• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I'd like to see Aloe and Iris keep their names too...

I've gotten so used to Dento, but surely he'll have a name change in the english release? Dento doesn't mean anything to an english speaker at all...:(

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I am loling at "Big Pecks". Also Im loving Professor Araragis new name; Professor Juniper.

offtopic: her english name reminds me of that show The Life and Times of Juniper Lee :D
    lol I thought of that too when I heard it xD
    Yeah Dent will most likely be changed...I kind of want it to not be changed but kind of do...

Bluemoon

Bluemoon
    Years
    Tu all the people that like the japanese names better! I agree with all of you... I like chilarmy better.. rather than minccino... can anyone decipher what that means!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Minccino - Chillarmy
    Gigalith - Gigaiath
    Sandile - Meguroco
    Blitzle - Shimama
    Pidove - Mamepato
    Klink - Gear
    Darmanitan - Hihidaruma
    Professor Araragi - Professor Juniper

Sheer force - Encourage
    Overconfidence - Moxie
    Pigeon Heart - Big Pecks.

Castelia City - Huin City.

At least Munna gets to stay as Munna :D

Some of those names are terrible though, especially Chillarmy ;~;

...wtf.

Minccino isn't that bad but I'm used to Chillarmy, Gigalith makes sense I guess, I have no complaints with Snadile, Blitzle, wtf? IT'S NOT LIKE SHIMAMA IS ONE OF SANTA'S REINDEER'S. ;___; Um, Pidove is really weird and Gear > Klink. Anddd... I like Hihidaruma. :(

I like Castelia. :3

MUNNA STAYS AS MUNNA? HELL YES. :DDDD Omg Jpp would be so happy right now. XD

Wait omg, these are the first few announced, so they're going in the order of Pokemon announced in Japan! Yay!

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Not really.

Gigalith was officially announced a few months later. I believe.

But this means next will be Gochiruzeru and Rankurusu. OMG CANT WAIT.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Not really.

Gigalith was officially announced a few months later. I believe.

But this means next will be Gochiruzeru and Rankurusu. OMG CANT WAIT.

I swear they were announced all at once, because I kept saying to myself, "Oh God I keep forgetting Gear" and then Thorns made a thread on Gear...

Which would've been mid-June, which is when we got Chillarmy. D:

Oh God, if Gochiruzeru has references to Lady Gaga's name I'd lol.

Years
    I am kind of hoping that her name stays the same same with Rankurusu...
    I'm glad that our wish for Munna to stay the same was executed, it's a nice Christmas gift from N of America :)

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    gasp! N? Surely you dont mean the N?

And as sad as it is, Gochiruzeru cant stay. 10 character limit. The closest it can get is Gothilsele or something stupid like that T-T

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    If my theory if new information on Monday is right, we should get Denchura's English name in a week. :DDD

Wait, June = Chillarmy etc, 3 months. Right now we're at about three months, nevermind they'll do new Pokemon ever two weeks I think.

Triple battles will probably be announced then, too. Though, that is going by CoroCoro for the first few, while in this group it's Oha Suta, so right now I'm not sure which way they're going to go. If so, we'll be waiting a while for them.

If so...

January 10 - Denchura etc
    January 24 - Kibago etc
    February 7 - Gochiruzeru etc
    February 21 - Shikijika etc
    February 28 - Choroneko etc

Then nothing more until when actually playing the games, I think.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
    I've actually grown accustom to some of the Japanese names.
    I wish they just internationally named them.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Munna=Munna <3 <3 <3 Yes!!!! That was one of my all time favourite pokemon names, and it has been kept for the English version :cer_boogie:

And I love the Names:
    Klink (sounds really cute, and creative!)
    Big Pecks (lolololl)
    Castelia City (A pretty name that reminds me of Crayola Crayons.)
    Minccino. (reminds me of coffee Mmmmmmm.....)

Juniper is really weird, I was expecting a more well known tree name though.

Blitzen--I mean Blitzle is too similar to Santa's reindeer Blitzen :/ Also I don't like 'Blitzle' It sounds funny in a bad way.

Darmanitan... I was hoping for something shorter than the Jap name, but this is heaps long!

Pidove is a really weird unoriginal name for Mamepato. I love the Jap name, Pidove sounds like a fugly mutant bird.

Sandile, too... expected. Unoriginal. Sand+Dile is not creative.

