you want, but I hope this brief post gave you some insight as to why people play the way you are complaining about.

Competition doesn't mean lack of proper Conditioning for the Creatures you're using. Dating back to the ancient days; they're about Honour, not Fame.

And yes, I do agree with you that there is nothing wrong with an optimally trained Pokemon. However, it should be trained naturally. The whole point is you're supposed to be training in the Woods, in the Mountains, in Volcanoes, etc. with your Pokemon. Conditioning it for it's natural Habitat, as well as it's other non-dominant ones.

Because in reality, a Pokemon Battle is not as simple as you think. You have a high level Rhydon that you've conditioned in the Underground? It won't matter if a flock of Pidgeys all kick dirt in its face in the Jungle, and the older Pidgeots all try to Drill Peck in unison at it. Or, if the Rhydon is not Fast enough, and a Mightyena can take it down. Even still, who's to say that it's Mental State is perfected? If it has been raised to be gruff and cruel like say, the Rival from Gold & Silver Version, then it can easily be dominated with a Houndoom's Attract; or a simple low-level Abra's Confusion.

So meaning, that anything can happen at any time in a Fight. And the way "EV's" were meant to be accumulated, (which is why there was never any released data on how the Programming worked for it, other than brief mention in the Strategy Guides for 2nd Gen), are through natural means in your Adventure with them.

Years
  • I'm not sure this really fits what this section is about and honestly I'm not sure where I'd move it to otherwise. So for now I'm going to close this thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back