• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • My problem is with seeing them every five seconds from other trainers, and that it's a ridiculous name.

THIS.
    That's why I get a bit irked whenever people just say "Rename the Pokemon." Sure, I can rename my Pokemon, but what about all the other Trainers sprawled across Unova with Sawk and Throh in their parties? Just merely being subject to the sentence "Pokemon Trainer _______ sent out Sawk/Throh!" will likely make me cringe. It's quite easy to change the given name for a single instance of Pokemon, but to hear a horrendous term that is the identifying label for an entire species? That's what I dislike.

And not only do you have to see it in Unova forests, buildings, caves, waters, and such, you also have to see crappy names in the Battle Subway as well and on Wi-Fi.

And online in discussions and forums.

And
    in the PokeDex and research articles/informative pages such as those on Bulbapedia. I mean, it's like I want to change the crappy names, but no matter how many Pokemon I rename, the entirety of the species will be known as [insert crappy Pokemon name here] forever. I think that's why most people want the names to be good on the first go, so that whenever you see that name, you'll either range from "A Pokemon. Neat." or "That name is so freaking awesome." I don't want to have to go "WHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY DID THEY PICK SUCH A TERRIBLE NAME" every time I see a Sawk or a Throh (though at this point, I probably will be doing that for a long time, as I suspect other Trainers may do).
    I can do one member of each species some good with the Name Rater's involvement, but I can't say the same for the rest of the Sawk and Throh in the world. At the end of the day, yeah, it's just a name, but there's a reason the name was chosen in the first place. And if names have to be assigned to something, can they at least be average/good so as not to induce cringe-worthy thoughts and memories?

...as for Roggenrola, that name is awesome. :D It's not overly blatant, because I've seen a few posts where people didn't even recognize the "rock and roll" pun at first - I'm one of them. I still have a LOT of reviewing to do on Pokemon names, item names, location names, and Trainer names in the future within this thread, but as of right now, Sawk, Throh, Foongus, and Amoongus are the only Gen 5 names standing out as being way too blatant/obvious to me to the point that they're terrible.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2011
    Roggenrola is meh....but Gigalith is EPIC so i can wait it out
    i actually like Throh lol idk why
    Foongus...down right despicable
    Tirtouga erks me i want it to be tortouga....carracosta should be more along the lines of turtle/tortoise imo...but love the poke itself

Years
  • I like the origin of the English names.

Elgyem, cute
    Oshawott, cute
    Gothitelle, feminine
    Reuniclus, odd
    Tepig, strong
    Snivy, smart

arceus123shiny

pkmn 4ever
    Years
  • Audino, the English name for Tabuune wasn't really what I expected for it. I don't actually know what I expected, but that name certainly did come for a surprise. I think I might end up nicknaming this Pokémon. XD

I think sawk should be changed it sounds like sack to me and trubbish is just stupid.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I prefer Japanese names for the player characters
    I'm sorry...but Hilda and Hilbert?
    sounds like they should be in a nursing home or waving a cane and kidnapping young children: "Come here, let me show you how to catch a Chillarmy..."

Touya and Touko are what I call myself

Bwazzam

*explosion noise*
    Years
  • I could care less about the protagonists' original names.

But, "Hone Claws"...come on, dude. No. Some names are lame, some are cool, some are totally effin orgasmic.

Like every other generation's pokemon names.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Audino isn't really a bad name, it covers most of the possible meanings of Tabunne, such as the (Maybe? / I dunno) aspect. There's also the Audio part in Audino which can sort equate to the ear/sound aspect possible in Tabunne too. The next part is a stretch but maybe Dino too since it looks sort of like one, maybe?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I dislike many of the English names. Throh rubs me the wrong way a bit, yet it's such a beast and I'm glad I have one. I've renamed every Pokemon caught in White, even if I don't mind the name - just for consistency. Some I even restore their Japanese names (my party contains an Ononokus and a Shandera)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back