And the other new names which I didn't mention are okay, I will live.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
    Some of the names that have been made up by The Pokémon Company International are pretty stupid, not meaning to insult anyone or anything, but yeah... Sandile could've been easy to guess... but I never even got up to the name while thinking up all these new names.

But oh look... this is just a disgrace, Minccino was a pretty bad name to use, I would've prefered a name like "Charmchilla", which would've been a direct translation if they used that name, it would've been much better, it's too bad that we're all forced to get used to it. D:

As for other new Pokémon names like Kink wasn't bad, however I would say that would've been better than having it as "gear", because that name looked too basic.

Hm... Muuna is alright, even though I thought about "Moonower" earlier on.

Professor Juniper isn't a bad name, actually. (if the name was Yew, it would've gotten too confusing, and we would've thought it said "you" lol)

Dilligeon would've been a better name than Pidove, because it's made of "Dilligent" and "Pigeon", however Pidove is made of Pigeon and Dove.

Oh and by the way... The Pokémon Company International would've already finished debugging the text and all that in the US version, so it would already be finished by now. :\

Don't they just looooooove to keep people waiting for months and months, eh? Dx
    I wish they never kept people waiting for the game, they should just release it as soon as they're finished. Just absolutely stupid in how they love to keep everyone waiting, I'm getting really sick of them keeping everyone waiting for months after they've finished. -.-

~Davin (aka Platinum Lucario)

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    YES! Munna keeps it's English name! I love that name! XD
    Minccino is OK I guess but it's not the best name...
    Gigalith is fine. I don't like it but I don't hate it.
    Sandile makes sense, I actually sort of like it.
    Blitzle is one of Santas Reindeers! It's not a reindeer! Stantler is! I was hoping for a cooler name than that. D:
    Pidove sounds a bit awkward for Mamepato if you ask me.
    I love Klink! It's short and makes sense. It's even a bit cute. :3
    Darmanitan is OK. I don't really like it for some reason. :(
    Juniper sounds a bit odd for a professor. I thought she was going to be like Professor Maple or something. XD
    I like Sheer Force. It sounds cool.
    Moxie? Hmmm.... OK...
    Big Pecks. lol!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Time to give my share of opinion on the English names announced. :P

So!
    Minccino (Jap. - Chillarmy) I actually do not mind the new name at all. It rolls off the tongue well and fits it decently.

Gigalith (Jap. - Gigaith) Gotta say, loving the English name for this one. I find it simpler to pronounce and I like it more than the Japanese name. n_n

Sandile (Jap. - Meguroco) To be honest, Sandile seems moreover a feminine name. Eh, not so fond of the change and Meguroco is just so much better imo. :(

Blitzle (Jap. - Shimama) Shimama...I never really liked the name for such a 'striking' Pokémon. I longed to hear the English name for this one and I have to say, I'm liking it. It suits the Electric typing as a name and sounds really cool overall.

Pidove (Jap. - Mamepato) I'm guessing with this name, they've combined the two words 'Pidgeon' and 'Love'; also to fit the ability. Kind of generic, but I like it more than Mamepato.

Klink (Jap. - Gear) And I thought to myself, how much more generic can this Pokémon' name be? Gear > Klink, but I guess Klink is a bit more original-ish.

Darmanitan (Jap. - Hihidaruma) I'll definitely miss saying Hihidaruma. It's so fun to say and rolls of the tongue with a "hihi" and adding the "daruma" part; also makes it easier to remember. Darmanitan, I don't really like this name too much. :( It'll take some time getting used to as well.

Munna ( Jap. - Munna) What can you say? I kind of predicted Munna would have kept the name; it suits it so well and it's a lovely name. <3 I'm glad they didn't change it.

And there's all my thoughts. u_u
    Overall, I'm loving the new names; some of them are going to be pretty easy to remember as well.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Time to give my share of opinion on the English names announced. :P

So!
    Minccino (Jap. - Chillarmy) I actually do not mind the new name at all. It rolls off the tongue well and fits it decently.

Gigalith (Jap. - Gigaith) Gotta say, loving the English name for this one. I find it simpler to pronounce and I like it more than the Japanese name. n_n

Sandile (Jap. - Meguroco) To be honest, Sandile seems moreover a feminine name. Eh, not so fond of the change and Meguroco is just so much better imo. :(

Blitzle (Jap. - Shimama) Shimama...I never really liked the name for such a 'striking' Pokémon. I longed to hear the English name for this one and I have to say, I'm liking it. It suits the Electric typing as a name and sounds really cool overall.

