• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    AKBFAWHB the new names are all hard to say, or sound really... bad. I like none of them >.>

Patrat- really necessary? It is such a bad name...
    Braviary- make me sound like I have a European accent
    Gothitelle- TV? Would sound better if it were Gothizelle or something
    Reuniclus- Ridunculas? The name sounds a bit ridiculous :/
    Axew- It sounds weird in a bad way. I am wondering how it got this name
    Cofagrigas- erm... it is okay, again sounds really strage, like they are scrambling to think up proper names.
    Drilbur- this one is actually the only one I like.
    Woobat- WHY!! What sort of name is that, to that poor little love bat?
    Musharna- Stayed the same thank God, as predicted.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think it's Galvantula, not to sure.

^

...actually on the rumoured, I like crookodile. It is creative, so in a way I hope some of them are confirmed. Anddd from the looks of it, we'll get our Pignite and Emboar (mind if I celebrate early?)

And if they're fake then I'll kinda be sad, since I do like a few of them. :(

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    I really think I'm going to nickname most of my pokemon in Black white because most of the names are pretty bad

Speed

Skyward
    Years

^

...actually on the rumoured, I like crookodile. It is creative, so in a way I hope some of them are confirmed. Anddd from the looks of it, we'll get our Pignite and Emboar (mind if I celebrate early?)

And if they're fake then I'll kinda be sad, since I do like a few of them. :(

Crookodile reminds me too much of Tododile; but Pignite is a great name, for any pokemon. But which one is it supposed to be for?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Pignite is for Chaoubou or whatever it's called. :3

...oh so that's why I like that name so much, Totodile is awesome. Also on the rumoured, Tranquill (which sounds really nice), Cyndaquil... do we have a Rita? :(

Also if the names do turn out real, then I won't get Yorterrie. ;; And Yorterrie works perfectly as is. :(

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    early rumors are a bit of a spoiler alert for me, so I'll just keep using Japanese names for now. And while I love all these names, I cant help but be annoyed by Cofagrigus. Notice how it has a certain word in it? Not that I'm against gays, I'm a gay supporter.

But I don't think you actually pronounce it that way. I hope. Coh-fuh-gree-guhs. *shrug*

Free fall/Japan = Sky Drop/English? That sounds like it would be switched around. Sky Drop/Japan and Free fall/English. But ehh, I've never really paid attention to Japanese names till now. xD

Patrat sounds like Patrick. xD

CROOKodile? xDD Punny names are...punny. :P

I don't really like the name Braviary that much. It sounds like they're trying too hard with clever names. Wargle was good enough.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2011

...oh so that's why I like that name so much, Totodile is awesome. Also on the rumoured, Tranquill (which sounds really nice), Cyndaquil... do we have a Rita? :(

Also if the names do turn out real, then I won't get Yorterrie. ;; And Yorterrie works perfectly as is. :(

Completely agree about Yorterrie and if Zuruguu and Zuruzukin's name ended up being the rumored ones then I have a ton of nicknaming to do.

Speed

Skyward
    Years

If Pignite is it's name, Pignition should be it's evo., that would fit really well. xD

And there are always nicknames if a Pokemon doesn't get the name you want.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Belle is now Bianca. Cheren stays, I honesty thought it would've been the other way around.

On the official B/W site. Along with the IGN revealed names.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    Why does Woobat have to sound similar to Zubat?
    I like Woobat much more. :(

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Woo! \o/ Serebii announced more english names.

Braviary - Wargle
    Patrat - Minezumi
    Gothitelle - Gochiruzeru
    Reuniclus - Rankurusu
    Cofagrigus - Desukan
    Drilbur - Mogurew
    Axew - Kibago
    Woobat - Kokomori
    Musharna stays the same \o/

Dust Proof is no Overcoat, Sandpower is Sand force, Sand Strength is now Sand Rush.

Double chop is now Dual Chops, Heart stamp stays the same. You first is after. .___.

Free fall is now sky drop.

Mokomo is called Fennel.

