• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I'm fine with the monkey names, they really aren't that bad. In my opinion these are a lot better than the starters. I will never get over Oshawott. >.>

I'm slightly disappointed that N's name didn't change. I was looking forward to seeing the chaos that would ensue. :(

blue

gucci
    Years
    Hopefully, this is a start for the English news coming in, I mean if they want to announce all the names and information, they're going to have to start soon because if Pokémon Black & White are out Early Spring 2011, say March, then that only gives them 3 months to do it, can't wait to get this :D!
    Oh, and N & Team Plasma, I loved them names already so I'm happy that they stayed :P!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Oh N's name is the same? /only just woke up so skipped the N part

Glad N didn't change, since if he got a proper name it would just seem strange imo. I like the codename idea. XD

Omg. Panpour sounds like pamper and the second evolution looks like it is getting pampered. XD

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

Yanappu = Pansage
    Baoppu = Pansear
    Hiyappu = Panpour

Sage is like a herb
    Sear is like a burn
    Pour is obvious, pouring water.

The names represent the types well, but I don't get why they put 'Pan' in the beginning.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    It took me awhile just to get the first part of the puns in their anmes, pan from chimpanzee.

But sage, pour and sear?

I just think the names could have been a bit better.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

Yanappu = Pansage
    Baoppu = Pansear
    Hiyappu = Panpour

Sage is like a herb
    Sear is like a burn
    Pour is obvious, pouring water.

The names represent the types well, but I don't get why they put 'Pan' in the beginning.
    Well maybe Pan comes from Pan as in Frying pan (remember the Waiters own them) also Pan is spanish for bread (a type of food though I doubt it's this type of pan), oh and it's a mischievous god in mythology (monkeys are seen as mischievous animals)...so it can be any of those...or maybe all of those...(oh yeah pan also means all...)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It took me awhile just to get the first part of the puns in their anmes, pan from chimpanzee.

But sage, pour and sear?

I just think the names could have been a bit better.
    ...OH. I have no clue why I didn't consider actual primate types. lol.

Well maybe Pan comes from Pan as in Frying pan (remember the Waiters own them) also Pan is spanish for bread (a type of food though I doubt it's this type of pan), oh and it's a mischievous god in mythology (monkeys are seen as mischievous animals)...so it can be any of those...or maybe all of those...(oh yeah pan also means all...)

Frying pan makes sense too... hmmmmmm.

This just makes me wonder what their evolutions names are. Something like Zeesquirt? :(

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

Ah. Well I didn't know pan meant so much XD Well... yeah. I guess it would be named pan after 'all' I dont think the waiters would have had anything to do with the naming, as I am sure many other trainers would use the monkey's too.

N sounds secretive so I like that, although I was hoping he would be called 'X'

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    I honestly didn't expect this O.o
    Is it just me, or does "Panpour" sound French?

The Red Chain

Is it just me, or does "Panpour" sound French?
    Well, it's not an existing French word, but yes it kind of does. XD;
    Awwwww I was hoping for Soakie, Smokie, and Stokie. I just think they are really cute. <33
    But eh, these aren't that bad, but does anyone know the meaning for the "Pan" part they use?

I can't seem to figure it out. >.<;

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I'm pretty sure the Pan from their names comes from Chimpanzee. As Medusa said. At least, that's the only logical thing I could come up with.

Years

Ah. Well I didn't know pan meant so much XD Well... yeah. I guess it would be named pan after 'all' I dont think the waiters would have had anything to do with the naming, as I am sure many other trainers would use the monkey's too.

N sounds secretive so I like that, although I was hoping he would be called 'X'
    True but the Waiters are the most known of all the trainers who used them, maybe they wanted them to fit into their theme?

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    Wow, no one has noticed that the "pan" part is short for chimpanzee? I thought that was obvious, lol. Sear means to burn.

Edit: I love the names, btw. Esp. Panpour, it sounds french.

Years
    Wow, no one has noticed that the "pan" part is short for chimpanzee? I thought that was obvious, lol. Sear means to burn.
    Meduza noticed that long ago, lol.
    It is obvious but it also fits the other meaning of "Pan" but that one GF most likely intended unless they wanted to do a play on words...
    I wonder what names will be revealed next? I hope they confirm Kyurem will stay the same :)

The Red Chain

Edit: I love the names, btw. Esp. Panpour, it sounds french.
    .... I didn't notice because the three monkeys are not chimps at all. XD
    Chimps lack a tail, so that doesn't make a lick of sense. D;

Bah, hum bug. ._.; They are getting more confusing with English names every year, I swear.

Wait no, I take it back. Their Japanese names have a deprivation of "ape" too..
    Apparently, apes have tails now.

Years

.... I didn't notice because the three monkeys are not chimps at all. XD
    Chimps lack a tail, so that doesn't make a lick of sense. D;

Bah, hum bug. ._.; They are getting more confusing with English names every year, I swear.

I know what you mean, I am also confused by why they named them Pan from chimpanzee...maybe I was right and it's just a coincidence that Pan is part of them name of a type of Primate...but then again Monferno has the same issue in other languages.

The Red Chain

The names are nice enough, so I'll just leave the ape thing alone haha.

... Pansear can be so odd though to say.. like searing a frying pan. XDD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back