Pidove (Jap. - Mamepato) I'm guessing with this name, they've combined the two words 'Pidgeon' and 'Love'; also to fit the ability. Kind of generic, but I like it more than Mamepato.

Klink (Jap. - Gear) And I thought to myself, how much more generic can this Pokémon' name be? Gear > Klink, but I guess Klink is a bit more original-ish.

Darmanitan (Jap. - Hihidaruma) I'll definitely miss saying Hihidaruma. It's so fun to say and rolls of the tongue with a "hihi" and adding the "daruma" part; also makes it easier to remember. Darmanitan, I don't really like this name too much. :( It'll take some time getting used to as well.

Munna ( Jap. - Munna) What can you say? I kind of predicted Munna would have kept the name; it suits it so well and it's a lovely name. <3 I'm glad they didn't change it.

And there's all my thoughts. u_u
    Overall, I'm loving the new names; some of them are going to be pretty easy to remember as well.

This. Frankly, I'm getting used to Nintendo giving such weird yet oddly suitable names.

I'm just glad that Castelia City is a pretty name, although it's weird for Professor Araragi to be Professor Juniper.

The Red Chain

---------------------------------------------------------
    Minccino [Chillarmy] - I'm still trying to figure out the origin, but it's really not that awful to me. It sounds kinda cute when I say it outloud. x3;
    Gigalith [Gigaiath] - Somewhat romanized name, so it's alright.
    Sandile [Meguroco] - Ooooo, now I really like this one. It's really straightforward, but it makes me think of an actual sand dial, making it awesome. <3
    Blitzle [Shimama] - Makes me think too much of Floatzel, but I guess it's okay. ]:
    Pidove [Mamepato] - Not too bad, not too bad. Don't mind!
    Klink [Gear] - I definitely like this more than Gear, so we're good~
    Darmanitan [Hihidaruma] - Definitely preferring Hihidaruma. Darmanitan's a bit harder to remember and say. D; It also makes me think of the word "martian" when I try to say it.
    Professor Araragi [Professor Juniper] - .... Juniper? Why not Orchid? That would have been better to me, but oh well. ]:
    Munna - No comment, happily~

Sheer force [Encourage] - Prefer Encourage.
    Overconfidence/M
    oxie - .... Wut?
    Big Pecks [Pigeon Heart] - .... Okay seriously, Big Pecks? Really? Hate it. Prefer Pigeon Heart. >__>;

Castelia City [Huin City] - Again, not bad.. but it'll take getting used to. XD;
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I hope Rankurusu gets named Ranculus. I just noticed that romanization the other day, and I loveee saying it. :D

Years
    For me the real name reveal will be how to pronounce these names correctly. I'm still trying to figure out "Oshawott", and along comes "Pidove".

Klink -> Klinker (clinker is a cement product) -> Klinkernel (as in Colonel Klink)? That might actually be funny.

"Gothiruselle" is 12 letters, "Gochiruzeru" is 11 letters. How likely is it that they'll remove the 10-character "limit" for this generation?

I think you mean Blitzen.
    Oh yeah forgot about that pesky 10 character limit on the english names...I guess they could name it Gothangel considering it's based on a Gothic angel, lol how ironic as Gothic originally meant a style of church building and also the name of northern European people (the Visogoths).

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Snivy (Direct translation of Tsutarja, like it.)
    Tepig (Okay, indifferent about it.)
    Oshawott (I like the possible Samurai route they went with.)
    Pasage (Have no issue with any of the monkey's names.)
    Pansear (Have no issue with any of the monkey's names.)
    Panpour (Have no issue with any of the monkey's names.)
    Minccino (I prefer Chillarmy; but not a bad name.)
    Gigalith (So close to the Japanese I thought it was the same at first.)
    Sandile (I see where they went with it, I would've preferred Croceye though.)
    Blitzle (I can see where they got this since Blitzkrieg = Lighting War.)
    Pidove (I never really cared about the name Mamepato, so I like this.)
    Klink (I think this works better than Gearl.)
    Darmanitan (Looks like Daruma + Orangutan.)
    Munna (Same as Japanese, no opinion.)
    Zorua (I still hate this retarded romanization the "u" bothers me.)
    Zoroark (Like it, same as Japanese.)
    Reshiram (Same as Japanese.)
    Zekrom (Same as Japanese.)

18 so far, I hope that Wargle keeps its name.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back