Desukan.. what have they done to you? :| <33
    My 2 cents on the English names (meaning, if possible, will be in parentheses; some people may already know the meanings):
    -Braviary (Bravery + avian): Wargle is better, since War + eagle makes more sense
    -Patrat (derived from pack-rat?): I could live with that, but it sounds slightly worse than "Bidoof."
    -Gothitelle (derived from gothic?): I can live with this, but BP's romanization sounds better.
    -Reuniclus (homonculus + reincarnate?): It's hard for me to pronounce.
    -Cofagrigus (coffin + ?): Slightly easier to pronounce than "Reuniclus."
    -Drillbur (drill + ?): I like this one.
    -Axew (Axe + chew): I like this one, too. For some reason, whenever I say it, I think of Gible.
    -Woobat (Woo (impress) + bat): Oh, god, what have they done? This makes Zubat an even better name in comparison :/
    -Musharna (same as Japanese): I'm happy they kept it.
    -Fennel: Sounds awkward for some reason.

I don't mind the new attack names. As for the "other English names" that were revealed, I like "Serperior" and "Emboar" (I saw the second one coming).

solarowl

Years
    Belle is now Bianca. Cheren stays, I honesty thought it would've been the other way around.

Dang! I wanted Bel to be Belle. :(
    At least Cheren keeps his name.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ..I just realised. MY THEORY IS WRONG! :( Everything I knew is wrooong.
    Now I don't know when we'll get new info. D:

And wow about Bianca/Cheren. I guess in a way that means I'll always be associating Jake to Cheren then. XD Bianca... idk, I somewhat prefer Bel. :x

Years
    Wow, these names are BEAUTIFUL. I can't think of one name that I really don't like, tbh. (SCRAGGY AND SCRAFTY, WTH?) Some names are uncreative, and that's a good thing~ It brings back the Generation 1 feel to the Pokemon. I've already gotten used to some of the names that I REALLY hated... like Cofagrigus. (Which is now very easy for me to pronounce :>) I think NoA has done an actually GOOD job renaming the Pokemon. And Bianca for Bel's English name is perfect.

Last edited:

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    I'm hoping Axew's name (Kibago) is pronounced as A-zu. I'll be pissed if they pronounce it as Ax-ew. >.<

As for Wargle, I thought Braviary was pretty clever, but pretty lame too. I'm just gonna nickname it Wargle when I get one. ¬___¬

Angelique

Le Magnifique
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2014

Bianca is confirmed? It means white. Cheren already means black so. Love. <33

Also, 596 Galvantula Denchura:
    a : to subject to the action of an electric current especially for the purpose of stimulating physiologically
    b : to stimulate or excite as if by an electric shock

These are really creative. Yay for increasing my vocabulary. First, tepid. Now, galvanize. XD

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    Bianca...Belle...they're both great names. I wouldn't know why anyone would complain about it. It's not as strange as Cofagrigus.

solarowl

Years
    Braviary: I actually like it a bit, but I think Wargle is a much better name.
    Patrat: I don't really like it. It doesn't even make sense to me.
    Gothitelle: Sounds like Gothic television. XD
    Reuniclus: Sounds like Nucleus. I was expecting a better name than this.
    Cofagrigus: Again. What a worse name than it could be.
    Drillbur: I actually like this name.
    Axew: Kind of cute for me. But I'd rather have them include axe in one of its evolutions names.
    Musharna: Good that they kept it.

After sounds like a weird name for a move. o_O

Fennel is a weird name, for Mokomo. :|

Actually I think Bianca isn't as bad. I just like Bel more.

Last edited:

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I never stated my opinion's on the new names:

Braviary: I don't see the point of renaming a Pokémon with an already English name. But, I like it. I find it clever. Looks like (Brave + Aviary).

Patrat: Not much of an opinion for a Pokémon I don't have much of an opinion for. Looks like (Patrol + Rat).

Gothitelle: Don't even like the Pokémon, but it's name looks like an awkward mutilation of the Japanese name. Gothisele or Gothizelle would work better if you ask me.

Reuniclus: I like it, a simple name for a simple Pokémon. Looks like (Reunite + Homonculus).

Cofagrigus: No opinion, they could've incorperated the Death part of the Japanese name. Is it really that taboo to say death? The only part of the name I can tell is the Cof from coffin.

Drilbur: Like it. Simple name for a simple Pokémon. Looks like (Drill + burrow).

Axew: Don't mind it. I was wondering what it could be but, I came to this conclusion. Axe + Jaw.

Woobat: Like it, it's a pun. But, it fits. Plus it looks like they're making fun of the fact that it's the generation's Zubat. Looks like or is (Woo; to impress + bat).

Musharna: No opinion, it's the Japanese name.

Fennel is an awkward name. I have no idea where they got it from either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back