• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Not a Chancy in the world.

Prylace

Mamoru's Stunt Double
    Years
    I've been in the Safari Zone for at least 3 hours now and have only encountered 4 Chancy.. none of which have been caught.

My current "strategy" is to simply throw 1 rock then throw 1 ball. So far 2 Chancy have fled after I threw the rock and the other 2 fled after the ball failed to capture them.

I don't remember it being this hard in Red/Blue ; ;
    I can't imagine ever getting a Lucky Egg at this rate.. anyone have any strategy for this Safari Zone Chancy nightmare?

KaeL

Nooblet
    Years
    Well, i suggest throwing some bait to get it content in the area its in. Then throw 1-2 rocks then ball. Every time u miss with a ball repeat the process.

Prylace

Mamoru's Stunt Double
    Years
    From what I understand bait does increase the chance it will stay longer but it also decreases the chances of a Pokeball working, and rocks increase the chance of a Pokeball working but decrease the chance of the Pokemon staying around. I always had the impression that throwing 1 bait then throwing 1 rock would cancel itself out... makeing it useless unless you throw 1 bait then 2 rocks.. which would (theoretically) have the same effect as just throwing 1 rock.

Maybe it doesn't work that way.. guess I'll just have to start using bait and find out.

Prylace

Mamoru's Stunt Double
    Years
    Hey I'm trying to do the math here.. if I have a -5% chance at catching Chancy, and there's a 5% chance that a Chancy will have a Lucky Egg on her, what are my chances at getting a Lucky Egg before I die?

PazzKat

Back and looking 4 smiles!
    Years
    Oh come on, you guys are SO sad. You need to realize something. Even though you are more likely to catch Chansey with a rock to the forehead, Chancey is too peace loving to stay and fight. (Most of the time) What you Ought' to do is throw bait, safari ball, safari ball, bait, safari ball, safari ball, etc. The bait keeps her there and the balls try to capture her. Try holding Select+A+B also, it increases chances sometimes. In order to save Safari 'time' get where Chanser appear, stay in ONE square of grass, and just rotate your P.O.V. That way, time is not lost, and you can stay as long as you can keep in that grass square. GOOD LUCK! Tee hee. ^_^

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    *checks PokeDex*

According to the Dex, nope. You can't catch Chansey in the Cerulean Cave. I remembered you could back in RBY though.

Pressing buttons while throwing a PokeBall does nothing. It's just psychological effect. Ignore everything Nintendo says about it. I hate NoA anyways. They take Mew and everything out of the game so only those in NY can get them. *snorts*

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I caught my Chansey by throwing two rocks (the second one being accidental and nearly killing myself if it ran away), and then a PokeBall. Amazingly it stayed in. Now I have a beautiful Blissey! ^_^

PsychicStar

E.S.P. Type Pokemon
    Years
    Yeah I agree, the chances are so different that it's best just to keep trying. Personally I use the bait & bait then safarib then bait then safarib... keeps Chansey there longer, but even I haven't caught one yet.. ^^;;

Prylace

Mamoru's Stunt Double
    Years
    I caught a Chancy! Watch out Baalzebul because your home plane just got a little chilly.

And it only took 15-20 Chancy encounters -.- I think the one I caught wanted to be caught though.. it didn't run away while I threw 4 Safari Balls at it. (4th one worked obviously)

Oh yeah, I didn't throw a rock or bait at it, just Balls.

Update: I just checked the Chancy in my box... LUCKY EGG OMGWTFHAHA!!!11!11!!1one!one11

Prylace

Mamoru's Stunt Double
    Years
    I'm not sure if it was the balls... I think higher powers were at work here.

I probably owe Cthulhu a favor and/or soul now or something. Meh.. it was worth it.

PazzKat

Back and looking 4 smiles!
    Years
    -Sits back rocking back and forth in her chair- Must push Select+A+B...must push it...o_O;;;; I dunno, I know it doesn't work it was just that...at this tournament I went to .... this kid did a demo...he must of just gotten lucky....darn Zapados, don't let the select+a+b take you in! >_< Btw, what's the lucky egg? And / have you gotten the Lucky Punch for her yet?

Back